Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Please allow me to introduce Larry Galler, business coach
Hi everyone,

I am very excited to announce that Larry Galler has volunteered to moderate this new section of our bulletin board.happy

I have used Larry's services in the past and was very pleased. He helped me greatly in launching VacAway! I found him to be very honest, sincere and knowledgeable in business management.

I know that there are a zillion gurus out there who will advise people in sales, marketing, advertising etc. (some are good, some are terrible but that’s a topic for another discussion). But there is very little advice on managing the business, leadership, vision, etc. and it is sorely needed.

Larry has a weekly column / newsletter you can subscribe to for free. I'll let him tell you more about that.

Many of you might already be familiar with Larry and his “One Year to Greatness” program. It is my understanding that a number of business owners in the carpet cleaner / janitorial / restoration / etc. industry have really transformed their businesses from marginal businesses to more profitable, more sustainable, and more enjoyable businesses because of this program. You have probably read about it in CleanFax magazine.

I have given Larry permission to promote his program in this forum, because I sincerely believe Larry can help turn your business around!

Steve Smith

[Image: LogoSmall.jpg]
Products that make you a HERO in your customer's eyes!Rdance
Reply }}
Thanks given by:
wow Thats too cool. I can't wait to read more.
Thanks Steve and Larry.
Reply }}
Thanks given by:
Cool, Welcome Larry!

All help is appreciated, especially the FREE kind! Tongue
You never rolled in the hay
Ya never thrown it in four wheel
Climb on up in here, girl
Let me show ya how country feels

"How Country Feels" Randy Houser

Reply }}
Thanks given by:
Hi Everyone:

I want to thank Steve for appointing me moderator of the Business Management Forum on the No Sticky Residue Bulletin Board. It is my goal to give you insight into management issues that will help you manage your businesses more effectively with less effort and stress.

You can learn more about me and my “One Year to Greatness” program at http://www.oneyeartogreatness.com.

I’d like to start this forum off with one question:
What is your biggest frustration you have in managing your business?

I sincerely hope you find this forum helpful in making your business a “Great Business!”

Larry
Small Business Greatness Coach
Reply }}
Thanks given by:
Welcome Larry,

I'll be first I guess to answer the question. My biggest frustration at this point is trying to get my employee to realize how important it is to do a good job. A good job means getting referals and that means more money, for both of us. My business took off last year, and I'm getting a lot of places calling and just wanting us to come in do there cleaning. They don't want quotes, they know I'll do a great job, however getting my employee to do the same great job is the difficult part.

My main business is Commercial cleaning, so she does some of the nightly cleaning jobs.

I'm also looking at hiring at least 1 more employee in the next couple months or so, and don't want to run into the same problems with the new employee.
Brent

Keep it Clean, Keep it Longer.
Reply }}
Thanks given by:
Good question Brent. I would like to hear Larry's answer also.
I find most of the employee's that work or worked for me just
don't try hard if I'm not there with them. It's not the pay either.
Nick
Reply }}
Thanks given by:
(03-10-2011, 11:34 AM)Brent Wrote: Welcome Larry,

I'll be first I guess to answer the question. My biggest frustration at this point is trying to get my employee to realize how important it is to do a good job. A good job means getting referals and that means more money, for both of us. My business took off last year, and I'm getting a lot of places calling and just wanting us to come in do there cleaning. They don't want quotes, they know I'll do a great job, however getting my employee to do the same great job is the difficult part.

My main business is Commercial cleaning, so she does some of the nightly cleaning jobs.

I'm also looking at hiring at least 1 more employee in the next couple months or so, and don't want to run into the same problems with the new employee.

Hi Brent:

Thanks for the welcome!

First issue - getting your employee to get referrals.

I assume that your employee was trained in some way to become a cleaner of commercial carpet in order to become good at that part of the job. You have probably observed her quality and speed levels at cleaning and coached her on becoming better at it.

Has she gotten marketing or sales training? Have you given her scripts on what to say, how to say it, and when to say it to people who might be prospects? Have you done role playing with her in delivering the message?

Few people are "natural" marketers and salespeople but most can become good at it with some decent training. Training can help them overcome their shyness and can give them the confidence to approach people they don't know, introduce themselves, and deliver a short message effectively.

If she has been trained then it is a different matter - and might require a different conversation about your expectations for her success, setting goals, ways of measuring her marketing/sales activities, and possibly compensation rewards for bringing in referrals.

Second issue - Hiring the problem-free employee.
Honestly, there is no such thing! But the first step is knowing and being able to describe what you want in an employee - the skills, abilities (not the same thing as skills), and personality of the person you will want to hire. Write out a job description that includes the duties of they job people will be applying for. If you want them to be certified cleaners, marketers / salespeople / have mechanical ability / etc. Then go find the best possible applicants that you can get for the amount you are willing to spend in compensation.

I have written a 5 page Special Report "Hiring The Best Person Possible" that explains the steps in the hiring process to take to have a better chance for attracting a more successful new employee. To get it just send me an email larry@larrygaller.com and put "Hiring Report" in the subject line with your name, company name, and phone number in the body of the email. There is no charge for this report.

Hope this helps,

Larry
P.S. Sign up for my weekly newspaper column at my website http://www.oneyeartogreatness.com
Reply }}
Thanks given by:
(03-10-2011, 06:53 PM)Nick P Wrote: Good question Brent. I would like to hear Larry's answer also.
I find most of the employee's that work or worked for me just
don't try hard if I'm not there with them. It's not the pay either.
Nick

Hi Nick:

Please look at my answer to Brent, but beyond that, I've found that businesses that are able to get their employees to do excellent work have a good process for hiring, training, motivating, and inspiring employees. This includes developing operations and training manuals, clear expectations for their job performance, ways of measuring whether they are producing to those expectations, and a lot more.

I just worked with a client to develop this process for his business. We developed four levels of employee: Trainee, Apprentice, Journeyman, Team Leader. There are different expectations for each and, of course, different levels of compensation for each.

The most critical level is the first one - Trainee. This is where they learn the culture of the company, what a good job looks like, how much time it should take to do a good job, how to use and care for your equipment, etc. and one of the most critical parts of this is your feedback / mentoring / coaching with a goal of getting them to work independently without constant supervision - which would make them able to reach the Apprentice Level.

Send an email to larry@larrygaller.com with "Hiring Report" in the subject line with your name, company name, and phone number and I'll send it to you and sign up for my weekly newspaper column at http://www.larrygaller.com

Hope this helps,
Larry Galler
Reply }}
Thanks given by:
Hello Larry,

Welcome to the NoSticky Board...

For a new business without customers what would method of advertising would you use?

Market area about 80,000 people

15 radio stations
One group of radio stations =6 stations This group has a Groupon style option called Seize the Deal...
one group or 5 stations
2 newspapers one daily and one weekly liberal rag.
Direct mail
valpack?

The cleaning method would be vlm and with hwe porty for backup

Option one mainly commercial

Option two mainly residential..

Thanks,
Rick

Quality means doing it right when no one is looking...

Henry Ford
Reply }}
Thanks given by:
Welcome Larry.

Reply }}
Thanks given by:
(03-11-2011, 07:02 AM)C Spot Stop Wrote: Welcome Larry.
Thanks, happy to be here!
Reply }}
Thanks given by:
Hey Larry,
Thanks for the response. I guess I should have been more clear. Our Commercial Cleaning, is janitorial work. That's our main avenue at this point. The girl I have working for me does the janitorial work (dumping garbages, dusting, sweep/mop floors, and vacuuming). She doesn't deal with people or deal with sales, etc. All she has to do is let the work speak for itself. If the place is clean each morning when the manager of the building shows up, he tells his friends at coffee. And we get more work.

At this point I do all the advertising, sales, payroll, book keeping, carpet cleaning (residential and commercial), window washing, floor waxing, I also clean 5 out of our 7 janitorial contracts, etc.

I've explained to her that I'd like to be paying her a LOT more, but I can't if I'm getting complaints on her cleaning abilities. But then nothing changes in her attitude or cleaning methods, and she doesn't increase her time in the building to do the job right, etc.
Brent

Reply }}
Thanks given by:
(03-10-2011, 11:04 PM)Rick Imby Wrote: Hello Larry,

Welcome to the NoSticky Board...

For a new business without customers what would method of advertising would you use?

Market area about 80,000 people

15 radio stations
One group of radio stations =6 stations This group has a Groupon style option called Seize the Deal...
one group or 5 stations
2 newspapers one daily and one weekly liberal rag.
Direct mail
valpack?

The cleaning method would be vlm and with hwe porty for backup

Option one mainly commercial

Option two mainly residential..

Thanks,
Rick

Hi Rick:

A business without customers is going to have difficulty funding an advertising campaign for any length of time and advertising is not a one shot deal where you advertise a couple times and the phone starts ringing off the hook. It takes a commitment to invest over a long period of time to be effective.

That said, you should probably limit your target market to a relatively small geographic area, many communities have property owners associations with newsletters that reach a relatively high-end demographic for little money.

Most communities the size of yours have "networking groups" such as BNI, LeTip, Leads Clubs, and independent groups that can be very effective in getting business from members (almost all members will have carpeting in their homes and businesses) and referrals to people members know. They are inexpensive to join and belong to but you must work at your presentation skills and follow-up with people regularly.

Constantly be distributing your business cards and / or flyers with a "new customer offer" and make a goal of distributing 10, 20 or more each day.

For commercial work you can do cold calling, send a business letter introducing yourself and your business followed up with a phone call to get an appointment to do a demo targeted to owners and managers of businesses, offices, and property managers of apartment complexes. For names and addresses of contacts look at the web site of your local Chamber of Commerce for a directory of members or stop in at the Chamber office and get their printed directory and use that list.

Most importantly, don't get discouraged when you hear the word "No" because you'll hear that often but you will also hear an occasional "Yes" and one "Yes" will pay for 100 "no's."

Sign up to receive my weekly newspaper column and newsletter at http://www.oneyeartogreatness.com" to get thoughts on better managing and growing your business.

Hope this helps,
Larry
Reply }}
Thanks given by:
Larry, very exciting to see you here!

Brent, you should take in SFS at Jondon - it really makes a huge difference in the Q you have!

My frustration would be setting new biz goals. I always reach my goals, just dont have any new ones to go chase after for the past 3 years & therefore I get bored.

I do not want merely financial goals & dont want my life to revolve around money all day every day. Sure, its easier to set a goal to add more trucks & more headaches.

I dont think I am missing out anything in life, I work hard - but not unbearable. I love my work, & my tasks & I like my life. largely I have everything in my life that I want in my life. What now? (too young to die as yet)

Con

I suppose getting a 23 yr old & 20 yr old out of MY house would be helpful!
Reply }}
Thanks given by:
(03-11-2011, 12:16 PM)Brent Wrote: Hey Larry,
Thanks for the response. I guess I should have been more clear. Our Commercial Cleaning, is janitorial work. That's our main avenue at this point. The girl I have working for me does the janitorial work (dumping garbages, dusting, sweep/mop floors, and vacuuming). She doesn't deal with people or deal with sales, etc. All she has to do is let the work speak for itself. If the place is clean each morning when the manager of the building shows up, he tells his friends at coffee. And we get more work.

At this point I do all the advertising, sales, payroll, book keeping, carpet cleaning (residential and commercial), window washing, floor waxing, I also clean 5 out of our 7 janitorial contracts, etc.

I've explained to her that I'd like to be paying her a LOT more, but I can't if I'm getting complaints on her cleaning abilities. But then nothing changes in her attitude or cleaning methods, and she doesn't increase her time in the building to do the job right, etc.

Brent, then your issue or problem is having her, and all your future employees when you have them, to:
1) Understand what a high quality job is.
2) Learn to follow your method to a quality job - that might be in cleaning technique, the sequence the various functions of the job are to done in, a process to insure that every space and every item in that space that your client expects to be cleaned is cleaned and cleaned to the level your client expects.

In order to get her, and future employees, to be able to fulfill the promises you have made to your client in order to meet your client's expectations there are some things you need to do. You many have them already in place but if you don't, here is what I'd recommend:
1) A written description of all the tasks she is to do in your client's facility
with a description of a quality job for each task.
2) A method of training her in cleaning techniques in order to do quality, efficient work.
3) A checklist of all the tasks to be done so she can check her work as she is going through the facility.
4) A method of you to check the quality of her work (example - if this is night work then you arrive at the job site first thing in the morning for a spot inspection and take photos of things that are not up to your standards) and scheduled meeting times to review her work
5) A method of rewarding good work and punishing bad work.

Ultimately she may not be the right person for the job. Some people will never understand what quality and efficiency are but, unless you have good tools in place to lead your employees towards doing a great job, you will probably have the same issues with your future employees also. Very few people are "naturals."

I have written a Special Report "Is Training the Black Hole of Time or the Solution." I'll be happy to send it to you at no charge, just send me an email larry@larrygaller.com. Put Training in the subject line. Include your name, company name, and phone number.

Hope you start getting a good job out of your employee soon,
Larry

Reply }}
Thanks given by:
(03-12-2011, 12:31 AM)Con Schultz Wrote: Larry, very exciting to see you here!

Brent, you should take in SFS at Jondon - it really makes a huge difference in the Q you have!

My frustration would be setting new biz goals. I always reach my goals, just dont have any new ones to go chase after for the past 3 years & therefore I get bored.

I do not want merely financial goals & dont want my life to revolve around money all day every day. Sure, its easier to set a goal to add more trucks & more headaches.

I dont think I am missing out anything in life, I work hard - but not unbearable. I love my work, & my tasks & I like my life. largely I have everything in my life that I want in my life. What now? (too young to die as yet)

Con

I suppose getting a 23 yr old & 20 yr old out of MY house would be helpful!

Hi Con:

Sounds like you are in an enviable position. You seem happy as a clam but somehow unfulfilled. From personal experience once the children are out of the house and get settled in their independent lives, your life will change, probably with less personal stress, less noise in the house, and a gallon of milk will last a lot longer in the fridge.

You don't mention personal goals, hobbies, activities, or community involvement like being active in your local chamber of commerce, church, sports, industry or cultural assns. etc. But, if your business goals are being met and you don't want to take on serving a new community or building a substantially larger company this might be an avenue for your increased involvement in your life (since, as you say, you're not ready to kick the bucket yet). Another train of thought - do one or both of your children have any sense of wanting to come into the business? If so, that's another way to reignite your goal setting and achievement agenda.

Con, I offer a free - no obligation coaching call to you (and anyone else who owns a small business). Send me an email for an appointment.

Also, sign up to receive my free weekly newspaper column / newsletter at http://www.oneyeartogreatness.com.

Larry
Reply }}
Thanks given by:
unfulfilled? Nope not at all!

Very "content"? Absolutely... That is where the problem is - nothing missing so nothing to go after either. Delightfully married! Working hard but not overwhelmed. Not wanting to work 4 hours a week collecting the profits of a biz either... that kind of boredom I think is very unhealthy too! Busy hands dont get in trouble often. Awesome faith walk, volunteer here & there, slightly philanthropic (sp?) for the people or org's I can believe in etc

life is just peachy. but lightly bored without a challenge & / or goal to pursue. Many folk might not be happy with my not so large home, my not so large salary, my smaller RV that I get to camp in 50 nights a year, my average 12 hour days 4.7 days a week. I choose these things & I am content in them. I choose not to have to have more money, more toys & a bigger mansion that just needs more maintenance. Faith makes a huge difference in the dreams I dream of.

Contented Con
Reply }}
Thanks given by:
Yikes
Reply }}
Thanks given by:
(03-14-2011, 12:25 AM)Con Schultz Wrote: unfulfilled? Nope not at all!

Very "content"? Absolutely... That is where the problem is - nothing missing so nothing to go after either. Delightfully married! Working hard but not overwhelmed. Not wanting to work 4 hours a week collecting the profits of a biz either... that kind of boredom I think is very unhealthy too! Busy hands dont get in trouble often. Awesome faith walk, volunteer here & there, slightly philanthropic (sp?) for the people or org's I can believe in etc

life is just peachy. but lightly bored without a challenge & / or goal to pursue. Many folk might not be happy with my not so large home, my not so large salary, my smaller RV that I get to camp in 50 nights a year, my average 12 hour days 4.7 days a week. I choose these things & I am content in them. I choose not to have to have more money, more toys & a bigger mansion that just needs more maintenance. Faith makes a huge difference in the dreams I dream of.

Contented Con

Con, it sounds like your are in a very happy place... and don't fret about not being challenged for the time being. If or when you really need some challenges they will probably find you, an opportunity to serve will come along or something will ignite a passion for learning or business or a new skill. Until that happens go with the flow and enjoy.

Larry
Reply }}
Thanks given by:
CON!!!!!!

You get to stay in your RV 50 night's a year?!?!?!?! You have absolutely no idea how jealous I am of you. I used to get out every long weekend camping and ATVing, but now, it's maybe 2x/year, if I'm lucky. I'd be quite happy to be in your shoes Con. My wife's due in June with my 2nd kid, so I'm not even expecting to get out this year. Sad Enjoy what you have my friend, because there's lots that don't get to.[/quote]
Brent

Reply }}
Thanks given by: