Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
April Spotlight Thread: Steamin Demon review, write up, and a few pics!
Well guys, I bought a used Steamin Demon Classic (kind of an impulse buy, but that's how I roll lol!) and instantly ordered a holed glide from GG. The machine itself was in pretty good condition, came with 50' of hoses, and had the classic on board spray system (which was removed right away).

I bought the SD as a backup to my TM, apartment tool, etc... and it took me about 3 minutes to figure out how to set it up. The unit itself is really light (35-40lbs?) and is a breeze to take up/down stairs. In apartments I run the supply/dump hoses to the bath sink and toilet. I then plug the one cord into the wash room since this seems to be the strongest (pops gfi's) circuit for me. 50' is the perfect amount of hose for me to get around all 1, 2, 3, and 4 br apts around here, I just pick the middle/hall bath and go for it....Both the supply and dump both have valves on both ends which is a great idea btw and limits any leaking in and out of jobs. The auto (my favorite feature) pump out is great! It empties fast and I am amazed at what the single vacuum motor pulls out! Once the vacuum lid is pulled off, the filter(s) are right there and can be easily removed for cleaning.

When I first bought the unit, the prespray tank came full of solution which I tried to use but the SD was foaming a lot and not working the way I had hoped? A quick call to SD and I found out that I was spraying straight solution down since it had no metering tip in the systemYikes Once I found this out, it was back to the good ole pump up. I first used Prochem Powerburst (until I ran out) and am now using Bridgepoint Flex w/Citrus Solve. Both chems absolutely rock the shoot with very little foam....in fact I don't even use the on-board defoamer at all!

The one thing about the SD that I think it lacks is psi? I think impact (psi) is important for spots, gum, candy, etc....since the SD relies on pure flow, a good mechanical scrub is a must IMO whether a 175, OP, CRB, etc. If I could figure out how to put a 150-250 psi pump in there I think it would be perfect? I have been really amazed at what I can do with hot tap water and a few drenching passes. The vacuum motor itself is strong IMO and I always do a few dry passes just to make sure I am picking up max amount of water. The sight window is also a great feature at being able to see the water coming up.....

So far I have used it a hand full of times and am always looking for challenges. Here are a few jobs where I took pics....

This was a nasty Berber that the owner wanted to replace....
[Image: IMG_20130311_154905_920_zps415a978b.jpg]
Same room after a scrub and flushing
[Image: IMG_20130311_162854_338_zps64f9e359.jpg]
Here is another job where I was shocked that they wanted to keep the carpet! Used my water hog, lg propane heater, and hydroforce to lay down HOT prespray before using the SD!
[Image: IMG_20130318_124942_935_zpsd9eac261.jpg]
After: I was able to get wand-like marks...took a while LOL
[Image: IMG_20130318_134846_521_zpsb90a58b9.jpg]
And finally, the job from today. This one was really bad pics do no justice
[Image: 20130403_144159_zps80f4fb86.jpg]
After:
[Image: 20130403_155356_zpsfab1d261.jpg]

All in all, I really like the SD! I am getting around 4-5 hour dry times but can get closer to 2-3 with fans and a post bonnet. I think the SD would be the perfect tool for VLM guys that "need" a flush? I like the SD so much that I am going to sell off the TM and get a smaller van for the mpg and be done with it!

BTW-I also received the upholstery tool, and hoses with the SD but am a little afraid to use that much flow with on upholstery? Once I get the courage, I will report back LOL! Thanks for readingBeer
Carpet Cleaning Salinas, Monterey, Pebble Beach Ca
ProGreen Kleen & Floor Care
http://Progreenkleen.net
Reply }}
Thanks given by:
Looks great!

Have you tried it on any CGD yet?
I'm just trying to hack my way to glory.

Get Encapsulation Pads & More!

1 X's Orbot, Windsor & Sanitare Vacs, Multisprayer, Oreck Orbitor, Stepson, BrushEncap (TM4) CRB  
Reply }}
Thanks given by:
Wow, that looks amazing. Great work. Also your idea about using the SD as your new HWE rather than your truck mount seems like an excellent idea. A lot cheaper than having your van running outside and worrying about long costly breakdowns. I think when I get my feet off the ground I might look into that as well. Both would fit in my car perfectly.

Carpet looks great. Would like to see more photos from the SD before and after. Let us know how you customize your machine.
The Kid
Cleaning Up The Profits...padding
Reply }}
Thanks given by:
(04-04-2013, 02:18 AM)thecleaningdude Wrote: Looks great!

No cgd. I still like using vlm 100% on cgd.
Reply }}
Thanks given by:
How wet does it leave the carpet ? compared to conventional wanding with a good porty or TM
Reply }}
Thanks given by:
I am impressed if you are getting 4-5 hr dry times, didnt know that unit could do that

Con
Reply }}
Thanks given by:
(04-04-2013, 02:18 AM)thecleaningdude Wrote: Looks great!

No cgd. I still like using vlm 100% on cgd.
Reply }}
Thanks given by:
Great work Edgar! Really looks good!!

Is it fast enough to allow you to make good money on your apartments?
You never rolled in the hay
Ya never thrown it in four wheel
Climb on up in here, girl
Let me show ya how country feels

"How Country Feels" Randy Houser

Reply }}
Thanks given by:
Compared to conventional wanding with a porty, the SD leaves the carpet about the same far as moisture. Also pretty close to a TM but I never do any dry strokes with a TM. Remeber....the vacuum is pretty much directly on the carpet, no hose runs, kinks, etc....On the SD I do one wet pass (backward), then go forward with a dry pass over the same spot, then after I finish the length/width of the room, I will do another dry pass again across the whole thing so I am a bit over board on dry passes. The sight window is a pretty cool feature and let's you see the water coming up.

I think the game changer (for me anyway) is the glide. I did a little testing with and without the glide and the glide recovers more water. The glide also lets you push the machine forward a lot easier as well.

Once I get a little time, I will start tearing into the SD and see what I can do as far as bigger vacuum (8.4?) and maybe adding a pump? Doesn't need anything really, I just like modifying stuff....
Reply }}
Thanks given by:
(04-04-2013, 10:03 AM)Richardc Wrote: Great work Edgar! Really looks good!!

Yes and no. Since we do the whole house clean I can still make a good profit. If I was just cleaning the carpet only it might be tough sincd it's a bit slower then my tm.

With my tm I can clean a vacant 2 br apt from pull up to drive off in about 40min-1hr. With the SD the same apt would take me about 1 1/2-2 hours. So probably twice as long....
Reply }}
Thanks given by:
Well at least you save on fuel for the TM and wear & tear on the motor. It sure looks great!
You never rolled in the hay
Ya never thrown it in four wheel
Climb on up in here, girl
Let me show ya how country feels

"How Country Feels" Randy Houser

Reply }}
Thanks given by:
(04-04-2013, 10:03 AM)Richardc Wrote: Great work Edgar! Really looks good!!

Yes and no. Since we do the whole house clean I can still make a good profit. If I was just cleaning the carpet only it might be tough sincd it's a bit slower then my tm.

With my tm I can clean a vacant 2 br apt from pull up to drive off in about 40min-1hr. With the SD the same apt would take me about 1 1/2-2 hours. So probably twice as long....
Reply }}
Thanks given by:
(04-04-2013, 11:01 AM)Richardc Wrote: Well at least you save on fuel for the TM and wear & tear on the motor. It sure looks great!

Thanks Richard! I have the flexibility to try new tools, methods, and chems whenever I want. It makes for a lot of fun and keeping things fresh IMO.

Mods-sorry for all the double posts, only happens when I post from my phone? Are you guys ever going to look into Tapatalk? I would love to have this forum available on Tapatalk since it is one of my more frequent ones...
Reply }}
Thanks given by:
(04-05-2013, 12:22 AM)Lefty724 Wrote: Are you guys ever going to look into Tapatalk? I would love to have this forum available on Tapatalk since it is one of my more frequent ones...

I had never heard of Tapatalk, so I looked it and installed it. It seems to be working just fine on my Iphone. Have not tested it extensively, so let me know if is working for you OK or not.
[Image: LogoSmall.jpg]
Products that make you a HERO in your customer's eyes!Rdance
Reply }}
Thanks given by:
There's a lot of misinformation out there about the Demon, but those who have actually used one will attest to it's cleaning ability and excellent dry times. When you consider that this machine uses 2 times the amount of water of others and still achieves 2-5 hour dry times.

In fact, it's the one piece of equipment I've decided to hold on too. It's so versatile. In fact, there are quite a few guys running successful operations with the Demon alone.

I cleaned a house on Wednesday (1.75 hours), some very dense cut-pile and berber. The Berber was 90% dry when I left, the cut pile I cleaned first, and it was about the same. Of course, I didn't do any scientific testing Smile

I'm convinced that that a mechanical scrub followed by the Demon is the ultimate cleaning combo, I don't think anything can beat the results.

Lefty, a tip I learned is to use the shower head connection whenever possible. You'll get better flow there and any drips will end up in the shower.
Reply }}
Thanks given by:
Does the Deamon have a brush ? It would be nice if you could post some pictures of the bottom side of the machine so we could see how it works. Do you think their will be room for the new 8.5 Lamb ? I do get the odd situation that a good flush would speed things up and I think this just might be the ticket. Thanks
Reply }}
Thanks given by:
Steve-I am typing this from my phone and Tapatalk seems to be working good so far....

For all you guys thay haven't tried it from your smart phones, give it a shot! Its awesome, easier to read, post, add pics, etc...

Phil-I have never thought about the shower head since I always use the bath sink or wash room spigot. I'll give it a shot next time I have some time.

Mardie-I agree with Phil here, with a good pre scrub followed by the SD it's hard to beat. There is no brush under it and my unit has a holed green glide. I still say that every time the SD comes out of the van....so does the rotary and carpet brush!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk 2
Reply }}
Thanks given by:
The glide is essential for the Stemin Demon.
I have the "Tsunami" the stainless steel model.
Great for cleaning wool & synthetic rugs.
Reply }}
Thanks given by:
My experience with the Demon has been quite different. Though most of the rest of you are possibly comparing it's ease of use to a TM? I have never used any other porty or a TM.

Without fans I have found the dry times to be in the 12+ hour range, testing it out myself in my own living room. I experienced on 3 different occasions after hooking it up to a faucet that the fixture couldn't handle the "back pressure" that builds up and water started coming out under the sink on 2 occasions and in the pipes under a bathtub where I had it hooked up on another. When leaving the job I found this out by the water dripping out of the ceiling in the garage!

I use mine once a month in a gym I clean. It has a very thin pile carpet and the gym is always kept at 80 degrees with ceiling fans on 24 hours. I do get 1 hour dry times there.

Setup and breakdown don't seem that simple to me either, but I can't compare to the other HWE options. By the time you get all those hoses going, now you have to bring in a separate sprayer and a CRB or something to pre-scrub, it kind of turns into a cord and hose nightmare if you ask me.

That said it certainly does work and if you are willing to use a crb or rotary to pre-scrub you can do a really good job. I started with a glide on my classic model and hated it, took it off shortly thereafter. The manufacturer told me he didn't recommend them on that model, something about how it changes the angle so it doesn't work right?
Reply }}
Thanks given by:
That does sound like a bad experience Grant.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk 2
Reply }}
Thanks given by: