Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Max psi for upholstery?
Hello Everyone,

What is the max psi that can be used for cleaning upholstery? I have a portable that ranges between 400 psi and 1000 psi. Would the pmf tools with the closed spray work well?

Thanks,

Brian
Reply }}
Thanks given by:
Most tools that are designed for that kind of pressure have a pressure restrictor in there to reduce the PSI to a safer pressure.

You can always check with the salesman but I would think you'd be fine.
You never rolled in the hay
Ya never thrown it in four wheel
Climb on up in here, girl
Let me show ya how country feels

"How Country Feels" Randy Houser

Reply }}
Thanks given by:
Thanks for your your help Richard.

Brian
Reply }}
Thanks given by:
You can use those kind of wands or there is wands with internal jets that also have a trigger so you dont have to keep filling the portable. I would suggest using one of those they work great.
Andy Kramer
Reply }}
Thanks given by:
I seen/touched the new upholstery tools, but never used.....

Whenever I have done upholstery from a TM even, I never used much pressure... maybe as much as 150psi...

Maybe I'm just plain 'ole wierd, but I would keep it down low! If I understood correctly, the new tools don't allow hardly any "pressure"...

Coby Gibson
formerly: www.45Clean.com
CobyGibson@me.com

Reply }}
Thanks given by:
I love cleaning upholstery with a TM its faster and the heat and air flow allow for great results.

However I was also our inplant upholstery cleaner for 10-years and for most of that time I used portables up until we got an inplant electric TM.

You can actually clean very well with a portable, the low PSI and reduced vacuum work quite well for upholstery.

As Coby stated you're going be safer around 100 psi or less. I preferred less, that way you had fewer problems with jet distortion on fabrics with a pile to them or special care fabrics. Higher PSI is fine for more durable standard care fabric when the higher PSI helps flush our soils and fabrics already repel water.

Make sure you the tool has a vacuum relief so you can reduce the pull on delicate and older fabrics.

Just remember to use upholstery cleaning solutions, not carpet cleaning solutions. You have fewer problems, carpet cleaning solutions are designed to penetrate, for upholstery than can causes you many problems. The are generally too high of PH to be used on upholstery also.

You never rolled in the hay
Ya never thrown it in four wheel
Climb on up in here, girl
Let me show ya how country feels

"How Country Feels" Randy Houser

Reply }}
Thanks given by:
My JonDon porty is 55psi and is more than enough.
Danny Guerra
All Green Floor & Carpet Care
Carpet Cleaning Palmdale Ca
www.allgreencare.com
https://www.youtube.com/user/allgreencare

“Optimists are those who go after Moby dick in a row boat with a bucket of tarter sauce.” Zig Ziglar

Reply }}
Thanks given by:
Look at the construction of any fabric on furniture first and consider a few things.

The chemicals that you are going to use, especially for problem areas.

Is the fabric natural or synthetic.............

Open weave, etc;.............

How dense is it.............

Is it as thick as carpet pile............
If not, why the high pressure??

What does the soiling consist of............

High pressure is rarely needed for upholstery cleaning (IMO).

Most fabrics I use around 150psi.

Heat (not on sensitive fabrics) is good.

I can achieve excellent results by cleaning in the following manner..........

Vacuum, spot/pre-spray, dwell time, agitate, rinse/clean, groom (if required such as as silks, velvets, micro fibers, etcWink.

My upholstery cleaning tools include the HydroKinetic, Sapphire, Rotovac Dome and even the old original DriMaster, along with both a Makita variable speed polisher with bonnets & a Cyclo orbital with brushes for agitation.

I also carry dry cleaning sponges for some problem fabrics.

Hope this helps.

Shorty.
Reply }}
Thanks given by:
agreed Shorty!!!! Nicely put.
Reply }}
Thanks given by:
for upholstery I use about 150 psi and warm water when possible
Reply }}
Thanks given by: