Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Prices - Hide Them Or Let Them All Hang Out?
I list all prices on our site.

I sometimes wonder if I am doing ourselves a disservice?

How do you gents handle it?
I'm just trying to hack my way to glory.

Get Encapsulation Pads & More!

1 X's Orbot, Windsor & Sanitare Vacs, Multisprayer, Oreck Orbitor, Stepson, BrushEncap (TM4) CRB  
Reply }}
Thanks given by:
That's difficult because if you sell price then you want your customers to see it.

However it locks you into a set rate without knowing the soil load, the distance or difficulty in reaching the carpet to be cleaned, the time of day or night they want the cleaning done, or the day of the week (Saturday, Sunday), the quantity of carpet to be cleaned.

That's a lot of words just to say no we don't.
I'm sorry
You never rolled in the hay
Ya never thrown it in four wheel
Climb on up in here, girl
Let me show ya how country feels

"How Country Feels" Randy Houser

Reply }}
Thanks given by:
Thanks, good points you brought up.

Our prices are not cut rate, but they are not over the top either - at least not in our area.

When people call I ask a lot of questions and then I give them a quote. I base the quote on the package price and then add any additional charges like pet stain, etc.

The one issue that you brought up that can be a zinger sometimes is soil load. I sometimes have to charge a little extra when we get to the location if it's particularly bad.

Do you give phone quotes or only quote on site?

(08-24-2012, 07:42 AM)Richardc Wrote: That's difficult because if you sell price then you want your customers to see it.

However it locks you into a set rate without knowing the soil load, the distance or difficulty in reaching the carpet to be cleaned, the time of day or night they want the cleaning done, or the day of the week (Saturday, Sunday), the quantity of carpet to be cleaned.

I'm sorry

1 X's Orbot, Windsor & Sanitare Vacs, Multisprayer, Oreck Orbitor, Stepson, BrushEncap (TM4) CRB  
Reply }}
Thanks given by:
Both, and we do about half of each.

I'd prefer to get in the door and give an estimate, we win a pretty good share of those. Especially on commercial, it's to our benefit if we walk the site.

Reply }}
Thanks given by:
Yes, commercial we will always visit the location. Usually 100% of the time.

Residential I almost always do a phone quote otherwise I would be driving all over town all day long. Vegas is a really spread out city. Many jobs are an average of 20 - 30 miles away.

If we had a multi van, or even if I were not cleaning and had others doing the work with just one van, I would consider doing in home residential quotes.

(08-24-2012, 02:41 PM)Richardc Wrote: Both, and we do about half of each.

I'd prefer to get in the door and give an estimate, we win a pretty good share of those. Especially on commercial, it's to our benefit if we walk the site.

Reply }}
Thanks given by:
Yes I agree that's too much travel, I'd quote on the phone also.

Reply }}
Thanks given by:
You both make good points...

I will do both quotes as well depending on my day/availability. If there is a pretty big job I always try to go on site to give a quote.
Carpet Cleaning Salinas, Monterey, Pebble Beach Ca
ProGreen Kleen & Floor Care
http://Progreenkleen.net
Reply }}
Thanks given by:
I don't post prices but I do offer a 15% first time discount on my site, if you can find it, most don't. clap I think the only benefit listing price gives you is if your are the lowest price or if you just list a budget price that is for open areas only with no pre-vac or moving anything. You could always try to upsell but you've probably attracted the cheapest people.

I give phone estimates and onsite written quotes. I always tell the caller that this is an estimate and there are things like size of rooms, animal spots, and dirt content that could effect the estimate. I always walk through the job before starting looking for difficult areas and pointing them out.
Reply }}
Thanks given by:
On our new website that is nearly complete you can click to get a $15.00 coupon emailed to you. You just have to give your name & email address.

Also on that page is a check box to receive further seasonal specials throughout the year.

We capture their email address so we can do email specials and save on snail mail. There the usual disclaimer that we won't sell or use their email for anything else.

Eventually we will have an e-newsletter but for now it's just a discount coupon.

Reply }}
Thanks given by:
Our prices aren't the lowest at all, but not the highest either.

Probably somewhere in the middle. I think if I took the prices off the site I would get more calls, but I would just be spending a lot more time quoting and probably booking less work. Most of the calls we get now we will book if we have availability. In my opinion this has to do with the fact that people visit the site, see our prices and if they are comfortable with it, they call. Otherwise, they move on.

The downside is that the local competition sees our prices.

I agree, I don't give a hard number until I see the place. If the place is trashed we bump the price up.

(08-25-2012, 07:18 AM)Rug Beater Wrote: I don't post prices but I do offer a 15% first time discount on my site, if you can find it, most don't. clap I think the only benefit listing price gives you is if your are the lowest price or if you just list a budget price that is for open areas only with no pre-vac or moving anything. You could always try to upsell but you've probably attracted the cheapest people.

I give phone estimates and onsite written quotes. I always tell the caller that this is an estimate and there are things like size of rooms, animal spots, and dirt content that could effect the estimate. I always walk through the job before starting looking for difficult areas and pointing them out.

Reply }}
Thanks given by:
My prices are listed...but I'm the cheapest guy in town at least that does any sort of marketing.....they call and schedule....i try and keep it super simple the only thing i charge extra for is pet odor...stain protection....but those prices are all listed to
Reply }}
Thanks given by:
im always curious....if you up the price when you get there and find its dirtier than expected....do you lower your price when you get there and its one of those no spot clean carpets???
Reply }}
Thanks given by:
If we bump the price it really isn't by much. Maybe 25%?

Yesterday, for example, we did an apartment. I quoted the guy $120.00 over the phone and told him if the traffic lanes are excessive, etc. it might be a little more. He said it was 'a little dirty'. I told him it could end up ranging $120.00 - $150.00.

Well, the place was awful. So he did pay $150.00 without blinking.

The price I quote over the phone is based on average conditions. So no, we don't charge less. However, as is often the case, people are thrilled when we hand them an invoice with the quoted total.

(08-26-2012, 07:39 PM)joelhall Wrote: im always curious....if you up the price when you get there and find its dirtier than expected....do you lower your price when you get there and its one of those no spot clean carpets???

Reply }}
Thanks given by:
What's the name of your website?

(08-26-2012, 03:29 PM)joelhall Wrote: My prices are listed...but I'm the cheapest guy in town at least that does any sort of marketing.....they call and schedule....i try and keep it super simple the only thing i charge extra for is pet odor...stain protection....but those prices are all listed to

Reply }}
Thanks given by:
I would list my itemization prices, but I have people wanting to argue with me although even with my S&T charge I am still the lowest.

S = Staging (always $10)
T= Transportation (Minimum $5)

I let them fill out an estimate request form. I emaii them the total only. Because I require an address on the estimate form I always have the right distance for the transportation charge.

Others might have a difference practice in their business, I like to get their attention with the low per room and per chair pricing and make them inquire for the total with no breakdown of the fee provided. Reason, an estimate is not a menu in my view of estimates. An estimate is an all or nothing proposition.
Reply }}
Thanks given by:
Just thought I'd resurrect this post. Big Grin

Seen a few unanswered ones there that maybe someone forgot to post about.

Anyhow............

I don't advertise my prices anywhere at all.

Phone enquiries I will give an estimate to, I let them know that I have a minimum call-out of $99, and that I will give a firm price when I see the job at hand.

I also tell them that if I am going nearby, I will call in and give them a firm price at no cost.

I ask if there are any problems such as major stains, urine or odor problems which may cause the price to be slightly higher, or much higher.

I also tell them that I will work on most stains for 15 minutes before charging any extra, then it is in increments of 15 minutes per hour @ $121 per hour.

We have a goods & services tax of 10%, so my $110, x 10% (GST) = $121.00, 1/4 hour = $30.25 for every 15 minutes or part thereof.

I am also realistic when it comes to urine, I take into consideration the age and condition of the carpet and compare the restoration price against replacement.

I do not believe that one price will suit all carpet cleans, just as "one room" is not the same size, nor in the same condition, on every job I go to.

Compare this to buying a car, how much car will you get for $500.00, be it a Mercedes Benz or a Little Nash Rambler??

[Image: 280px-1962_Rambler_American_Conv-Red.jpg]

[Image: 2013-Mercedes-Benz-SLS-AMG-GT-Roadster-f...23x389.jpg]

Decisions - decisions ??????

Beer

PS::: The saying at the top when I posted this had the following:

"If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough".

Sounds appropriate for some carpet cleaners I've seen over the decades.
Reply }}
Thanks given by:
(08-24-2012, 02:25 PM)thecleaningdude Wrote: Thanks, good points you brought up.

Our prices are not cut rate, but they are not over the top either - at least not in our area.

When people call I ask a lot of questions and then I give them a quote. I base the quote on the package price and then add any additional charges like pet stain, etc.

The one issue that you brought up that can be a zinger sometimes is soil load. I sometimes have to charge a little extra when we get to the location if it's particularly bad.

(08-24-2012, 07:42 AM)Richardc Wrote: That's difficult because if you sell price then you want your customers to see it.

I'm sorry

so what do you do differently for pet stains then? what different chems are you using for them? also, what if they say i just want a basic cleaning. do you just pre spray like there were no stains on the floor than?
i guess what im trying to say is, is it normal to tell tell the customer that the price will go up if they want you to give the stains more special attention, and that you still can't give any guarantee that it will all come out?
did not know about this. i was just thinking you would have to hit every stain as normal and not charge anyhting. than i started to think to myself, damn im going through alot of SPOT N BOOST. so your saying if the customer did not want any special attention to each individual stain, that i dont have to get down on my hands and knees and use up all my snb like i have been doing, ( on every little stain ) and that i can just pre-spray and go?
The Kid
Cleaning Up The Profits...padding
Reply }}
Thanks given by:
(12-06-2012, 02:06 AM)brandon olson Wrote:
(08-24-2012, 02:25 PM)thecleaningdude Wrote: Thanks, good points you brought up.

I'm sorry

so what do you do differently for pet stains then? what different chems are you using for them? also, what if they say i just want a basic cleaning. do you just pre spray like there were no stains on the floor than?
i guess what im trying to say is, is it normal to tell tell the customer that the price will go up if they want you to give the stains more special attention, and that you still can't give any guarantee that it will all come out?
did not know about this. i was just thinking you would have to hit every stain as normal and not charge anyhting. than i started to think to myself, damn im going through alot of SPOT N BOOST. so your saying if the customer did not want any special attention to each individual stain, that i dont have to get down on my hands and knees and use up all my snb like i have been doing, ( on every little stain ) and that i can just pre-spray and go?

Brandon; maybe I help you out a bit too. You can determine your own pricing structure. Some guys have a basic cleaning charge, then raise the price based on soil load, pet stains, age of carpet, etc. Some guys have a set price, then clean using that same pricing no matter the soil load. Me; I price high enough to turn a profit no matter how crappy the carpet is, so I rarely worry about boosting the price. The cleaner the carpet is when I arrive, the more profit I have in the job; but I never 'lose' money. Here's the strange phenomenon when pricing a job... If you're a higher priced vendor (like myself), you generally get the less ratty jobs. The low priced guys get a lot of the (I've had my carpet for 15 years and have never cleaned it before and I have 4 dogs and 3 kids) type of clients. We all get those clients; just the higher priced guys don't get them as often. I"m not really sure why that happens though... Maybe its because if a client is willing to pay $400 to have their home cleaned as opposed to a $150 "whole house cleaning", they generally tend to put more care into their homes when it comes to routine maintenance. I don't know...

Anyway...another tip to avoid using so much spotter is to get a trigger spray bottle and mix a HEAVY dose of ECG & water (if that's what you use), add some Spot n boost, and maybe some peroxecellent if it's a pet job and just spray the bad areas before you do your regular prespray routine. Rake the juice in on the bad areas; let dwell, then clean as usual. I rarely have to get on my hands and knees to get bad areas up. Only if it's ink, rust, or red dye. That's a whole different animal... Hope this helps a bit!

Oh yea... I don't post my prices on my website (unless I'm running some sort of special).
Reply }}
Thanks given by:
Very nice post CleaningGreen! He put it pretty good there Brandon...

I on the other hand, am one of the lower priced guys in town. I use different methods of charging depending on the area, job, soil load, repair(s), etc...The bottom line is that I better be making $75-$100 (I have a $75 min charge btw) an hour, a little more if a helper is with me.

When I first started I was right around $40-$50 an hour since I was still learning and trying new things out. Now that I have more experience and steady work I can be more efficient at what I do and price jobs a lot better.

So figure out what you need/want to make per hour and have fun with it.
Carpet Cleaning Salinas, Monterey, Pebble Beach Ca
ProGreen Kleen & Floor Care
http://Progreenkleen.net
Reply }}
Thanks given by:
We don't ever tell the client what we charge.
We just run their credit card or fill-in the amount on their check.

If they have to ask, they can't afford us.
Reply }}
Thanks given by: