Forum Index

Full Version: Tile and Grout Cleaning
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
What is your process on tile and grout cleaning?  What chemicals do you use?

I have a Nautilus MX3 1200 and an SX 15 spinner.  I plan on spraying Anomally down with a pump up sprayer and using the SX 15 with fresh water to pick it up.  Do I need to tape everything off?  Do I need other chemicals during the rinse or before using the Anomally?  This process is new to me, so I have some questions on the machine as well...if anyone else uses one or something similar.  
The Nautilus has auto fill and auto dump.  When you are cleaning someone's tile at their house, do you use these features, or do you simply feel the tank up with fresh water and dump the recovery tank later?  Or, are you hooking the auto fill up in the house and using the auto dump somewhere in the house or outside as well.  I suppose the use of the machine and process are my biggest questions.  Any help would greatly be appreciated.  I plan on attending the tile and stone school in Florida soon, but I'm not sure that will help me with the equipment use issue in someone's house.
I use the auto pumpout and auto fill because the amount of water you will go through can not be done by filling machine with a bucket. 100's of gallons for a large home.

The adapters for sink faucets are getting more and more difficult to use because of new faucets and some wash machines are under cabinets with no access to water lines.
It will depend on every job you do and if you have zero experience you will need to learn as you go and use common sense---that is what I have had to do with the portables and truckmounts I have used.When i bought the nautilus last year I tried to get info from my supplier and from scott warrington who is a interlink rep on truckmount forums and mikey's board about the stainless filter in the recovery tank that i had problems with and info how long the new style pump for out pump. No answers could be found because no one gave feed back on machine in 2 years of use.  The filter rusts and clogs in 3 months in tank because there is steel under the stainless screen that rust and clogs. I had to deal with it. Made a plastic filter for back up and drain tank and make sure filter does not sit in any water overnight.
The pumpout is holding up even though it runs non stop while running machine. Had one problem when pump needed water in inlet to prime pump after it sat too long dry because i always drian water out of tank so filter doesnt rust. every machine is a pain in the deadhorse

What can help is to go online to steambrite and interlink and search for all of the electrical adapters and all of the water faucet adapter kits for portables. I run my nautilus from my van when the job is a home and use 100--150 ft of hose. Dump in toilets when possible and be careful if you are going to dump on lawn---not always a good idea. Get dryer outlet adapter so you can run electric cords to dryer when available or hot water heater. 220 splits into 2  110 cords to machine

Can the place where you bought your machine give you any info on how to use machine and clean tile?

Search here for past threads in the hwe section and post questions there too.
Check other forums on the net for info on running portable for tile.

I can not get all white grout to look good by using only a 12 ph cleaner for tile.  Anomaly or grease hawg---- Even if it is a powder with oxy and citrus boosters. Tile products that are low ph will make white grout look better than just the high ph products.  A brush machine speeds up the job when floor is bad---crb or an oreck orbitor helps. You only need plastic if you use a low ph tile product.

Try to wait until you take class  or practice on flloors that are not paying customers.
I'm FAR, FAR, FAR from an expert in tile cleaning but I'll just tell you what I do and you can do with it what you want.  Been doing carpet for 22 years and tile for only 5 years or so, and not a whole lot of it during those 5 years.

I use as a chemical either Grease Hawg or Shorebest 2790.  I'm still trying to figure out which one is the best.  The thing about GreaseHawg, at least what is says, is it doesnt need to be rinsed. I totally do NOT believe that.  I feel you MUST rinse and extract the dirty slop that is left over after scrubbing.  Shorebest MUST be rinsed.

I've just recently started using a CRB to scrub the grout lines.  Works very well IMHO.  Before that I used a 175 with a brush.  If you use a 175 you must use some kind of "slop ring" to contain the cleaning solution that the 175 will sling out all over the place.  You'll also need a small hand brush to get into the corners/edges a bit better.  I just bought a brush for my portable hand drill that I'm going to try out for corners.

I use a portable extractor with a Gecko floor squeegee, not a spinner.  It's used to rinse and extract the cleaner and dirt.

Maybe I am doing something wrong but I only use a few gallons of water to rinse with.  Of course it depends on the size of the job but like I did a 600 sq/ft tile job and like I said a few gallons to rinse.

I then put a fan down to help dry and I might use a couple of towels to "ice skate" around on the tile to dry areas.

I only do floor tiles - ceramic and porcelain only.

I'm feeling more and more confident all the time doing tile/grout but I still like doing carpet way better and I surely don't want to do tile jobs that are 1000's of sq/ft.   I'm way more tired after doing tile than I am doing carpet.   

Hope that helps.
(06-09-2016, 06:27 PM)joel hoppe Wrote: [ -> ]I use the auto pumpout and auto fill because the amount of water you will go through can not be done by filling machine with a bucket. 100's of gallons for a large home.

The adapters for sink faucets are getting more and more difficult to use because of new faucets and some wash machines are under cabinets with no access to water lines.
It will depend on every job you do and if you have zero experience you will need to learn as you go and use common sense---that is what I have had to do with the portables and truckmounts I have used.When i bought the nautilus last year I tried to get info from my supplier and from scott warrington who is a interlink rep on truckmount forums and mikey's board about the stainless filter in the recovery tank that i had problems with and info how long the new style pump for  out pump. No answers could be found because no one gave feed back on machine in 2 years of use.  The filter rusts and clogs in 3 months in tank because there is steel under the stainless screen that rust and clogs. I had to deal with it. Made a plastic filter for back up and drain tank and make sure filter does not sit in any water overnight.
The pumpout is holding up even though it runs non stop while running machine. Had one problem when pump needed water in inlet to prime pump after it sat too long dry because i always drian water out of tank so filter doesnt rust. every machine is a pain in the deadhorse

What can help is to go online to steambrite and interlink and search for all of the electrical adapters and all of the water faucet adapter kits for portables. I run my nautilus from my van when the job is a home and use 100--150 ft of hose. Dump in toilets when possible and be careful if you are going to dump on lawn---not always a good idea. Get dryer outlet adapter so you can run electric cords to dryer when available or hot water heater. 220 splits into 2  110 cords to machine

Can the place where you bought your machine give you any info on how to use machine and clean tile?

I can not get all white grout to look good by using only a 12 ph cleaner for tile.  Anomaly or grease hawg---- Even if it is a powder with oxy and citrus boosters. Tile products that are low ph will make white grout look better than just the high ph products.  A brush machine speeds up the job when floor is bad---crb or an oreck orbitor helps. You only need plastic if you use a low ph tile product.

Try to wait until you take class  or practice on flloors that are not paying customers.

Thanks for the feedback.  So, you are running two electrical cords all the way out to your truck, 100 to 150 feet of hose into the house, and a water hose from the truck to a toilet for auto pump out.  Makes sense, it just seems that the customer wouldn't like this.  I'm assuming you are present at the toilet when the auto pump is running to avoid any mishaps.  It just seems like a lot of steps to me....you obviously know more than I do, but seems the homeowner wouldn't like all of this.  I was hoping the Nautilus would be easier, but that doesn't seem to be the case.  Also seems like it is not that great of quality....it was pretty expensive, so that is disappointing.
(06-09-2016, 08:26 PM)kcoff Wrote: [ -> ]
(06-09-2016, 06:27 PM)joel hoppe Wrote: [ -> ]I use the auto pumpout and auto fill because the amount of water you will go through can not be done by filling machine with a bucket. 100's of gallons for a large home.

It will depend on every job you do and if you have zero experience you will need to learn as you go and use common sense---that is what I have had to do with the portables and truckmounts I have used.When i bought the nautilus last year I tried to get info from my supplier and from scott warrington who is a interlink rep on truckmount forums and mikey's board about the stainless filter in the recovery tank that i had problems with and info how long the new style pump for  out pump. No answers could be found because no one gave feed back on machine in 2 years of use.  The filter rusts and clogs in 3 months in tank because there is steel under the stainless screen that rust and clogs. I had to deal with it. Made a plastic filter for back up and drain tank and make sure filter does not sit in any water overnight.

