Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Trio - 1st impressions
it's BIG! i got the 20" model.

apparently, this is a company that, unlike others, doesn't over-exaggerate their dimensions. the brush roll is actually 20 and one quarter inches. this model is 25" wide overall.

i will run it tomorrow on a CGD client for their quarterly hall cleaning.

i ran it dry on my bedroom plush just to make sure it powered up. it doesn't have an on/off switch, you just lower the handle by pushing down the "toe" lever and it turns on. i think they should have a safety switch for that maybe on the handle.

so i lowered the handle and it threw me backwards into the wall lol. because the new brushes are so stiff and there was no lubrication (i ran it dry) i guess that is what i get. the bristles are polypropylene, so it isn't recommended that you run them on concrete to soften them. with a demo model i won't do that anyways in case i ship it back. i couldn't raise the handle to turn it off (or it would drive me backwards) so i had to unplug it. definitely a learning curve, hopefully it is a small one but i'll find out tomorrow.

so far the only bad thing i can see, and it could be a big one, is that about 2.25" on both ends of the machine are not cleanable. so along a wall you can't get to that area to clean unless you turn the machine 90 degrees because on the front of the machine, the brush roll is there and cleans up to that edge. but in a hallway?? idk about that...

the youtube video of it is obviously the 15" model. this 20" model is a beast and is more solid than it appeared on Youtube. it has some stainless on it which adds to the weight. the box had some gouges on the corners after UPS delivered it. i video taped the unveiling but Whittaker had some super high impact Styrofoam on all corners of the box, so it was well protected.

it will be taking up a bigger footprint in the rear of my van than i had anticipated LOL
Currently retired from HWE; VLM only. Commercial Only...well except for the occasional resi job every few weeks.

Carpet Cleaning Rochester NY
Carpet Cleaner Rochester NY

The tools I use or have on the van ... in order from most used, to least used:  Dyson ; 19" Cimex ; Multi-Sprayer ; Orbot ; Oreck-Orbiter ; Hoover-Conquest ; Cyclo Polisher ; DryPod ; 20" Whittaker Trio.
Reply }}
Thanks given by:
Cool!

How much does it weigh?

How will you get it up stairs?

Pics?
I'm just trying to hack my way to glory.

Get Encapsulation Pads & More!

1 X's Orbot, Windsor & Sanitare Vacs, Multisprayer, Oreck Orbitor, Stepson, BrushEncap (TM4) CRB  
Reply }}
Thanks given by:
75 LB's .. i was expecting 65 LB's i thought i read that somewhere. but i am glad it is heavier, better agitation this way Big Grin

kinda awkward to lift, the wheels could be bigger and not so low-profile....you'll see what i mean from the pics. i'll post them in a few minutes.
Currently retired from HWE; VLM only. Commercial Only...well except for the occasional resi job every few weeks.

The tools I use or have on the van ... in order from most used, to least used:  Dyson ; 19" Cimex ; Multi-Sprayer ; Orbot ; Oreck-Orbiter ; Hoover-Conquest ; Cyclo Polisher ; DryPod ; 20" Whittaker Trio.
Reply }}
Thanks given by:
[Image: Trio4.jpg]
[Image: Trio3.jpg]
[Image: Trio5.jpg]
[Image: Trio1.jpg]
[Image: Trio6.jpg]
[Image: Trio2.jpg]
[Image: Trio7.jpg]

Reply }}
Thanks given by:
so is there only one collection bin on the rear to catch the crud....??

the other whittaker machines had brushes that go on the outside of the machine to do the edges...i would guess they have those for the trio as well...you would think anyways...
Reply }}
Thanks given by:
are you assuming Joel? Tongue

no the Trio doesn't have that external brush unfortunately Undecided

yea only the one hopper to catch debris. idk man 25" is wide, i think some of our clients have cubicles with narrower opening than that Undecided doesn't look very desk-friendly in terms of going underneath either. i'll have to measure how high off the ground the base unit is.

how tall is the base unit on the Twin / GLS / BrushPro?

Reply }}
Thanks given by:
The 15 inch unit is 67 pounds. The handle can be lowered almost to the ground. The wide sides (fenders, big hips, whatever you want to call them) was my big concern as well.
Reply }}
Thanks given by:
On my GLS20 - I was able to buy 'edge brushes' that are 3" sticking out the side. does the trio have that option

Con
Reply }}
Thanks given by:
I hope so. Sounds like it would come in handy.

(04-04-2013, 07:07 PM)Con Schultz Wrote: On my GLS20 - I was able to buy 'edge brushes' that are 3" sticking out the side. does the trio have that option

Con

1 X's Orbot, Windsor & Sanitare Vacs, Multisprayer, Oreck Orbitor, Stepson, BrushEncap (TM4) CRB  
Reply }}
Thanks given by:
my GLS though doesnt spray out there though...

Con
Reply }}
Thanks given by:
(04-04-2013, 07:07 PM)Con Schultz Wrote: On my GLS20 - I was able to buy 'edge brushes' that are 3" sticking out the side. does the trio have that option

Con

no the Trio doesn't have that option.

i have thought about it and it isn't really that big of a deal. we vac that area thoroughly and if there is a spill along an edge/baseboard, i can then turn the machine 90 degrees and clean right up to the wall for the spot. then run a hand towel over it and keep moving.

if i feel i am cheating my client then i can always knock off a few sq.ft., but i don't foresee cheating anybody anything.

Reply }}
Thanks given by:
Sometimes I feel like we get way to overly perfectionistic about the job. Thirteen years ago on one of my first encap jobs I was using a HOST brush and CORE encap juice (one of the first if not the first peroxide encap solutions). It was a two bed room condo on the fourth floor, no elevator. You can use the Core product as a prespray and that is what I was doing. I planned on bringing a Steamin demon up and extracting it but after the "prescrub" it looked fantastic. The guy moving out is saying , "wow I didn't think it would look like that, amazing and no having to leave the door open". That was when I started seriously testing encapsulation and figured out that CUSTOMERS view the cleaning process totally different than us. Within a year I had purchased CRBs and some other VLM equipment, sold two truckmounts and tested a bunch of encap juice. I can't imagine having truckmounts to maintain today and wish I never bought the first one. Since then I have tested over 40 encap products and the juices available have improved greatly. I seldom HWE anything and use a small extractor when I do, having sold all 6 of my Steamin demons off.

A small extractor like the Cross America Cub is really all you need in today's world, everything has changed so much in the 22 years since I got into this business. I wish I had followed my gut back then. I carried around an ad from Whittaker in my day planner for weeks that I had torn out of a trade magazine that doesn't even exist anymore. I was going to go that route and operate out of my existing S-15 pick up by just adding a topper but a local distributor talked me out of it and this new State of the Art portable had just come out. I liked my 100 psi Ninja but it was a hard way to go. The pre scrub with the Hild and extract was the rage back then. padding barf
Reply }}
Thanks given by:
I like that bigger size, not only will you cover more ground but the physical size is much more impressive than the regular run of the mill CRB.
You never rolled in the hay
Ya never thrown it in four wheel
Climb on up in here, girl
Let me show ya how country feels

"How Country Feels" Randy Houser

Reply }}
Thanks given by:
Solution tank is leaking where it sits on the base...they're shipping me a new tank. Had to bring the Cimex in. Hopefully they'll extend my demo time now.

Reply }}
Thanks given by:
Ron From Whittaker called me and apologized for the inconvenience, he is shipping me a new adapter to install on the tank. He said not to worry about the time-frame for the demo. Great custy service so far, can't complain at all.

Reply }}
Thanks given by:
(04-05-2013, 04:36 AM)Randy Wrote: Sometimes I feel like we get way to overly perfectionistic about the job.

Thank you
Reply }}
Thanks given by:
(04-05-2013, 04:36 AM)Randy Wrote: A small extractor like the Cross America Cub is really all you need in today's world, The pre scrub with the Hild and extract was the rage back then. padding barf

I presume you mean the Jaguar Cub Randy??

Hild machine, bloody hell, you must nearly be as old as Elwood John Watson. LOL

I also have changed my thinking dramatically in regards to what equipment I need.

I have a very small porty that holds less than 5 gallons water & waste (each), very high cfm vac; motor, but only 125 psi pump.

Just about everything else is Encap; or OP.

Still got a stack of gear to sell. Sad

BeerAngel
Reply }}
Thanks given by:
well our client today had 30 inch cubicle openings, so i am hoping we keep this machine. i really have my heart set on it lol. it is so big and heavy that i am t.hinking it might actually give better results than i originally gave it credit for.

i wont know for sure until i can try it out next Saturday. hopefully we get the replacement part by then. 100k sq.ft. facility. we clean all the carpet which amounts to about 30k. the cubes in my memory seem narrower than 25" but i could be very wrong. there are a lot of halls and wide open areas that i will be using the 20" Trio on, as long as it runs Oops

jealous Richard? Tongue

Reply }}
Thanks given by:
30K square feet, nice!

How long does that normally take? You and the wife only?

What's your process?

(04-05-2013, 10:13 PM)Derek Wrote: well our client today had 30 inch cubicle openings, so i am hoping we keep this machine. i really have my heart set on it lol. it is so big and heavy that i am t.hinking it might actually give better results than i originally gave it credit for.

i wont know for sure until i can try it out next Saturday. hopefully we get the replacement part by then. 100k sq.ft. facility. we clean all the carpet which amounts to about 30k. the cubes in my memory seem narrower than 25" but i could be very wrong. there are a lot of halls and wide open areas that i will be using the 20" Trio on, as long as it runs Oops

jealous Richard? Tongue

Reply }}
Thanks given by:
30K in 1 day - you gonna have some sore legs... I tip my hat! even if you have 4 guys going - that would make it more bearable! Bigger than 15K in 1 shift & I hurt... I am too old for 20K now...

Con
Reply }}
Thanks given by: