Forum Index

Full Version: Machine Lifespan
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
How many years/hours are you getting out of your VLM equipment?
4 years on Orbot. Maybe spent 200 on plates and parts. Have done thousands of jobs with it.
(05-03-2016, 12:43 AM)thecleaningdude Wrote: [ -> ]How many years/hours are you getting out of your VLM equipment?

Over 6 yrs on my Challenger zero issues other than a bent bell. Orbot I got used no issues other than clogged spray jets and a leaky pump. I also have a 2 speed rotary I blew a capacitor due to faulty wiring in the building
(05-04-2016, 01:47 PM)bigchuckie Wrote: [ -> ]
(05-03-2016, 12:43 AM)thecleaningdude Wrote: [ -> ]How many years/hours are you getting out of your VLM equipment?

Over 6 yrs on my Challenger zero issues other than a bent bell. Orbot I got used no issues other than clogged spray jets and a leaky pump. I also have a 2 speed rotary I blew a capacitor due to faulty wiring in the building

Leaky and clogged jets has been a problem with mine as well....
(05-06-2016, 01:40 AM)thecleaningdude Wrote: [ -> ]
(05-04-2016, 01:47 PM)bigchuckie Wrote: [ -> ]

Leaky and clogged jets has been a problem with mine as well....

Can you put check valves on the jets? I use them on my wand jets and they work great.

I had an orbot and I now have a CX. No issues with either but would like to find a solution before it becomes a problem.
Unlike a 175-300rpm rotary machine that can be used for 30 years without repairing anything--- the Trinty Op machine and the Orbot Op machine will not hold up for 10 years without some kind of repair. Maybe the new designs from both companys will hold up better? I noticed another thread on another board someone having problems with the bolts melting on bottom of the orbot pad holder like the threads I read about 2010-2011. Lots of guys are changing the velcro to the red brush driver like the trinty machines.The trinty machines have had to be redesigned because of the faster speed and vibration is hard on all bearings on the machine and the adjustable frame is nice but not the best for smooth operation.

After comparing 175-300 rotarys and cimex and orbot I was willing to gamble on the trinty and was told it would have to be tightened and repaired because of the vibration.
My Trinty Cm machines have been re designed over the years I have had them. The main motor bearings are different the motors are different and the frames are now different. My machine is now obsolete after owning them since 2012. Like cars and motorcycles and many machines. The good thing is that those that can wait for the kinks  to be are worked out and improvements made get better machines.

I did not want to wait and had some of the first cm machines made which needed motors and bearings repaired and frames replaced........ I have made lots of money without using hoses so the repairs and upgrades have not bothered me because I have spent less on repairs since 2012-2016 compared to repairing my truckmount and 2 portables and one dry clean machines.

Both of my CM machines  now have the new 5 amp motor which has a better design to hold bearings. Since 2015 with 2 new motors they run smooth and are run every week over 500-600 carpet jobs a year some large some small. No problems or repairs in the last year.

The original leeson motors from 2011--2014 would need the 2 internal bearings replaced each year because the design that held bearing in place would loosen. The bearings are less than $20 and are available online but the job of replacing them is not for those who hate mechanics.
A lot of the machines I see online in videos would rattle because frame bearings or motor bearings would wear and loosen up.
The 12 small frame bearings and wheel bearings are available in my local ace hardware  $4-5 each so I replace the frame bearings if I notice the machine vibrates a little.

You can compare the my first few videos 2011-2012 and the new machines run smoother than those first few videos.

No other repairs except motor replacement and small frame bearings from 2012 till now....I am surprised how long the 60 psi pumps and switches have kept going.

The powder coat does chip and rust fast on bell and frame. The new red bell I put on 1 machine in 2015 has been wiped down with slick 50 oil and are holding up better than when I ignored cleaning the machine. The handle frame paint has held up better since 2012 on both machines but the lower frame that holds wheels gets wet and chipped and needs to be repainted after a couple of years.

When cleaners talk about what they do not like about the old machines and what they want to see in the new machines on all of the forums and facebook  we all win because only the companys that offer better machines at better prices will continue to be in business.

Stainless steel sprayers-- plates-- bolts--fittings--and frames is what is needed on all of the OP and rotary machines unless new non-corrosive composite metal or strong plastic becomes available.  The 2 capacitor motor with lower amps is the only way to run these machines.
Joel I have asked for stainless steel bell cover on the Trinity pretty much since my first machines bell housing started to fall apart. I have since bought 2 new style bell housings ($400 each) with powder coat and both paint jobs have completely fell apart in less than a year. The problem is that the preparation was not done properly before painting. I am going to be sending 4 bell housings out to get Line X put on and if that does not hold up I will get my own bell housings made up out of stainless steel.

This is not rocket science. There are thousands of rotaries out their that are over 20 years old and have no issues with their bell housings.
Linex sounds like a good idea.
It still may chip and the encap starts to make all of the surfaces white unless you wipe with oil or silicone spray. Get gray color linex

You probably can buy that coating in a spray can and apply it your self.

My local ace ace hardware has undercoating in spray cans.  I bought a can of stainless metal flake spray at ace hardware and resprayed my silver bell. It has been holding up about a year but is starting to rust a little where the sprayers always drip.

Other thing I was thinking to take and have my whole machine chromed but i'm too cheap.

I am sure stainless frames and bell will cost us another $3000 on machine so we will have to do it ourselfs at local metal shop. Use Head
Maybe linex would not chip..........

linex video

watermelon
Line X can do colors and color matching so I will be getting a shiny silver to help hide the encap spray. To me any color on the bell housing will always look bad with the kind of chems and dirt we are subject to.
Line x seems to stain fairly easy?

What about por 15. Seems you can patch areas pretty easily

Sent from my SM-N920W8 using Tapatalk

My original Orbot is still working now after 5 years, got another one used 4 years ago.  I have done several repairs on leaky lines, filters in spray head, and I have one pump out.  I also have had 4 square stripping machines.  All but the cheapest one is still working great.  In the past I used rotaries, had to replace them every 1 to 2 years, not a fan, of the low life span nor the sling and splash factors, or the side to side factor, though it can be ran straight forward.  Loving the orbital tech.
I wish I would have installed an hour meter oh my vlm gear... Just because

(05-11-2016, 09:59 PM)cleantech Wrote: [ -> ]I wish I would have installed an hour meter oh my vlm gear... Just because

Ya all our equipment should have Hr. meters. When I got my 4 hp electric pump from SteamBrite. I got them to install an hr. meter on it. It is great . I use it for pump oil changes and motor greasing maintenance. It will also let me know how long things last before they wear out or break down. It also lets me know how much I have used it and hence how much money it cost me for the amount of time I used it.
Come to think about it when I get my next OP machine I am going to get them to install an hr. meter or I will get it done myself.