Thanks for the feedback.  So, you are running two electrical cords all the way out to your truck, 100 to 150 feet of hose into the house, and a water hose from the truck to a toilet for auto pump out.  Makes sense, it just seems that the customer wouldn't like this.  I'm assuming you are present at the toilet when the auto pump is running to avoid any mishaps.  It just seems like a lot of steps to me....you obviously know more than I do, but seems the homeowner wouldn't like all of this.  I was hoping the Nautilus would be easier, but that doesn't seem to be the case.  Also seems like it is not that great of quality....it was pretty expensive, so that is disappointing.

I ran a hydramaster truckmount that way since 2007 and in homes and up 8 stories too.  We needed sewer line under bldg to auto pump. Customers do not stay around when you are cleaning 1000-2500 sq ft of tile they want to leave. Most that stay have never said a word. The 2 20 amp electric cords do not add much compared to the truckmount it is all a spagetti nightmare on the ground every where. With a spinner you use a lot of water. With a brush machine and a squegee tool you may use less water but your back will hurt a lot more and you go much slower on tile.   12ph  rinse  4ph rinse touch up edges with grout brush done.
12 ph would not take off the residue from customers products which will get in grout and attract dirt. Only using opposite of what your customers uses will you remove black.  That is a $200 piece of info from tile class----always on white grout.

This is low ph sprayed only in grout lines after a 12ph product and rinse

Less hose just a lot of pads

With grease hawg you could use a dry pad then a pad with fresh water only to rinse floor and you will have very little residue from grease hawg when padding tile

I have noticed using spinners and truck and portable with 900 psi that some floors did not look good till we dried them. You will not belive me until you see it for yourself but i cleaned tile floors with 2 products and rinsed twice and could still turn 10 pads black when going over tile.
Todays job could only be done with pads in a exercise room in a highrise and floor had some type of wax or floor finish on it. The only thing that makes those look better is a grit brush with my machine handle up and 130 lbs on brush no chem or 1000psi will remove it. I have worked on a few with mop and glow and the 240 degree truck did not do much until we used 14 ph stripper on tile---took forever.
(06-09-2016, 06:27 PM)joel hoppe Wrote: [ -> ]Thanks for the feedback.  So, you are running two electrical cords all the way out to your truck, 100 to 150 feet of hose into the house, and a water hose from the truck to a toilet for auto pump out.  Makes sense, it just seems that the customer wouldn't like this.  I'm assuming you are present at the toilet when the auto pump is running to avoid any mishaps.  It just seems like a lot of steps to me....you obviously know more than I do, but seems the homeowner wouldn't like all of this.  I was hoping the Nautilus would be easier, but that doesn't seem to be the case.  Also seems like it is not that great of quality....it was pretty expensive, so that is disappointing.

I think the quality is very good. The auto pump out has lasted longer than i thought it would because it runs non stop. The filter is just a bad design. After you buy many machines-----I have seen construction equipiment $60--$100,000 over the years too and ALL equipmet needs the kinks worked out and you have to figure it out on how to keep it running. Cant rely on others or you will be waiting weeks to get machines back in service or have back up machines.

The auto pump out does not push water out too fast and does not come out of toilet if you push hose up into toilet.  You need an auto defoamer going into recovery tank like all portable tile machines because the vac valve will keep shutting your vac tube closed when foam builds up every ten minutes---look for those online or at your supplier. Goes into a gal of defoamer and is sucked into vac line.
Videos are not showing up again like last few times.  They may show up tomorrow.  Just look on my youtube under playlist for tile
(06-09-2016, 09:32 PM)joel hoppe Wrote: [ -> ]
(06-09-2016, 06:27 PM)joel hoppe Wrote: [ -> ]Thanks for the feedback.  So, you are running two electrical cords all the way out to your truck, 100 to 150 feet of hose into the house, and a water hose from the truck to a toilet for auto pump out.  Makes sense, it just seems that the customer wouldn't like this.  I'm assuming you are present at the toilet when the auto pump is running to avoid any mishaps.  It just seems like a lot of steps to me....you obviously know more than I do, but seems the homeowner wouldn't like all of this.  I was hoping the Nautilus would be easier, but that doesn't seem to be the case.  Also seems like it is not that great of quality....it was pretty expensive, so that is disappointing.

I think the quality is very good. The auto pump out has lasted longer than i thought it would because it runs non stop. The filter is just a bad design. After you buy many machines-----I have seen construction equipiment $60--$100,000 over the years too and ALL equipmet needs the kinks worked out and you have to figure it out on how to keep it running. Cant rely on others or you will be waiting weeks to get machines back in service or have back up machines.

The auto pump out does not push water out too fast and does not come out of toilet if you push hose up into toilet.  You need an auto defoamer going into recovery tank like all portable tile machines because the vac valve will keep shutting your vac tube closed when foam builds up every ten minutes---look for those online or at your supplier. Goes into a gal of defoamer and is sucked into vac line.

I really appreciate you taking the time to give me all of this information.  There is so much tile in Florida, I think I really need to get into this along with grout color sealing.  You stated that white grout needs a lower ph (acid) just on the grout lines after using a higher ph product such as anomally followed by a rinse.  Do you rinse again after the acid product with just fresh water, or are you neutralizing it also with an alkaline product.  Also, if you don't mind, what product are you using for the acid cleaner.
Always rinse after each product. Any tile low ph product will work  most are 15-20 ozs to a gal.
I use straight acid magic from ace hardware at $10 a gallon vs  $35 gal of a product that has %80 water already. I use much less acid concentrate per gallon and if I mix stronger I always neutralize floor with stone tech 7 ph product if I need to be careful of grout dissolving. Rinsing with a high pressure tile machine does not always remove all of your product especially when you are going fast.  depends on job and how grout or tile clean. No acid on any stone---you will learn how to id and test floors in tile class.

I can have some tile cleaned in less time that it takes to set up machine but i do not use pads on large jobs

Dang Joel!  I was hoping to see your videos here as I am too lazy to go to your YouTube channel right now!

What I don't comprehend in my brain is how to do all the steps you mention  might need to be done and still make it worthwhile to do tile. I'm at .60 per foot and feel like that's pretty close to the ceiling.  I don't think I'm that slow doing the steps I outlined in the post above cuz I'm pretty much hustling the whole time and if I get into applying/scrubbing/rinse-extract 3 different solutions I might as well forget doing tile/grout. 

Plus there is the problem if I start using an acid of taping and covering customers stuff.  I almost ruined a stainless steel dishwasher door when I first started.  I THOUGHT I was being careful using the acid but somehow, someway it got splashed with acid and dark spots developed. Thank god for Barkeepers Friend!

I dont think there is a question here to you....I guess I'm just thinking out loud.
Sweep/Backpack vac

Anomaly 

Grout brush challenging areas

Dwell

Orbot w/t&g brush (though you can get also get amazing results with a CRB)

Rinse

Pad dry

[Image: attachment.php?aid=696]

[Image: attachment.php?aid=697]

[attachment=696]

[attachment=697]
On some tile and grout brushing and padding does work but it will not always work on white grout.
Here is a green brush which is soft bristle compared to some grit brushes out there but it does get into grout lines good.
On a floor with white grout it could not get grout to look good with just grease hawg I had to use some acid on stained grout lines.

This job it worked great and saved me time of bringing up portable which is an hour project to unload and hook up all lines and hoses in a 20 story highrise.
It was a small tile job so i did not need over 20 pads.

video shows up when setting up post but will not show on post-----admin please help
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s1oXFrMTJPg