Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Week One testing Trinity CM
Well, got to test my replacement CM on several jobs this week and here are my findings.

First job was an upstairs apartment. Orbit speed #2. Tried MF pad with strips and it would not stay under the pad driver without spinning out of place. Tried several times with no luck. The first MF pad was wet but wrung out. The second one I tried was dry with some pre-spray applied to each side. It would not stay under either. The CM would shake violently while trying to run these pads.

So I go get a like new SuperZorb pad and it stayed under the driver correctly and caused the CM to run a slight bit smoother but the driver destroyed the pad in about 3 minutes.

Then I went and got a Glad pad to attempt to finish the small 2 room apartment. The Glad ran through the rest of the job but was very stringy at the end. It wouldn't have lasted much longer.

The next test job was a rental house. Short plush carpet. New glad pad and started in the living room. The machine shook so bad that a guy there that was hired to paint in the kitchen wanted to know what the hell was going on. He said it sounded like the house was coming down and wanted to know if the carpet was ruined. I told him the carpet was fine, but I had to quit after doing half of the living room. The new glad pad was starting to come apart and the handle adjustment mechanism had vibrated apart and required retightening with a wrench. I went and brought in my Challenger to finish the 4 rooms and hallway.

Here is a video of the CM at that rental house. You will have to turn up your volume to get the full effect.

The next job I took it on was a large back room of a computer store. Put a Anders microfiber pad under the driver and hit the switch. Hmmm, machine is running good and holding the pad. Did the entire job with the CM. Also tried a fiber pad that ran just fine. Was getting some vibration through the handle but not too much. This is to be expected I guess with the large orbit.
I pondered for a while and realized what was happening. The computer store carpet was on a concrete floor. The other jobs were on wood sub floors.

So today I tried the CM in my own house today, with wood sub floor. I put the CM on speed 1 this time, and used another new Glad pad. On speed 1 it ran pretty good. I could have made it through the entire house if I needed to. My wife ran it for a minute and she said that it was vibrating her skull.Tongue

Here are a few pics of the Glad pad after running for 5 minutes.

[Image: GladCM2.jpg]

[Image: GladCM1.jpg]

[Image: GladCM3.jpg]

My conclusion at this point is that the CM needs to be reworked. Either needs to have the orbit reduced or the counterbalance needs to be rebalanced. It proved to have too much power and orbit for residential situations. Way too much vibration for residential use.

On speed one, with a extra solid subfloor, you can get by, but then there is still the pad issue.
The pad driver is extremely rough on Glad type pads.

On a more positive note, if you had a large commercial situation, and you had a MF pad that would stay under it, you could easily do 5000 sq. ft. and hour, maybe more.

But for me personally, I don't have 30 and 40 thousand sq. ft. accounts but I do have a lot of residential work, so in it's present state, the Trinity CM would not be practical for me.

Reply }}
Thanks given by:
(11-18-2011, 11:22 PM)Joe G Wrote: Well, got to test my replacement CM on several jobs this week and here are my findings.

First job was an upstairs apartment. Orbit speed #2. Tried MF pad with strips and it would not stay under the pad driver without spinning out of place. Tried several times with no luck. The first MF pad was wet but wrung out. The second one I tried was dry with some pre-spray applied to each side. It would not stay under either. The CM would shake violently while trying to run these pads.

So I go get a like new SuperZorb pad and it stayed under the driver correctly and caused the CM to run a slight bit smoother but the driver destroyed the pad in about 3 minutes.

Then I went and got a Glad pad to attempt to finish the small 2 room apartment. The Glad ran through the rest of the job but was very stringy at the end. It wouldn't have lasted much longer.

The next test job was a rental house. Short plush carpet. New glad pad and started in the living room. The machine shook so bad that a guy there that was hired to paint in the kitchen wanted to know what the hell was going on. He said it sounded like the house was coming down and wanted to know if the carpet was ruined. I told him the carpet was fine, but I had to quit after doing half of the living room. The new glad pad was starting to come apart and the handle adjustment mechanism had vibrated apart and required retightening with a wrench. I went and brought in my Challenger to finish the 4 rooms and hallway.

Here is a video of the CM at that rental house. You will have to turn up your volume to get the full effect.

The next job I took it on was a large back room of a computer store. Put a Anders microfiber pad under the driver and hit the switch. Hmmm, machine is running good and holding the pad. Did the entire job with the CM. Also tried a fiber pad that ran just fine. Was getting some vibration through the handle but not too much. This is to be expected I guess with the large orbit.
I pondered for a while and realized what was happening. The computer store carpet was on a concrete floor. The other jobs were on wood sub floors.

So today I tried the CM in my own house today, with wood sub floor. I put the CM on speed 1 this time, and used another new Glad pad. On speed 1 it ran pretty good. I could have made it through the entire house if I needed to. My wife ran it for a minute and she said that it was vibrating her skull.Tongue

Here are a few pics of the Glad pad after running for 5 minutes.

[Image: GladCM2.jpg]

[Image: GladCM1.jpg]

[Image: GladCM3.jpg]

My conclusion at this point is that the CM needs to be reworked. Either needs to have the orbit reduced or the counterbalance needs to be rebalanced. It proved to have too much power and orbit for residential situations. Way too much vibration for residential use.

On speed one, with a extra solid subfloor, you can get by, but then there is still the pad issue.
The pad driver is extremely rough on Glad type pads.

On a more positive note, if you had a large commercial situation, and you had a MF pad that would stay under it, you could easily do 5000 sq. ft. and hour, maybe more.

But for me personally, I don't have 30 and 40 thousand sq. ft. accounts but I do have a lot of residential work, so in it's present state, the Trinity CM would not be practical for me.

interesting..its nice to have such an obejective review of the CM I have always thought it seemed great in theory ...but also a bit of overkill. Seems to me John would have been better served perfecting the glitches and smaller flaws in his machines that already do a great job cleaning......

Reply }}
Thanks given by:
Is it possible the carpet was loose? I have a lot rough ride and more vibration when the carpet needs to be restretched.

The Trinity will be sensitive to minor flaws in the counterbalance. Coby's seems to run great. I'll probably wait until next fall unless I do manage to land the Cov health contract, I can find the right pad for a 1,000,000+ sq ft a year account.
Reply }}
Thanks given by:
In looking at your pictures I see that the pad drivers appear to still have the "break in" period that mine had when new. It took a good 4-5 weeks of use before mine stopped doing that to pads. That said my T is still very hard on pads, it's just no longer shredding them apart in 1-2 uses. I got through the break in period by taking my large stack of restaurant and semi-retired (very thin) pads and using those.

I have been using mine on resi, however the noise and vibration are a bit too much at times. What's odd is speed 1 doesn't seem to be less noisy or to vibrate any less. I have had a couple experiences of people mentioning that it felt like an "earthquake". One time I did have to stop and go get my challenger because someone in a downstairs apartment freaked out. Several other times people have come by to see what all the shaking was about and seemed to think it was the coolest thing on earth.
Reply }}
Thanks given by:
Sounds like it's still not quite there.

She sure is loud, I can see where you'd get a few people wondering what going on. I think I could get past the noise on commercial if the unit held together but the pad shredding would be a pain.

Maybe John should look at a less powerful motor? It doesn't have to produce record setting results just a long as it does as good or slightly better than the competition.
You never rolled in the hay
Ya never thrown it in four wheel
Climb on up in here, girl
Let me show ya how country feels

"How Country Feels" Randy Houser

Reply }}
Thanks given by:
Does the maker recommend certain pads? It's not going to be very profitable if you're constantly destroying pads or getting minimal use from them. Plus the potential for damaging a carpet with the pad driver breaking through could be a real huge bummer.

Thanks for the review, Joe. Please keep us informed.
S
Reply }}
Thanks given by:
I thought John recommended the MF pads with the scrubby strips...AKA Microcaps?

I've been using those and I can see where a more powerful machine would work better.

Reply }}
Thanks given by:
I have had the problems Joe showed with the pads... LOTS with the first Trinity I purchased. And, as I posted, until I changed my velcro, the stripped microfibers kept coming off sporatically.

His also makes a "squealing" noise that I think is coming from the cable/pin???

I just got back from my "CleanTrust" classes in Anchorage last night and after my 7 hour drive... still had to go do a job, so I videoed mine for comparison on orbit 3.... ALSO, on the last part of the video, I said that the floor was a glue down on concrete... I was wrong (checked after the video was done), the offices and passenger lobby were all raised wood floors, not just the offices.

Coby Gibson
formerly: www.45Clean.com
CobyGibson@me.com

Reply }}
Thanks given by:
(11-20-2011, 10:37 PM)Coby Wrote: I have had the problems Joe showed with the pads... LOTS with the first Trinity I purchased. And, as I posted, until I changed my velcro, the stripped microfibers kept coming off sporatically.

His also makes a "squealing" noise that I think is coming from the cable/pin???

I just got back from my "CleanTrust" classes in Anchorage last night and after my 7 hour drive... still had to go do a job, so I videoed mine for comparison on orbit 3.... ALSO, on the last part of the video, I said that the floor was a glue down on concrete... I was wrong (checked after the video was done), the offices and passenger lobby were all raised wood floors, not just the offices.

Hey Coby I emailed you yesterday did you hae a chance to read yet?
Reply }}
Thanks given by:
Hey Coby I emailed you yesterday did you hae a chance to read yet?
[/quote]

No, I don't have an email from you that I can find...

Coby@45clean.com
restoredcarpet@hotmail.com
cobygibson@me.com

All three emails come to my cell phone, so I'm not sure why I didn't receive it. I was out of range, but can find on the main online servers either.....

Just found an email from a Rick in my Junk folder that I will be replying to if that is you....

Coby Gibson
formerly: www.45Clean.com
CobyGibson@me.com

Reply }}
Thanks given by:
(11-21-2011, 12:18 AM)Coby Wrote: Hey Coby I emailed you yesterday did you hae a chance to read yet?

No, I don't have an email from you that I can find...

Coby@45clean.com
restoredcarpet@hotmail.com
cobygibson@me.com

All three emails come to my cell phone, so I'm not sure why I didn't receive it. I was out of range, but can find on the main online servers either.....

Just found an email from a Rick in my Junk folder that I will be replying to if that is you....

[/quote]

That's me, whenever you get time thanks.
Reply }}
Thanks given by: