Forum Index

Full Version: Encap Green on Cotton Sofa
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I have a cotton sofa that I need to clean and would like to use Encap Green on it. Has anyone had success with it? I only used Encap Green for carpets and rugs, but not on cotton upholstery. I would HWE the sofa with my Sapphire Scientific upholstery tool, low temperature, low PSI and fast dry them with the air movers.
I  have been using it to clean upholstery for a few years now because it has a safe ph and cleans very good with the right agitation. I use oscillating machines with micro fiber cloths to remove the encap green and soil. I can clean all fabrics this way no matter how delicate because I mist run micro cloths and repeat until soil is removed and can keep fabric much drier than using a shearing tool or spotter tool.  Some sensitive fabrics with stains I will pull out hair drier to go over a stain repeatedly.
Look at my youtube page to find videos.
Thanks for the reply. Since I don't have an oscillating machine for the upholstery, would it be okay if I used a handheld orbital buffer/polisher temporarily?
(10-07-2015, 09:55 PM)Wretched Wrote: [ -> ]Thanks for the reply. Since I don't have an oscillating machine for the upholstery, would it be okay if I used a handheld orbital buffer/polisher temporarily?

Yes. Orbital buffer is the same as a oscillating machine. Just different words to describe the same thing.
(10-07-2015, 07:08 PM)joel hoppe Wrote: [ -> ]I  have been using it to clean upholstery for a few years now because it has a safe ph and cleans very good with the right agitation. I use oscillating machines with micro fiber cloths to remove the encap green and soil. I can clean all fabrics this way no matter how delicate because I mist run micro cloths and repeat until soil is removed and can keep fabric much drier than using a shearing tool or spotter tool.  Some sensitive fabrics with stains I will pull out hair drier to go over a stain repeatedly.

Hey Joel, your videos are awesome! Very helpful indeed. Good Job . I have noticed you were using 2 different orbital tools to clean upholstery. Should I get both the 10" and 6" orbital polishers, or having just one of them is fine for now?
Smaller machines are easy on your back and good for tight spots the 10 inch stepson I use for big areas and cushions because it is fast and is also for stairs.

Best thing on furniture is using many micro fiber cloths the more you use the better your results.

Car buffers are ok but they slow down when applying pressure but they are light.
Joel I am interested that you say you are cleaning virtually all upholstery with encap green, stepson and microfiber pads.  Are you using the straight blue MF pads for uph or the same ones with the scrub strips?  

Thanks.  We have been considering starting to do more uph and I have been contemplating whether to try LM methods for it or get a small extractor with uph tool.  Thoughts?

Also I know prices vary from region to region, but what would you guys consider a standard charge for cleaning like dining room type chairs, a la-z-boy type of recliner chair, and then love seats and couches.
(10-09-2015, 01:48 PM)Grant D Wrote: [ -> ]Joel I am interested that you say you are cleaning virtually all upholstery with encap green, stepson and microfiber pads.  Are you using the straight blue MF pads for uph or the same ones with the scrub strips?  

Thanks.  We have been considering starting to do more uph and I have been contemplating whether to try LM methods for it or get a small extractor with uph tool.  Thoughts?

Also I know prices vary from region to region, but what would you guys consider a standard charge for cleaning like dining room type chairs, a la-z-boy type of recliner chair, and then love seats and couches.

Grant
I use microfiber cloths   12x12 or 16x16  they stay on velcro better and are very absorbent. Check out my videos on upholstery for a view of them. They also do not leave loose fiber on fabrics.

Pricing is based on what you think your time is worth and are you willing to walk away from customers that dont want to pay you $50 for chairs and $100-$300 for sofas or sectionals. 10 years ago I remember a standard for pricing when you are iicrc certified and are confident you can clean furniture is $15 a linear ft for cleaning sofas and $5 ft for protector.  $20 a ft for leather cleaning and protecting.  small chairs or cushions can be included with other furniture for $5-$20 a piece.

The question is always how low are you willing to go. When you arent sure how to clean furniture and the customer senses that-------------------- you will work for practice instead of profit.

High end expensive fabric needs to be dry very fast after you apply any neutral cleaning agent or you may have problems----misting  running micros and repeating encap green has worked better than dry solvent solutions i have used for making sensitive white fabrics look great.

Classes help you identify fabrics by giving you hands on to many fabrics or you can learn as you go on the job and ask customer what their fabric is every time you clean furniture. low moisture approach will keep you out of trouble 95% of the time.
http://www.imagetextile.com/16x16-blue-m...oCUjnw_wcB

Are these the same type of microfiber cloths you are using Joel?
You are also using them for stair cleaning it looks like?
Do you ever use Peroxcellent on upholstery either instead of encap green or as a booster?

Thank you.
Yes they are the ones.

I use them the most on furniture. I use 21 inch pads on stairs---gray micros and glads

If i boost with peroxide it is only on white fabrics and only low percent---3% or less. Peroxide can weaken fibers on 100% cotton
Thank you Joel for the speedy response!

I'm trying to get more comfortable with doing upholstery so I don't have to turn that work down and so I can actually upsell it. I just purchased a small spotter machine because I wanted to give that a try but I'm not sure I see an advantage of using that vs. my Gem Polisher and encap green. I did a couple of dining room chairs from my house and I really couldn't tell the difference between the one I cleaned using HWE and the one I used VLM on. If anything the VLM one was slightly better but it's not a fair test because I really don't know how to use the spotter very well yet. I may have been doing something wrong.
I used a spotter machine for many years and then a truckmount with the shear tool or low moisture tools for truckmount. They work fine you just have to use less prespray and less rinse then you think. Biggest problem is over wetting white cotton or delicate fabrics with too much solution.

Many complain they can not clean furniture with micro fiber pads or cloths but when you repeat the process a few times on heavy soil you can remove
more soil then going over fabric fast with a powerful vacuum.   Maybe 30 min of vac strokes and a hair drier--- may compare to ten micro fiber rags that take 15 min to clean an bad area on furniture. Mist encap green or spot and boost green and then remove with cloths and repeat. Test chems on fabric first to see how they react to fibers and dyes. Spot and boost green is not the best for white cotton but great for oil on a lot of fibers. Ph is key and neutral is best.
Do you mix the Encap green stronger for upholstery than you do for carpets?
Yes
2 oz to a 32oz sprayer--test and play
And still sometimes have to try other spotters for stains.
Do you clean all upholstery that comes your way with this method?
Yes
(10-07-2015, 07:08 PM)joel hoppe Wrote: [ -> ]I  have been using it to clean upholstery for a few years now because it has a safe ph and cleans very good with the right agitation. I use oscillating machines with micro fiber cloths to remove the encap green and soil. I can clean all fabrics this way no matter how delicate because I mist run micro cloths and repeat until soil is removed and can keep fabric much drier than using a shearing tool or spotter tool.  Some sensitive fabrics with stains I will pull out hair drier to go over a stain repeatedly.

Joel, your videos are always so good. I'm was wondering if you have produced a video of you doing this? Thanks for all you do to help others
(04-15-2016, 08:53 AM)Fred Wrote: [ -> ]

Joel, your videos are always so good. I'm was wondering if you have produced a video of you doing this? Thanks for all you do to help others

thanks Thanks Fred
I can not teach video editing ----you will have to use your phone with hd video and play with a video editing program that comes with any new computer
and practice. Probably lots of info when you search google and most kids today can show you in 5 min.

1    Take video from a new hd phone
2    Plug into computer---make a file and load video
3    Put together and edit on your computer video edit program of choice
4    Load on youtube
5    Use on your website
Fred

After looking at your post again I  am not sure I understood what you were looking for?

If you want upholstery videos there is a playlist on the home page of youtube listing upholstery videos.
(04-16-2016, 10:22 PM)joel hoppe Wrote: [ -> ]Fred
Appreciate it.

After looking at your post again I  am not sure I understood what you were looking for?

If you want upholstery videos there is a playlist on the home page of youtube listing upholstery videos.