Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
CRB as an up sell?
No one in my area that I know of uses a CRB. I have one that will be in tomorrow. I am considering adding it to my residential as an up sell 12-15 per area. It provides a lot of benefits no other cleaner provides. What do you guys think?
Reply }}
Thanks given by:
Sounds interesting. You won't know until you try. Let us know how it works Big Grin
Currently retired from HWE; VLM only. Commercial Only...well except for the occasional resi job every few weeks.

Carpet Cleaning Rochester NY
Carpet Cleaner Rochester NY

The tools I use or have on the van ... in order from most used, to least used:  Dyson ; 19" Cimex ; Multi-Sprayer ; Orbot ; Oreck-Orbiter ; Hoover-Conquest ; Cyclo Polisher ; DryPod ; 20" Whittaker Trio.
Reply }}
Thanks given by:
The only way clients have paid me more for doing it - was to put it down on paper (& in between my ears!) that "it cost THIS MUCH" to be amazing. Then I had to be BETTER THAN AMAZING each time I said it cost THAAAAT much!

I explained that I didnt only want to be a mediocre cleaner & I was sure they didnt want mediocre either. do you?

Con
Reply }}
Thanks given by:
I don't give the customers the option. If I look at the carpet and it looks bad, I work it into the price. Like Con said, what's the point of doing a mediocre job? If the job looks like it needs it, then it's an automatic. Customers don't know what their carpet needs, that's why they are hiring you to clean it.

On that note, I don't use the CRB on every resi job. Lots don't need it IMO. (I know that they will pull junk outta' EVERY carpet, but lots don't honestly need it) However, one thing I always ask when someone phones, is if there's pets in the house. It's a simple yes or no answer. If there IS pets, then the CRB is going to get used. You are the pro, if you tell your customer that it needs the CRB, then who are they to question you? Also, keep in mind, looking around at the home, some just can't afford the best job in the whole city. They just want it 'freshened up'.

That's my 1.6 cents. )I'm from Canada, so my 2 cents aren't worth as much in the U.S. I'm sorry )
Brent

Keep it Clean, Keep it Longer.
Reply }}
Thanks given by:
I think we already do a good job lol. It seems the crb can lift the pile, dig more out of a carpet than any vac/TM, and on my carpet it made it feel softer. I haven't had a lot of experience running them. But I do see this as an extra step that takes me time. But that benefits the customer. We have pricing already established. So working it in isn't an option for us. I don't need to use it on any job. But I just see it as another option for the customer. It's not like the cleaning will be bad. If that makes sense.
Reply }}
Thanks given by:
I'm beginning to think that in order to remove as much dirt, soil, debris, gunk, etc. using VLM a CRB might in fact be the must have tool along with some form of absorption.

Do you we charge more to make it as clean as possible regardless of condition?

Sorry, just waxing philosophical here....
I'm just trying to hack my way to glory.

Get Encapsulation Pads & More!

1 X's Orbot, Windsor & Sanitare Vacs, Multisprayer, Oreck Orbitor, Stepson, BrushEncap (TM4) CRB  
Reply }}
Thanks given by:
(07-16-2013, 09:49 PM)Brent Wrote: I don't give the customers the option. If I look at the carpet and it looks bad, I work it into the price. Like Con said, what's the point of doing a mediocre job? If the job looks like it needs it, then it's an automatic. Customers don't know what their carpet needs, that's why they are hiring you to clean it.

On that note, I don't use the CRB on every resi job. Lots don't need it IMO. (I know that they will pull junk outta' EVERY carpet, but lots don't honestly need it) However, one thing I always ask when someone phones, is if there's pets in the house. It's a simple yes or no answer. If there IS pets, then the CRB is going to get used. You are the pro, if you tell your customer that it needs the CRB, then who are they to question you? Also, keep in mind, looking around at the home, some just can't afford the best job in the whole city. They just want it 'freshened up'.

That's my 1.6 cents. )I'm from Canada, so my 2 cents aren't worth as much in the U.S. I'm sorry )

agreed If I am going to put my name on a job then I will do the best I can do. I do not offer different levels of cleaning based on price. If they want a cheapo splash and dash they can go hire someone else.

At the end of the day no one will know about the price negotiations BUT everyone will know who did that shitty job.
Reply }}
Thanks given by:
I agree about the carpet feeling softer.

Run the CRB and then the vac and the carpet feels like new. It's amazing.

Does a CRB dig out as much as pre-vac and TM extraction? Not sure. Part of me thinks no. However, if hair, sand, old gummi bears and who knows what is wet and matted down in the fiber during the HWE process maybe not all that much is removed?

(07-16-2013, 10:07 PM)BGCD Wrote: I think we already do a good job lol. It seems the crb can lift the pile, dig more out of a carpet than any vac/TM, and on my carpet it made it feel softer.

1 X's Orbot, Windsor & Sanitare Vacs, Multisprayer, Oreck Orbitor, Stepson, BrushEncap (TM4) CRB  
Reply }}
Thanks given by:
I've been eyeing that Strong CRB at Jon Don every time I walk in... Unfortunately, for me; I can't fit it in my darn truck. I'd love to have the option to upsell a good crb digging for those pet fur jobs.
Reply }}
Thanks given by:
i don't offer different levels either. i give my price ahead of time, if i have to bring in another machine to make the job sparkle, that's on me. BUT hey, if you can make more $ doing so and make it work, more power to you! we're all O/O's, we can do as we please dance

charging 45¢-70¢ means for me that i provide 1 level and do w/ever it takes. but if they aren't happy, they certainly don't pay.
Currently retired from HWE; VLM only. Commercial Only...well except for the occasional resi job every few weeks.

Carpet Cleaning Rochester NY
Carpet Cleaner Rochester NY

The tools I use or have on the van ... in order from most used, to least used:  Dyson ; 19" Cimex ; Multi-Sprayer ; Orbot ; Oreck-Orbiter ; Hoover-Conquest ; Cyclo Polisher ; DryPod ; 20" Whittaker Trio.
Reply }}
Thanks given by:
Philosophical Damon, You charge what you need to charge to be awesome - each & every time.I love Mardies comment about remembering crappy work! Many CC'rs however post their prices before they ever see what they are walking into & therefore have to 'do what they can do' for that price already posted /committed to. Too many CCrs are sooo scared to ask the price they need to to be awesome!

No Damon, a TM & all that suck, will not dig out as much as a CRB, not even close IMO (as a HWE TM guy with RX) - unless you have a beater bar rotating on the bottom of whatever tool you are using. A wand certainly doesnt pick much hair, an RX does it better but a CRB will still kick its butt. OP often makes the fur fly however.

Dereks comments are also right on!

Con
Reply }}
Thanks given by:
From my understanding the Brush Pro (Interlink or ES) is better built....but I could be wrong.

Regardless, the 15" at ES is amazingly inexpensive.

Also, the handle pops off so easily, takes a few seconds. You can store the machine anywhere.

(07-16-2013, 10:31 PM)CleaningGreen Wrote: I've been eyeing that Strong CRB at Jon Don every time I walk in... Unfortunately, for me; I can't fit it in my darn truck. I'd love to have the option to upsell a good crb digging for those pet fur jobs.

Reply }}
Thanks given by:
If I had one I'd charge extra to use it. If I was in the home to quote I'd build it into quote. When I give a phone estimate I try to determine wether they need just a regular cleaning or if they have issues, nasty, gross, trashed carpet, than quote. I tell them that this quote is for light to moderately soiled carpet and heavily soiled will be a bit more. I charge more if I need to scrub and allow for dwell and would also charge more to CRB.

You could always demo a small area with the CRB and show all the crap it pulls up and than ask if they'd prefer that over standard vacuuming for just a little bit more.
Reply }}
Thanks given by:
People lie so much over the phone. It's hard to determine anything. I don't see this as making the job necessarily look better. Their are limits to a TM and rotary. I actually use a DD 4.8/RX/evolution wand on every job. I post groom with the EVO wand. So I'm happy with the cleanings I'm providing. In saying that. I think the CRB brings something different. Softer carpet is the nicest benefit. Customers will never see the junk you normally can't get out anyways. I don't know. We are in a tough market as far as pricing. I was hoping this could be something we could up sell. Instead of trying to raise our price. Around here people want a price. And we aren't in a position to get to a house look it over. And then give them the price we think it will take to make it the best we can. We spend about 30k+ a year advertising for two vans. Can't be turning down a lot of work.
Reply }}
Thanks given by:
(07-17-2013, 02:23 AM)thecleaningdude Wrote: From my understanding the Brush Pro (Interlink or ES) is better built....but I could be wrong.

Also, the handle pops off so easily, takes a few seconds. You can store the machine anywhere.

(07-16-2013, 10:31 PM)CleaningGreen Wrote: I've been eyeing that Strong CRB at Jon Don every time I walk in... Unfortunately, for me; I can't fit it in my darn truck. I'd love to have the option to upsell a good crb digging for those pet fur jobs.

yea, I've never done side by side comparisons for any CRB machine. Once I have to opportunity to buy a new company vehicle (probably next year), that's when I'll seriously consider a CRB. The market that I cater to almost always have pets. This could be a real selling point that sets me apart within my little niche. And to answer the initial question, I would have zero problem with positioning the two system cleaning as an upgrade.
Reply }}
Thanks given by:
(07-17-2013, 01:08 PM)CleaningGreen Wrote:
(07-17-2013, 02:23 AM)thecleaningdude Wrote: From my understanding the Brush Pro (Interlink or ES) is better built....but I could be wrong.

yea, I've never done side by side comparisons for any CRB machine. Once I have to opportunity to buy a new company vehicle (probably next year), that's when I'll seriously consider a CRB. The market that I cater to almost always have pets. This could be a real selling point that sets me apart within my little niche. And to answer the initial question, I would have zero problem with positioning the two system cleaning as an upgrade.

I think the CRB offers something unique. No one here does it. When a customer can actually see the extra debris coming out of the CRB after vacuuming. I think it would be an easy up sell.
Reply }}
Thanks given by:
ANy up sell that makes the customer pay more for a good job will be resented by the customer. That's why they hate S. S.

I would call it part of your pet package, (hair removal ) that is more understandable for an extra charge,

Personally, (with op) I would use a crb on all bad areas before OP, to make my job faster and easy, In other words they would have to pay me extra not to use it.
Reply }}
Thanks given by:
(07-17-2013, 03:50 PM)Andy Mc Wrote: ANy up sell that makes the customer pay more for a good job will be resented by the customer. That's why they hate S. S.

I would call it part of your pet package, (hair removal ) that is more understandable for an extra charge,

Personally, (with op) I would use a crb on all bad areas before OP, to make my job faster and easy, In other words they would have to pay me extra not to use it.

Yes, you should absolutely market the upgrade as a pet package! I'm not sure how you would upsell it any other way. If it's just a part of your normal cleaning service, you would just add the extra time costs right into your normal service charge. You don't want to be a bait and switcher by quoting one price, then all of a sudden say to the client, "if you want it really clean, we will do xyz service for this much". The client will feel like they are being taken for a ride. BUT, if you offer it as a 'pet package' upgrade and explain it as such, you'll be just fine charging extra for it.
Reply }}
Thanks given by:
Not just pets.

One woman, or especially several women, will drop a lot of hair and it'll also show up in the CRB. Also sand, rocks, oddities of the imagination, etc. will appear.

I am still experimenting, but I am beginning to believe that this is a must have tool (along with absorbent pads) needed in order to properly VLM carpet.

If it takes longer, so be it. Maybe it's the price we pay for not using a TM. Also, aren't most of you pre-scrubbing with a brush, fiber plus, etc. or are you just single passing with one pad?

By the way, here's an idea. Show the customer the crap you pulled out and you'll have an immediate vomit cleaning up-sell. Perhaps this can offset the CRB time.

Today I raked for the first time in a long, long while. Helped with time. One way maybe to speed things up and incorporate the CRB.

(07-17-2013, 05:13 PM)CleaningGreen Wrote:
(07-17-2013, 03:50 PM)Andy Mc Wrote: ANy up sell that makes the customer pay more for a good job will be resented by the customer. That's why they hate S. S.

Yes, you should absolutely market the upgrade as a pet package! I'm not sure how you would upsell it any other way. If it's just a part of your normal cleaning service, you would just add the extra time costs right into your normal service charge. You don't want to be a bait and switcher by quoting one price, then all of a sudden say to the client, "if you want it really clean, we will do xyz service for this much". The client will feel like they are being taken for a ride. BUT, if you offer it as a 'pet package' upgrade and explain it as such, you'll be just fine charging extra for it.

Reply }}
Thanks given by:
I agree, damon,

To properly VLM a carpet (in a residential)

Vac like a mo fo

crb, then pad clean with cotton or glads

Then use the HWE spotter to suck up the dried cat poo in the corner and rinse out the solvent you used on paint, and ground in play doe.

To review, 1, Vac like crazy
2, pre spray,
3, scrub like crazy,
4, pad with absorbent changing pads rapidly,
5 , spot needed areas with hwe spotter, (cat puke etc.)
6, post vac

you can do wonderfull work like that, but who the heck wants to?
I would rather pre spray , rake traffic, HWE , see you later thanks for the check.

Use vlm on the jobs that just need a quick light cleaning,
Reply }}
Thanks given by: