Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Green Guard Protector & Bridgepoint EncapuGuard
I think these "Carpet Protector" products are basically just film forming polymers that coat the fibers. Not nearly as effective or long lasting as fluorochemicals.

The business owner that I interviewed Monday night, that uses Trinity and low moisture encap solutions, said that he sells Green Guard as carpet protector for $20 per room.

I don't think Green Guard or EncapuGuard would do a damn thing if applied after encapping/padcapping.

And if I am right, I don't think this gentleman realizes it.

Your thoughts?
[-] The following 1 user Likes Paul Demers's post:
  • curtis
Reply }}
Thanks given by:
Paul,

More importantly, how would you test it over time? I'm game.

Currently I have commercial regular accounts that I could do sections and video/follow up and video; a bit harder for residential?

What products would you compare?

What would be the thing(s) that would "make it effective" or make it "not effective"?

The only thing that prevents unbelievable sales of any protector is doubt in the carpet cleaner's mind... How could we become convinced?

Like Con has said in the past, would you charge your grandmother for it? YES, if you were positive it benefited her more than the costs.

How would we likewise know that another product was better/worse?

I'M absolutely certain that we all, after experience trust Steve Smith... I certainly can't think after all these years of one time where I've been disappointed in the quality of a product for the cost....

So! By the above paragraph being true, why am I not offering it to all my customers? .... Actually, why don't I insist on it/push it?

Just food for thought.... not intended to misdirect the thread, but would also apply... not just for the business you referenced, but to all of us?
Coby Gibson
formerly: www.45Clean.com
CobyGibson@me.com

Reply }}
Thanks given by:
(03-19-2014, 11:42 PM)Coby Wrote: Paul,

More importantly, how would you test it over time? I'm game.

Currently I have commercial regular accounts that I could do sections and video/follow up and video; a bit harder for residential?

What products would you compare?

What would be the thing(s) that would "make it effective" or make it "not effective"?

The only thing that prevents unbelievable sales of any protector is doubt in the carpet cleaner's mind... How could we become convinced?

Like Con has said in the past, would you charge your grandmother for it? YES, if you were positive it benefited her more than the costs.

How would we likewise know that another product was better/worse?

I'M absolutely certain that we all, after experience trust Steve Smith... I certainly can't think after all these years of one time where I've been disappointed in the quality of a product for the cost....

So! By the above paragraph being true, why am I not offering it to all my customers? .... Actually, why don't I insist on it/push it?

Just food for thought.... not intended to misdirect the thread, but would also apply... not just for the business you referenced, but to all of us?

Coby,

First off, your busy season is beginning. I do not want to hear the word "test" come out of your mouth until December.

Second, Fluorochemicals WORK! Period! And you can trust Steve to make the best, and we know they are compatible with his cleaning juices.

Now pay attention to this next sentence.

Ask each residential customer if they would you to apply a Scotchgard type carpet protector after you finish cleaning their carpets.

Just think how many more vacuum cleaner models you can test next year with your protector sales profits!!!
[-] The following 1 user Likes Paul Demers's post:
  • Con Schultz
Reply }}
Thanks given by:
Can you effectively spray protector down with a pump up sprayer?
Do you work it in with a carpet rake after spraying?
Which protector do you use?
How long does it add to your dry times?
Tools: Old Blue CCS OP machine, Gem oscillating stair machine, Dyson vacuum, Bissell Proforce vacuum, Vacaway chems, Glad pads, Pump up sprayers. padding

www.smartdrycarpetcleaning.com

Reply }}
Thanks given by:
Paul is right. There isn't a lot to protector imo.

I use the Vacaway protectors. They're very affordable and for me that is my primary concern with this specific product.

Yes, it helps, but it's not the end all be all miracle that some CC'ers make it out to be. Not in my opinion at least.

When I 'sell it' (customer asks for it) I recommend it for traffic lanes only. I do not sell whole rooms of protector. Most people simply will not benefit from it at all.

I offer it for the most affordable price I can.

Yes, pump up sprayer or electric sprayer or even a small Hydro Force hand sprayer. Apply evenly and rake.

Adds 30 - 45 minutes to dry times depending.

(03-20-2014, 10:27 PM)infamousdave Wrote: Can you effectively spray protector down with a pump up sprayer?
Do you work it in with a carpet rake after spraying?
Which protector do you use?
How long does it add to your dry times?
I'm just trying to hack my way to glory.

Get Encapsulation Pads & More!

1 X's Orbot, Windsor & Sanitare Vacs, Multisprayer, Oreck Orbitor, Stepson, BrushEncap (TM4) CRB  
Reply }}
Thanks given by:
Paul,

Left at 7:00am to shop this am, just home at 10:30pm... not busy yet... lots of time to test... :-). And... my helper worked a split shift so I didn't have near as much overtime out :-).

Saw a couple of vac's today that seemed to be close to the Bissell/Shark ... (Hoover Wind-tunnel & Bissell Clear something)... I DIDN'T BUY either one to test. When I followed customer vac though, they seemed like they may 'make the cut'???

I can see another phone call in my future to the patient, loving, kind & gentle spirited Steve Smith (he loves my questions) in my future? As long as he doesn't say all those bad things about you again... Really bother's me when he does that....Down Laughing
Coby Gibson
CobyGibson@me.com

Reply }}
Thanks given by:
Mr. Coby, I am now using the (Hoover Wind-Tunnel Pro), I am not sure how it would stack up to your's and Mr. Demer's stuff, but so far I am happy with it, and I like the crevice tool, easy to use and effective.

padding
Curtis
[-] The following 1 user Likes curtis's post:
  • Coby
Reply }}
Thanks given by:
Just because I get suckered in... I get ownership?

"stack up to your's and Mr. Demer's stuff"

Pleeeeeeezzeeeee! :-)... For now and evermore: Paul just "spins me like a top"... I can't help it, it is like total mind control...

SO... if I do anything at anytime that seems at all contrary or incorrect, just rest assured... it is ALL and always Paul's fault. Sometimes (actually often) the real culprit is John G., but focus needs to remain on Paul as the button pusher.

Anyway, didn't want to sidetrack this thread.. but really happy to hear that about the wind-tunnel vac. Now to set you up with a video, comparison equipment and measurable ability to judge fine particulate soil removal differences...
Coby Gibson
CobyGibson@me.com

Reply }}
Thanks given by:
After Paul posed his questions I was a little curious as I've used Green Guard. I'm not a chemist so I'm not able to speculate whether Paul is correct or not so I asked Tri-Plex the maker of Green Guard and got a reply back from Lee who I believe is the owner of the company. They also make a fluorochemical protector. Anyway this is what he had to say.

Todd
Thanks for sending us your question. I would tell you that both products (Green Guard and Fluorochemicals) have a polymer in them. If you look at the description of most Flouro products they have an acrylic base. I have been doing this a long time and would tell you that all Protectant are film forming otherwise they would not be effective. There has to be some chemistry available to block stain or soil. In the old days we where concerned about sight line protection for the carpets mainly so that if a stain occurred it would be below what the consumer would see. That is why the 200 square feet per diluted gallon of coverage comes in. In today's world consumers are concerned about environmental risks. They hear about Teflon in their frying pans coming off and them eating it. Some are concerned about the 3M scotch guard environmental and human risks. The discussion about the flourochemical lasting longer then the green guard they are absolutely correct. If you spray one of our flurochemicals or 3M or DuPont I will tell you the flourochemical will be in the environment for ever. The natural ability of the environment to break down the chemistry will take hundreds of years. This is the concern that most people have along with fact that most consumers have heard bad stories about flourochemicals on 60 minutes and show like that. Flourochemicals are not considered biodegrade by most peoples standards. In order to meet EPA DfE standards Green Guard pass the biodegradability standards. If you ask someone that uses Green Guard and services an account on a regular bases they will tell you the durability and performance is better then when they used a flouro product. Several reasons # 1 the amount of solids applied to the weight of the goods is much higher with the green guard giving much better protection and for a longer period. # 2 The ability of the product to lock on to the fiber is key factor to its success. There are hundreds of people that use the encap system and use green guard every day with no problems. There is a huge difference between the detergent polymer used in most encap and a soil and stain polymer used in our green guard. I hope I have answered your questions if you need any other info please call or send me an email. Apply some in your home you will be impressed. Its what we use in our homes and recommend it to friends and family.

I'm not sure if this helps you or not.
[-] The following 1 user Likes saabtrash's post:
  • Con Schultz
Reply }}
Thanks given by:
Thanks Todd,

That was an interesting response from Lee. I will have to read it a couple more times to digest it. Thanks for taking the time to contact them about my question.

I just can't wrap my head around how a film forming protector will form a long lasting film on a carpet already containing an encap product, either film forming or crystallizing. I could understand it working if applied AFTER vacuuming out our crystallizing encap....but adding to it?

That green guard and encapuguard are dirt cheap, I would love to use it and call it carpet protector if I knew for sure it was compatible with our encap chemicals....

Maybe Steve could develop a non fluorochemical green carpet protector that was compatible with his juice.....and sell it for a similar price .....

If Steve told me it works, I would not have to wonder or worry, because I trust him.
Reply }}
Thanks given by: