Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Furniture Indentations?
How do you guys remove the indentations in carpet?

Before I would just try and steam them out, but am mostly VLM now and need a few tips? I have heard of the old ice cube trick, but haven't tried it yet?

Was wondering if you guys have any special procedures?

p.s. Please dont say put the furniture back over them!!! Down Laughing
Carpet Cleaning Salinas, Monterey, Pebble Beach Ca
ProGreen Kleen & Floor Care
http://Progreenkleen.net
Reply }}
Thanks given by:
(03-31-2012, 09:12 PM)Lefty724 Wrote: How do you guys remove the indentations in carpet?

Before I would just try and steam them out, but am mostly VLM now and need a few tips? I have heard of the old ice cube trick, but haven't tried it yet?

I never had to deal with this problem until recently now that I'm cleaning empty apartment units. I had one of the managers ask me if I could remove them and I tried grooming them out but you could still see them. Nice to hear any other suggestions.

Danny Guerra
All Green Floor & Carpet Care
Carpet Cleaning Palmdale Ca
www.allgreencare.com
https://www.youtube.com/user/allgreencare

“Optimists are those who go after Moby dick in a row boat with a bucket of tarter sauce.” Zig Ziglar

Reply }}
Thanks given by:
I use a little garment steamer I bought from walmart for about 20 bucks. I just place it directly over the indentation while I'm cleaning another area, then come back in a couple of minutes and groom it out with a brush. Works pretty well.
Reply }}
Thanks given by:
Hmmm, not a bad idea man!

When you say garment, do you mean like an iron? or actual steamer with a head?
Reply }}
Thanks given by:
When I have to remove furniture distortions, and they won't come out with heavy spray/dwell when I first pre-spray; then:

I carry a wagner wallpaper steamer for stubborn dye spots, I just use it to "boil" the water, using it without the hose, I pour the hot water into the spots and brush it out.

Same can be done without the brush by using your hand, BUT you must add the appropriate groaning/screams from the pain for your customer to hear.

Coby Gibson
formerly: www.45Clean.com
CobyGibson@me.com

Reply }}
Thanks given by:
Thanks for the replies guys!

Also when you guys do this, do you guys charge for the service?
Reply }}
Thanks given by:
Depends on the carpet fiber you are working with.

If it is wool, you can generally steam it with something like a steam machine, wall paper steamer, etc; such as Black & Decker, etc; tease the fibers up, and they SHOULD stay that way.

Your carpet cleaning machine, be it truck mount or porty, will not achieve the steam temperature required for this procedure.

Wool (natural) fibers are so much more forgiving in this instance.

If you are working with synthetics, nylon, polypropylene, olefin, etc; the fiber has usually lost it's "memory" (crimp), and whatever you do is usually only temporary, such as until someone stands on that area, then the pile is crushed once again.

Even with ice, whatever type you use. ;-)

Shorty.
Reply }}
Thanks given by:
(03-31-2012, 09:12 PM)Lefty724 Wrote: How do you guys remove the indentations in carpet?

take your sprayer and blast the dent marks. The over saturation reinflates the crushed pile. When dry it will be almost as good as new. I had a custy say I dont like the dent marks. I got some good advice on this board and another one that alot of us frequent

Reply }}
Thanks given by:
Ok thanks guys, I will pick up a steamer thingy and try the over saturation trick on the next one.
Reply }}
Thanks given by:
(04-01-2012, 01:21 AM)Lefty724 Wrote: Hmmm, not a bad idea man!

yea, a clothes steamer.This isn't the one that I actually have, but it's similar. http://www.walmart.com/ip/SteamFast-Comp...er/7780083

I most certainly charge extra for it. A couple months ago, there was a couple that just moved into an expensive home; the carpets were already cleaned before they bought the place, but they wanted me to do a 'once over' for good measure. In the basement, there were tons of carpet indentations from a pool table and other rec room type of furniture. I charged them an extra $100 bucks to remove the indentations. I used the steamer on some of them, and I used my iron that I do heat transfer for red stains on the others. Took me about an extra 30 mins to get the indentations up. The couple was excited after I finished. Good times...
Reply }}
Thanks given by:
(04-01-2012, 07:48 PM)CleaningGreen Wrote:
(04-01-2012, 01:21 AM)Lefty724 Wrote: Hmmm, not a bad idea man!

yea, a clothes steamer.This isn't the one that I actually have, but it's similar. http://www.walmart.com/ip/SteamFast-Comp...er/7780083

I most certainly charge extra for it. A couple months ago, there was a couple that just moved into an expensive home; the carpets were already cleaned before they bought the place, but they wanted me to do a 'once over' for good measure. In the basement, there were tons of carpet indentations from a pool table and other rec room type of furniture. I charged them an extra $100 bucks to remove the indentations. I used the steamer on some of them, and I used my iron that I do heat transfer for red stains on the others. Took me about an extra 30 mins to get the indentations up. The couple was excited after I finished. Good times...

Awesome, thanks man

Reply }}
Thanks given by:
This is what works for me as well.

Also, hitting the area with a very wet pad helps as well.

I need to check out the tool Coby is using.

(04-01-2012, 07:07 AM)bigchuckie Wrote:

take your sprayer and blast the dent marks. The over saturation reinflates the crushed pile. When dry it will be almost as good as new. I had a custy say I dont like the dent marks. I got some good advice on this board and another one that alot of us frequent

I'm just trying to hack my way to glory.

Get Encapsulation Pads & More!

1 X's Orbot, Windsor & Sanitare Vacs, Multisprayer, Oreck Orbitor, Stepson, BrushEncap (TM4) CRB  
Reply }}
Thanks given by:
Are you guys speaking of the face fiber being crushed, or or the backing being warped by a lot of weight for a long period of time? ( the pool table.) What type of carpet and fiber?
I've got that same situation. The face fiber is back up but the indentation of the back will not relax. Pool table.
Reply }}
Thanks given by:
CRB it in a couple of different directions after getting it wet. It has done the trick for me in the past.
Reply }}
Thanks given by:
(04-02-2012, 10:08 AM)rj 494 Wrote: Are you guys speaking of the face fiber being crushed, or or the backing being warped by a lot of weight for a long period of time? ( the pool table.) What type of carpet and fiber?
I've got that same situation. The face fiber is back up but the indentation of the back will not relax. Pool table.

after I was finished, it wasn't completely perfect. You could still see where the pool table marks were, but it just wasn't super matted an obvious. Most of the other dents came out perfectly. I can't remember what type of carpet it was...
Reply }}
Thanks given by: