Forum Index

Full Version: Chenille Upholstery
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Any suggestions on the procedure to clean Chenille Upholstery?  I have a Stepson with some small pads, and I have a cyclo with the grey Brushes.  I ordered Safe N Soft, but it will probably not be here in time...I have some Encap Green.
Encap green works good as long as you only mist fabric with trigger sprayer and then pad. I usually can groom fibers to stand back up with the microfiber rags better than small glad pads. Some fabric needs a metal carding brush but not all. If you do not wet fiber too much you will not need brush. On heavy soil areas you need to repeat process of mist and pad but if you have to wet areas heavy you will need to brush and use hair dryer to make chenille look good. Some chenille is low or short some fabrics are long which require more grooming.

Encap green is fine when using 2 oz to a 32 oz trigger sprayer. Safe and soft is better to correct browning issues where customer has tried to clean and ruined fabric. With the low ph of safe and soft you have less problems with pure white or more raw cotton chenille.

Just test an area and see how it dries without speed drying then you know it is safe on furniture. Only the pure white chenille fabrics are touchy ----any color and there usually is no problem.

After testing fabric you can go very fast on sofa cleaning----almost to the point where you need to take time to prevac and  post groom so you can justify $100-$150 to clean a sofa that many company's will not touch.
(06-22-2016, 04:42 PM)joel hoppe Wrote: [ -> ]Encap green works good as long as you only mist fabric with trigger sprayer and then pad. I usually can groom fibers to stand back up with the microfiber rags better than small glad pads. Some fabric needs a metal carding brush but not all. If you do not wet fiber too much you will not need brush. On heavy soil areas you need to repeat process of mist and pad but if you have to wet areas heavy you will need to brush and use hair dryer to make chenille look good. Some chenille is low or short some fabrics are long which require more grooming.

Encap green is fine when using 2 oz to a 32 oz trigger sprayer. Safe and soft is better to correct browning issues where customer has tried to clean and ruined fabric. With the low ph of safe and soft you have less problems with pure white or more raw cotton chenille.

Just test an area and see how it dries without speed drying then you know it is safe on furniture. Only the pure white chenille fabrics are touchy ----any color and there usually is no problem.

After testing fabric you can go very fast on sofa cleaning----almost to the point where you need to take time to prevac and  post groom so you can justify $100-$150 to clean a sofa that many company's will not touch.

ThNks for your response once again.  I received my safe and soft today.  How many ounces would you mix
(06-23-2016, 04:36 PM)kcoff Wrote: [ -> ]
(06-22-2016, 04:42 PM)joel hoppe Wrote: [ -> ]Encap green works good as long as you only mist fabric with trigger sprayer and then pad. I usually can groom fibers to stand back up with the microfiber rags better than small glad pads. Some fabric needs a metal carding brush but not all. If you do not wet fiber too much you will not need brush. On heavy soil areas you need to repeat process of mist and pad but if you have to wet areas heavy you will need to brush and use hair dryer to make chenille look good. Some chenille is low or short some fabrics are long which require more grooming.

ThNks for your response once again.  I received my safe and soft today.  How many ounces would you mix

Start with directions on label.
You do not need much. Depends on size of sprayer you are using too.
(06-23-2016, 09:55 PM)joel hoppe Wrote: [ -> ]
(06-23-2016, 04:36 PM)kcoff Wrote: [ -> ]

Start with directions on label.
You do not need much. Depends on size of sprayer you are using too.
Thanks for the help again Joel.  I completed the job today.  I got the job off Thumbtack, so I had no idea what color the upholstery was.  On the way there I was saying, "please don't be white" "please don't be white".  The lady met me there and opened the door for me.  Sure enough it was white.  Thankfully with my lack of experience with upholstery, she didn't stay, so I was able to experiment and take my time.  I watched a few of your videos which helped a lot.  The Safe N Soft with the low moisture approach worked great.  The customer was happy and she enjoyed the smell.  So again, thanks Joel and Steve. Now I'm not as scared to tackle some more upholstery.
Thanks for feed back on how it worked.  Good Job

I love how fabrics look much brighter with encap cleaners after they dry. All of the white chenille I have cleaned  with encap green and safe and soft, look much better when dry compared to trying to use a regular prespray and acid rinse.