Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
advertising idea for start ups.....
just thought i would share something ive done a couple times now that has worked pretty well for getting my name out and getting some new custmers....

i know in the past there was alot of talk about deal of the day offers...but ususally guys were talking about groupon or living social....well they do not operate in the smaller markets...but my local newspaper and radio basically do the same thing......they just took the idea from groupon or whatever....the difference though is they are not controlling about what you offer etc...they are just wanting businesses to do it.....and there is no upfront cost and they get half of whatever you sell

so i did the paper last spring...and in the last two days i ran a deal in the paper and the radio...( all done via their web sites )...

first time i did one room carpet cleaning...and this time i did one room carpept cleaning, deodorize, and stain protection ( i use steves kleenshield ) .....i put regular price $50 todays deal $20......Limit is one per household....the whole idea being...that it leaves plenty of room to upsale...more rooms etc........and you can do the additional rooms at whatever price you choose...i choose to still offer a discounted rate.....or you can just do your "regular" price...whatever....thats up to you....

so last spring i sold around 50.....and this time in the last 2 days i have sold 63 of them and still have 3 days to go.......and that does not include people who called me and just scheduled without buying the "deal".......and of course there will be ones where i only do the one room...and many who add rooms..

If you approach this as a form of advertising....knowing that really there is some cost to it...when you have to do the one room only...and that you may not make a ton upfront...but that it is a way to get exposure...to get into peoples homes...and get people to see your work....everyone always says how word of mouth is the best form of advertising...but you have no word spreading if there are no mouths........plus this is better than offering one free room....at least you get some money for it......

just some food for thought.........
Reply }}
Thanks given by:
Great post, thanks!

Some questions if I may....

How many of the 50 original customers have become repeats at full price?

How many of the 63 new vouchers sold are repeat customers from the original promo?

What's your ticket average?

Since you're getting $10.00 per deal is there a restriction on room size?

Is there a limit on how far you travel?

It seems - from reading the boards and talking to other cleaners - that you guys in the small to mid size markets seem to have a better go at it.

Again, thanks for the info. Very informative.
I'm just trying to hack my way to glory.

Get Encapsulation Pads & More!

1 X's Orbot, Windsor & Sanitare Vacs, Multisprayer, Oreck Orbitor, Stepson, BrushEncap (TM4) CRB  
Reply }}
Thanks given by:
(10-26-2012, 08:51 PM)thecleaningdude Wrote: Great post, thanks!

Some questions if I may....

How many of the 50 original customers have become repeats at full price?

How many of the 63 new vouchers sold are repeat customers from the original promo?

What's your ticket average?

Since you're getting $10.00 per deal is there a restriction on room size?

Is there a limit on how far you travel?

It seems - from reading the boards and talking to other cleaners - that you guys in the small to mid size markets seem to have a better go at it.

Again, thanks for the info. Very informative.

It was in june july and august first time around....so i just finished them off....so do not know how the repeat business is going to fare yet.... i do one room up to 250 sq feet.... i travel where ever the paper was delievered...bascially my normal coverage that i do...

there will be a couple that i will for sure lose money on....long trip for one room....if thats what they do.....at least in the short term...

i glanced at the list of this time around...do not recognize any of the names...so i do not believe its the same people again....

it seems when i run this special it also has an effect on my regular ad i run as well....it is really good exposure.....

And also here is something i found really interesting.....just after i had run the first time....i had recieved a free ad to run in the paper for attending some marketing seminar they had.....it was the same size and full color ad just like they ran during the Todays Deal campain....So I decided to experiment and run the same special...now keep in mind that there was no internet exposure...or sending the deal totheir email base.....but I also know the first time i ran it that many calls came from the paper itself......I got maybe 3-5 calls off the free ad....same special...same size ad..etc SOOO there is something that works with the "Todays Deal" that creates that sence of urgency that just does not come with the regular ad.....and gets people to buy right then and there....maybe its the little clock counting down....or whatever...but they know they have to act right now.....I run a smaller ad every sunday in the paper...and i get calls...but never ever like I do when the todays deal runs....my phone rings non stop all day the day that ad hits the paper....

Just like any form of advertising there is some risk....the fear is doing a bunch of one room nasty dirty places that never call you back...for $10...and i did get a couple of those for sure....but the type of clients i was hoping would call far out weighed those...thats why i did it again
Reply }}
Thanks given by:
Great Twist on the 3 rooms for $99/49 deal. I really like this idea.

Rick
Quality means doing it right when no one is looking...

Henry Ford
Reply }}
Thanks given by:
Joel,

Don't know if I will ever have the opportunity up here to do these, but if I did, I really appreciate your posting this.

Very good use of your 'noodle' and this type of advertising.
Coby Gibson
formerly: http://www.45Clean.com
CobyGibson@me.com

Reply }}
Thanks given by: