The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Creating default object from empty value - Line: 11 - File: inc/plugins/tapatalk.php PHP 7.4.25 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/plugins/tapatalk.php 11 errorHandler->error
/inc/class_plugins.php 38 require_once
/inc/init.php 239 pluginSystem->load
/global.php 18 require_once
/showthread.php 28 require_once

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Dual method conversation
I get a call from a nice lady, she was referred to me by one of my oldest customers. (I always used VLM on the lady's house)

The nice lady tells me that her friend told her I was the greatest carpet cleaner in the world, so she wanted to try me out.

We talk about what she wants done, and get a price set for her. Then she asks me how I clean, I tell her I have a nice dry cleaning system that works real well in some cases and that is what I have always used on her friends carpet. Then I told her I also have a truck mounted steam machine , and sometimes that's the best option ,

She said my carpet is real bad , I want you to bring your big guns, so you should use the TM.

This is where my old VLM training kicked in, I almost said, lets look at what you got and I will make the recommendation as to what will work best for you. (And then go on about benefits of VLM)

BUT INSTEAD, I said, sure we'll used the TM and steam the heck out of that carpet. She said, "great " end of discussion.

It's nice not to have to sell someone on method all the time.

The interesting thing, she was referred to me by a lady that always had me dry clean, yet the women still wanted the TM.
Reply }}
Thanks given by:
Yeah I get occasional calls that would go just like that IF I had a TM. Since I don't I'm usually on the phone with them for a few minutes trying to explain my system and all that. Usually everything is fine after a conversation of a minute or two, but once in a while it doesn't go so well so I have to refer them elsewhere or what not.

Maybe if I'm lucky I'll be able to add a second van with a TM in it by next summer. We'll see. If you see any good bargains let me know, I might even pay you to fix er up for me.
Reply }}
Thanks given by:
Funny story. My first job of the day was a 2 br apt where the pm company never had the carpet cleaned since the tenants HAD to move in ASAP.

Well as I walked up with my vacuum and 100' of solution line (I hand coil my solution lines) she asked are you going to steam or dry clean? I said steam? She was like, I want the dry clean method. Usually it's the other way around.
Carpet Cleaning Salinas, Monterey, Pebble Beach Ca
ProGreen Kleen & Floor Care
http://Progreenkleen.net
Reply }}
Thanks given by:
Offering two methods. This is thought provoking and groundbreaking..... Tongue

Yes, two is better than one. I don't think anyone in their right mind would disagree with this.

I do wonder though, what happens when you decide to use one method over the other (after telling the customer that you use A and B processes) and you fall short of the customers expectations?

Surely this has happened.

Do you do the job over again?
I'm just trying to hack my way to glory.

Get Encapsulation Pads & More!

1 X's Orbot, Windsor & Sanitare Vacs, Multisprayer, Oreck Orbitor, Stepson, BrushEncap (TM4) CRB  
Reply }}
Thanks given by:
I'd suspect that she'd still use you regardless of method.

Word of mouth customers are hiring the cleaner based on endorsement, process is usually moot.

Your quote:

She said my carpet is real bad , I want you to bring your big guns, so you should use the TM.

Shouldn't this be your decision?

Not giving you a hard time, just find it interesting that someone would say this.

(08-27-2013, 09:44 PM)Andy Mc Wrote: I get a call from a nice lady, she was referred to me by one of my oldest customers. (I always used VLM on the lady's house)

The nice lady tells me that her friend told her I was the greatest carpet cleaner in the world, so she wanted to try me out.

We talk about what she wants done, and get a price set for her. Then she asks me how I clean, I tell her I have a nice dry cleaning system that works real well in some cases and that is what I have always used on her friends carpet. Then I told her I also have a truck mounted steam machine , and sometimes that's the best option ,

This is where my old VLM training kicked in, I almost said, lets look at what you got and I will make the recommendation as to what will work best for you. (And then go on about benefits of VLM)

BUT INSTEAD, I said, sure we'll used the TM and steam the heck out of that carpet. She said, "great " end of discussion.

The interesting thing, she was referred to me by a lady that always had me dry clean, yet the women still wanted the TM.

1 X's Orbot, Windsor & Sanitare Vacs, Multisprayer, Oreck Orbitor, Stepson, BrushEncap (TM4) CRB  
Reply }}
Thanks given by:
(08-28-2013, 12:19 AM)thecleaningdude Wrote: Offering two methods. This is thought provoking and groundbreaking..... Tongue

Yes, two is better than one. I don't think anyone in their right mind would disagree with this.

I do wonder though, what happens when you decide to use one method over the other (after telling the customer that you use A and B processes) and you fall short of the customers expectations?

Surely this has happened.

Do you do the job over again?

When doing occupied residential, HWE is always my go to. If I get a call back (rare), then VLM is my "fix it" method.

If they are still unhappy after both methods, then they get a full refund and I'm on my way. Can't think of anytime this has happened....yet?
Carpet Cleaning Salinas, Monterey, Pebble Beach Ca
ProGreen Kleen & Floor Care
http://Progreenkleen.net
Reply }}
Thanks given by:
My referrals often ask how I clean. More often than not they make some kind of negative comment on the guys that use water to clean or the guys that use long hoses. Rarely do they use the term steam cleaning but they will often say your not like so and so are you? and I know they are talking about steam cleaners.
All my new clients come from doing research and have found me on my web sight. I believe that they are looking for a new cleaner because they are not satisfied with what they have had in the past.

My explanation on how I clean is on my website is on my (Our Process) page.
www.naturalcleaningsystems.ca
Reply }}
Thanks given by:
I'd suspect that she'd still use you regardless of method."

For sure she would have, but I would have had to explain it to her, educate her, ,,, Much easier to say, yep , we will steam it .

I prefer to use the TM any ways, just mentioned both methods because I use VLM on her friends carpet.

Reply }}
Thanks given by:
Having both is the best situation. My first job today was barely dirty, looked great after vacuuming. No problem using VLM, though it would have been quicker TM. Funny thing was lady said I didn't have to use the quick dry as she wasn't concerned about dry times.

Next job was Berber that had a few dirty spots that I pre-scrubbed with my Oreck than padded. Probably would have used OP over TM if I had option.

I rarely get asked about method. I don't bash either method on my website and occasionally will use a porty to HWE when asked or when needed. I never get into a long discussion or have to justify my method. If I get someone who's skeptical I just tell them if your not happy when I'm done its free, not much to argue about there. I had one lady who I cleaned her dirty dining room for first than got the OK to do rest of house.

Eventually I'll have a TM. I'll use it for tile, price shoppers and nasty jobs plus jobs where it is just easier. OP will be part of my premium green package and I'll charge .50 sq ft and up for the one hour drying. There are a lot of people who've had very bad experience with splash and dash cleaning and they think all cleaners are like that. They really like quick dry times.

Andy, you got the referral because you did a good job and the lady liked you. She didn't give a rats donkey about your method or she would have told her friend all about it. Customers like clean rugs and nice people more than method.
Reply }}
Thanks given by:
This is exactly right across the board.

As I've said before, this is something I'm struggled with for a while (which HWE tool) myself.

I'll tell you one thing though, I will never overly concern myself with what method others use to clean carpet.

LOL

(08-28-2013, 04:49 PM)Rug Beater Wrote: Having both is the best situation. My first job today was barely dirty, looked great after vacuuming. No problem using VLM, though it would have been quicker TM. Funny thing was lady said I didn't have to use the quick dry as she wasn't concerned about dry times.

Next job was Berber that had a few dirty spots that I pre-scrubbed with my Oreck than padded. Probably would have used OP over TM if I had option.

I rarely get asked about method. I don't bash either method on my website and occasionally will use a porty to HWE when asked or when needed. I never get into a long discussion or have to justify my method. If I get someone who's skeptical I just tell them if your not happy when I'm done its free, not much to argue about there. I had one lady who I cleaned her dirty dining room for first than got the OK to do rest of house.

Eventually I'll have a TM. I'll use it for tile, price shoppers and nasty jobs plus jobs where it is just easier. OP will be part of my premium green package and I'll charge .50 sq ft and up for the one hour drying. There are a lot of people who've had very bad experience with splash and dash cleaning and they think all cleaners are like that. They really like quick dry times.

Andy, you got the referral because you did a good job and the lady liked you. She didn't give a rats donkey about your method or she would have told her friend all about it. Customers like clean rugs and nice people more than method.

Reply }}
Thanks given by:
(08-28-2013, 12:21 AM)thecleaningdude Wrote: I'd suspect that she'd still use you regardless of method.

Word of mouth customers are hiring the cleaner based on endorsement, process is usually moot.

Your quote:

Shouldn't this be your decision?

Not giving you a hard time, just find it interesting that someone would say this.

(08-27-2013, 09:44 PM)Andy Mc Wrote: I get a call from a nice lady, she was referred to me by one of my oldest customers. (I always used VLM on the lady's house)

My "big guns" would be a combo of both. I would scrub with my rotary and microbeasts and extract with my truckmount.

I don't get asked about method very much but its definitely nice to be able to say you can do either when you are asked.

Last year I bought a new portable for cleaning high rises and while its tons better and somewhat faster than my old portable I really wish I had spent that money on vlm equipment. I'm really going to start emphasizing vlm on every job where a portable would normally be required. I'll have to start out making do with my rotary and cimex but eventually will get a crb and maybe an OP machine.
Reply }}
Thanks given by:
Hi Mardie,

I like you. I have much respect for you & your wisdom on the BB. Seems like you got your act together.

That all said... I really think you would make huge leaps forward in your life & the lives of your family by going the TM route (assuming your whole town isnt hi-rise city). I am sure you have what it takes to be very successful with a larger operation...if you choose to go that route. I would be very very surprised if after 1 year of having a decent TM & toys, you wouldnt regret having it at all.

food for thought for you,
imo
Con
Reply }}
Thanks given by:
having both is not the best situation wow

oh no i didnt!

haha. best for some absolutely, not everybody. been there done that, not best for me. just throwing that out there

deadhorse
Currently retired from HWE; VLM only. Commercial Only...well except for the occasional resi job every few weeks.

Carpet Cleaning Rochester NY
Carpet Cleaner Rochester NY

The tools I use or have on the van ... in order from most used, to least used:  Dyson ; 19" Cimex ; Multi-Sprayer ; Orbot ; Oreck-Orbiter ; Hoover-Conquest ; Cyclo Polisher ; DryPod ; 20" Whittaker Trio.
Reply }}
Thanks given by:
curious Derek, best for 'you' or best for 'clients'?

Con
Reply }}
Thanks given by:
best for both?

since i'm the pro i tell them what they need.
Currently retired from HWE; VLM only. Commercial Only...well except for the occasional resi job every few weeks.

Carpet Cleaning Rochester NY
Carpet Cleaner Rochester NY

The tools I use or have on the van ... in order from most used, to least used:  Dyson ; 19" Cimex ; Multi-Sprayer ; Orbot ; Oreck-Orbiter ; Hoover-Conquest ; Cyclo Polisher ; DryPod ; 20" Whittaker Trio.
Reply }}
Thanks given by:
(08-28-2013, 11:15 PM)Con Schultz Wrote: Hi Mardie,

I like you. I have much respect for you & your wisdom on the BB. Seems like you got your act together.

That all said... I really think you would make huge leaps forward in your life & the lives of your family by going the TM route (assuming your whole town isnt hi-rise city). I am sure you have what it takes to be very successful with a larger operation...if you choose to go that route. I would be very very surprised if after 1 year of having a decent TM & toys, you wouldnt regret having it at all.

food for thought for you,
imo
Con

thanks Con That means a lot to me coming from you.hatsoff
Reply }}
Thanks given by:
Quit selling methods, sell results.
Reply }}
Thanks given by:
(08-30-2013, 06:50 AM)Rambo Wrote: Quit selling methods, sell results.

I do not mention methods when I sell. I sell service. I do explain how I go about the job and what I will be doing then only when asked will I explain how my equipment works.
Reply }}
Thanks given by:
(08-30-2013, 06:50 AM)Rambo Wrote: Quit selling methods, sell results.

I do not mention methods when I sell. I sell service. I do explain how I go about the job and what I will be doing then only when asked will I explain how my equipment works.
I personally do not think the clients care about method. They do care about clean carpet and it not being wet all day and all night and the next day when they wake up and the day after that.
Reply }}
Thanks given by:
Your web site disagrees with you.
Reply }}
Thanks given by: