Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Prices - Hide Them Or Let Them All Hang Out?
lol

(12-08-2012, 08:45 PM)mikecharles Wrote: We don't ever tell the client what we charge.
We just run their credit card or fill-in the amount on their check.

If they have to ask, they can't afford us.
I'm just trying to hack my way to glory.

Get Encapsulation Pads & More!

1 X's Orbot, Windsor & Sanitare Vacs, Multisprayer, Oreck Orbitor, Stepson, BrushEncap (TM4) CRB  
Reply }}
Thanks given by:
Daryl,

Would you mind sharing some of your prices with us?

If you'd rather, you can PM me.

Just curious.

Thanks

(12-08-2012, 03:52 PM)CleaningGreen Wrote:
(12-06-2012, 02:06 AM)brandon olson Wrote:
(08-24-2012, 02:25 PM)thecleaningdude Wrote: Thanks, good points you brought up.

Our prices are not cut rate, but they are not over the top either - at least not in our area.

When people call I ask a lot of questions and then I give them a quote. I base the quote on the package price and then add any additional charges like pet stain, etc.

The one issue that you brought up that can be a zinger sometimes is soil load. I sometimes have to charge a little extra when we get to the location if it's particularly bad.

Do you give phone quotes or only quote on site?

(08-24-2012, 07:42 AM)Richardc Wrote: That's difficult because if you sell price then you want your customers to see it.

However it locks you into a set rate without knowing the soil load, the distance or difficulty in reaching the carpet to be cleaned, the time of day or night they want the cleaning done, or the day of the week (Saturday, Sunday), the quantity of carpet to be cleaned.

That's a lot of words just to say no we don't.
I'm sorry

so what do you do differently for pet stains then? what different chems are you using for them? also, what if they say i just want a basic cleaning. do you just pre spray like there were no stains on the floor than?
i guess what im trying to say is, is it normal to tell tell the customer that the price will go up if they want you to give the stains more special attention, and that you still can't give any guarantee that it will all come out?
did not know about this. i was just thinking you would have to hit every stain as normal and not charge anyhting. than i started to think to myself, damn im going through alot of SPOT N BOOST. so your saying if the customer did not want any special attention to each individual stain, that i dont have to get down on my hands and knees and use up all my snb like i have been doing, ( on every little stain ) and that i can just pre-spray and go?

Brandon; maybe I help you out a bit too. You can determine your own pricing structure. Some guys have a basic cleaning charge, then raise the price based on soil load, pet stains, age of carpet, etc. Some guys have a set price, then clean using that same pricing no matter the soil load. Me; I price high enough to turn a profit no matter how crappy the carpet is, so I rarely worry about boosting the price. The cleaner the carpet is when I arrive, the more profit I have in the job; but I never 'lose' money. Here's the strange phenomenon when pricing a job... If you're a higher priced vendor (like myself), you generally get the less ratty jobs. The low priced guys get a lot of the (I've had my carpet for 15 years and have never cleaned it before and I have 4 dogs and 3 kids) type of clients. We all get those clients; just the higher priced guys don't get them as often. I"m not really sure why that happens though... Maybe its because if a client is willing to pay $400 to have their home cleaned as opposed to a $150 "whole house cleaning", they generally tend to put more care into their homes when it comes to routine maintenance. I don't know...

Anyway...another tip to avoid using so much spotter is to get a trigger spray bottle and mix a HEAVY dose of ECG & water (if that's what you use), add some Spot n boost, and maybe some peroxecellent if it's a pet job and just spray the bad areas before you do your regular prespray routine. Rake the juice in on the bad areas; let dwell, then clean as usual. I rarely have to get on my hands and knees to get bad areas up. Only if it's ink, rust, or red dye. That's a whole different animal... Hope this helps a bit!

Oh yea... I don't post my prices on my website (unless I'm running some sort of special).

1 X's Orbot, Windsor & Sanitare Vacs, Multisprayer, Oreck Orbitor, Stepson, BrushEncap (TM4) CRB  
Reply }}
Thanks given by:
I don't mind sharing my pricing. The reason why I don't share my pricing on my website is because it's difficult to sell value with one way communication (website) if you're a higher priced vendor. If I post my pricing, people will just price shop and I will lose most of the time. I WILL post a 'deal' on my website, like my 3 rooms for $99 special, but not my regular pricing. Anyway, my base pricing is by the sq ft ($0.33 per exposed sq ft), but if I HAVE to give a quote over the phone without measuring, I just ballpark the pricing and book a no-obligation carpet evaluation.

(12-11-2012, 02:54 AM)thecleaningdude Wrote: Daryl,

Would you mind sharing some of your prices with us?

If you'd rather, you can PM me.

Just curious.

Thanks

(12-08-2012, 03:52 PM)CleaningGreen Wrote:
(12-06-2012, 02:06 AM)brandon olson Wrote:
(08-24-2012, 02:25 PM)thecleaningdude Wrote: Thanks, good points you brought up.

Our prices are not cut rate, but they are not over the top either - at least not in our area.

When people call I ask a lot of questions and then I give them a quote. I base the quote on the package price and then add any additional charges like pet stain, etc.

The one issue that you brought up that can be a zinger sometimes is soil load. I sometimes have to charge a little extra when we get to the location if it's particularly bad.

Do you give phone quotes or only quote on site?

(08-24-2012, 07:42 AM)Richardc Wrote: That's difficult because if you sell price then you want your customers to see it.

However it locks you into a set rate without knowing the soil load, the distance or difficulty in reaching the carpet to be cleaned, the time of day or night they want the cleaning done, or the day of the week (Saturday, Sunday), the quantity of carpet to be cleaned.

That's a lot of words just to say no we don't.
I'm sorry

so what do you do differently for pet stains then? what different chems are you using for them? also, what if they say i just want a basic cleaning. do you just pre spray like there were no stains on the floor than?
i guess what im trying to say is, is it normal to tell tell the customer that the price will go up if they want you to give the stains more special attention, and that you still can't give any guarantee that it will all come out?
did not know about this. i was just thinking you would have to hit every stain as normal and not charge anyhting. than i started to think to myself, damn im going through alot of SPOT N BOOST. so your saying if the customer did not want any special attention to each individual stain, that i dont have to get down on my hands and knees and use up all my snb like i have been doing, ( on every little stain ) and that i can just pre-spray and go?

Brandon; maybe I help you out a bit too. You can determine your own pricing structure. Some guys have a basic cleaning charge, then raise the price based on soil load, pet stains, age of carpet, etc. Some guys have a set price, then clean using that same pricing no matter the soil load. Me; I price high enough to turn a profit no matter how crappy the carpet is, so I rarely worry about boosting the price. The cleaner the carpet is when I arrive, the more profit I have in the job; but I never 'lose' money. Here's the strange phenomenon when pricing a job... If you're a higher priced vendor (like myself), you generally get the less ratty jobs. The low priced guys get a lot of the (I've had my carpet for 15 years and have never cleaned it before and I have 4 dogs and 3 kids) type of clients. We all get those clients; just the higher priced guys don't get them as often. I"m not really sure why that happens though... Maybe its because if a client is willing to pay $400 to have their home cleaned as opposed to a $150 "whole house cleaning", they generally tend to put more care into their homes when it comes to routine maintenance. I don't know...

Anyway...another tip to avoid using so much spotter is to get a trigger spray bottle and mix a HEAVY dose of ECG & water (if that's what you use), add some Spot n boost, and maybe some peroxecellent if it's a pet job and just spray the bad areas before you do your regular prespray routine. Rake the juice in on the bad areas; let dwell, then clean as usual. I rarely have to get on my hands and knees to get bad areas up. Only if it's ink, rust, or red dye. That's a whole different animal... Hope this helps a bit!

Oh yea... I don't post my prices on my website (unless I'm running some sort of special).
Reply }}
Thanks given by:
Cool.

Since you charge by the square foot do you include furniture moving in your price?

If the furniture stays in place do you measure around it?

Reply }}
Thanks given by:
(12-11-2012, 10:10 PM)thecleaningdude Wrote: Cool.

Since you charge by the square foot do you include furniture moving in your price?

If the furniture stays in place do you measure around it?

I charge by the 'exposed' sq footage. If I don't move furniture, I deduct a percentage off the total sq footage of the room. But yes, I typically move furniture unless they tell me not to. Of course, I don't move beds, so sometimes I literally deduct 50% of the bedroom's sq footage if it's taking up most of the room.
Reply }}
Thanks given by:
Richard, you said:
"Also on that page is a check box to receive further seasonal specials throughout the year. "

If your goal is to build your email database (I assume that is your goal), then a more effective wording would be to have them opt out rather than opt in:
"We'll be sending you seasonal specials by email. If you do not want to receive these emails check here___"

Your list should grow much faster with that text.

Larry Galler
The Small Business Greatness Coach
Subscribe to receive my weekly newspaper column and newsletter at http://www.oneyeartogreatness.com
Reply }}
Thanks given by: