Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Question re Google Places / Maps
The last couple weeks my phone has been pretty dead. Not too unusual for this time of year but I've been beginning to wonder. So I went on my computer just a while ago and googled my company. It still shows up in the natural results, but is no longer showing up on the map locations. In fact if I go into google maps my company is no longer there.

A little further searching and I went into my Places page and clicked on a button that says "see your listing on google" and the screen that loads says "We currently do not support that location".

After giving it some thought I do recall getting a rather odd phone call a couple weeks back by somebody claiming to be from google (though I figured it was some sort of sales call). The guy said he was from google and was wanting to know if we serviced customers at my location. I said I was a carpet cleaning business and did the work at the customer's homes. That was basically the end of the conversation.

Does anybody know what this might mean? Is there an easy way to fix it? Am I most likely just in a time-out box for a couple weeks?

Thanks for any help from people who know web stuff.
Reply }}
Thanks given by:
Is the address you're using your home location?

If so, you're supposed to market your business as hidden (does not serve customers at this location).

You did receive a call from Google. They have been calling service businesses and asking questions in an attempt to verify various listings. They do not identify themselves as Google, however it's almost always a California area code, the person is from an outsourced (Indian) company and a bit difficult to understand. They speak in a very direct fashion and almost come across as rude.

The might have disabled your listing temporarily. Hard to say. Check your listing regarding it's service status and update accordingly.

Like you, mine is showing up in the Organics but not Local/+. I actually had a location that I used for two years at a commercial office. It's no longer available to me so I have had to switch all addresses to my home. It's taking time. In the meantime the organic is what it'll have to be for me.

I think there are some advantages though. Ranking above everyone else first and foremost. But not having the review stars show up might have an effect as well. Our listing has been in the organics for 2 - 3 months and it was not an issue with the exception of a week or two before the elections and just the last week maybe. Like you said, I think it's mostly the time of they year.

One thing we added that you might want to consider is a review page. Links to other directories but most importantly it allows your customers to leave reviews on your page as well. You can use snippet code to get stars to show up in certain searches even.

I paid a guy to do it. Was affordable and well worth it.

Anyway, hope this helps.
I'm just trying to hack my way to glory.

Get Encapsulation Pads & More!

1 X's Orbot, Windsor & Sanitare Vacs, Multisprayer, Oreck Orbitor, Stepson, BrushEncap (TM4) CRB  
Reply }}
Thanks given by:
I'm no expert by the way and certainly not pretending to be one either.

This is just what I've learned over time with my own experience and lots of reading/research.
I'm just trying to hack my way to glory.

Get Encapsulation Pads & More!

1 X's Orbot, Windsor & Sanitare Vacs, Multisprayer, Oreck Orbitor, Stepson, BrushEncap (TM4) CRB  
Reply }}
Thanks given by:
Yeah that was exactly what happened. The guy that called had a heavy Indian accent. By the time I figured out it was a legit phone call the coversation was basically over. He was very direct and didn't identify himself well, that was why I was skeptical.

I'm just trying to figure out how to get it so my business shows up for searches again. I think in the meantime I'll put up an Adwords campaign. I haven't needed to have my adwords campaign active for quite some time.

If anyone else has experience with this stuff further comments are still welcomed. hatsoff
Reply }}
Thanks given by:
Yep, your listing was probably taken down due to your address. A lot of small service companies use PO Boxes or UPS Store boxes as their listing address. Google frowns on that and will take your listing down. And just like CleaningDude said, if you use your home address, just make it invisible.
Reply }}
Thanks given by:
It took about two months but my places page has been unlocked by Google finally. But all my reviews are gone and I'm at the back of the line on the google maps listings which sucks! Violin
Reply }}
Thanks given by: