Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Are you thinking big enough?
I just read the thread on TMF about the two Grupmy (Grumpies) and Ashley Mc.

There were a couple of people doubting that two Grumpies could do $10,000 worth of work in one night.

Here is a link

https://www.truckmountforums.com/threads...-go.65763/

I am quite certain that Ashley is telling the truth.

So Anybody else maybe starting to think----I need to line up some Big jobs?

I have always thought too small....
Quality means doing it right when no one is looking...

Henry Ford
[-] The following 1 user Likes Rick Imby's post:
  • Lefty724
Reply }}
Thanks given by:
I have a retired executive guy starting to do commercial sales for me next week once I get everything set up for him. Going after the big stuff. He says he is bored and is looking for some action. clap
[-] The following 1 user Likes Mardie VanBree's post:
  • Derek
Reply }}
Thanks given by:
(09-28-2014, 10:41 AM)Mardie VanBree Wrote: I have a retired executive guy starting to do commercial sales for me next week once I get everything set up for him. Going after the big stuff. He says he is bored and is looking for some action. clap

Would you mind discussing your compensation plan that you have with him?

Would love to do something like that myself, but am afraid it will be not enough for someone, making it not worth their while, or I'll be too generous.
Odessa Carpet and Tile Cleaning
Odessa Florida, 33556 | 727-916-2314
Reply }}
Thanks given by:
I didn't see any real valid reason to doubt those production rates. 42,000 sq.ft. of carpet cleaned in roughly 8 hours, but with TWO machines. By my math, that's a hair over 2600 sq ft/hr per machine in open areas. What was surprising to me was that it was done at .26 per sq.ft. That's with a theatre making up more than a third of the total area, and another sizable account with all open area, that's serviced biweekly. Those accounts are few and far between. Hats off for landing them.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Blue Ridge Floor Care's post:
  • Derek
Reply }}
Thanks given by:
(09-28-2014, 12:24 PM)Blue Ridge Floor Care Wrote: I didn't see any real valid reason to doubt those production rates. 42,000 sq.ft. of carpet cleaned in roughly 8 hours, but with TWO machines. By my math, that's a hair over 2600 sq ft/hr per machine in open areas. What was surprising to me was that it was done at .26 per sq.ft. That's with a theatre making up more than a third of the total area, and another sizable account with all open area, that's serviced biweekly. Those accounts are few and far between. Hats off for landing them.

$.26 per sq.ft.? WOW!!! That's huge! I've got an annual account that's 75,000 sq.ft. that I'm stoked to be at $.10!

I've got another at 31,000 sq.ft. For. $.12.

Both are higher than the $.08 that we're competitions bids, I just sold myself. I guess I'm not worth that much after all. Lol!
Reply }}
Thanks given by:
I have a few things up for sale and as soon as they sell, you guys best believe in getting a Grumpy! I already have the color picked out lol!

Once I get the Grumpy, I will no doubt going after HUGE commercial work. I already have a few places in mind.
Carpet Cleaning Salinas, Monterey, Pebble Beach Ca
ProGreen Kleen & Floor Care
http://Progreenkleen.net
[-] The following 1 user Likes Lefty724's post:
  • cleantech
Reply }}
Thanks given by:
(09-28-2014, 11:45 AM)GreenTechAgain Wrote:
(09-28-2014, 10:41 AM)Mardie VanBree Wrote: I have a retired executive guy starting to do commercial sales for me next week once I get everything set up for him. Going after the big stuff. He says he is bored and is looking for some action. clap

Would you mind discussing your compensation plan that you have with him?

Would love to do something like that myself, but am afraid it will be not enough for someone, making it not worth their while, or I'll be too generous.

I like most carpet cleaners could not afford to hire a full time sales person that needs the income from carpet cleaning sales for his or her survival.
I found it is best to hire a retired professional that does not need the money to survive but rather would like the social interaction and make some extra cash with no expectations or quotas or any pressure put on him at all. After all he is retired.
With this arrangement the way I see it is that anything he sells will just be a bonus .
I am setting up a separate web site and e-mail and phone number and cell phone and literature for commercial sales. That will be his baby. If he should quit then I will just handle it all until the next guy comes along.
I figure that I will pay 10% for a finders fee on all new accounts payable upon my receiving my payment. All repeat work will be paid at 5%. If for any reason he decides to quit then I take over all accounts and his pay will stop. I will go with him to inspect and set price when the time comes. He does every thing else. I have also agreed to send all new commercial calls to him so he can do the initial foot work.
He will have nothing to do with my existing commercial accounts.

Any input from other guys on this board would be helpful.
[-] The following 2 users Like Mardie VanBree's post:
  • Derek, GreenTechAgain
Reply }}
Thanks given by:
(09-28-2014, 05:47 PM)Lefty724 Wrote: I have a few things up for sale and as soon as they sell, you guys best believe in getting a Grumpy! I already have the color picked out lol!

Once I get the Grumpy, I will no doubt going after HUGE commercial work. I already have a few places in mind.

Or Lefty you could go out and get the work and then buy the Grumpy because you have too much work for the equipment you have now...

Often we put off doing what we would really like to do until after we do something we don't really want to do.

Henry Ford
[-] The following 1 user Likes Rick Imby's post:
  • Con Schultz
Reply }}
Thanks given by:
Hey Guys!

I've been a primarily commercial guy for years (80/20%) As of the last 3 months Im at (95/5%) Due to some very large windfall accounts.

The 3rd job that night was the biggest $ per SqFt, as it is a special needs job, that has active call center workers for the Govmt. 24/7, closed doors, and security guards breathing down our necks the whole time.
the last job accounted for 70% of the nights $11,245.00 Take.

I am no stranger to big production #'s, and have systems in place for the absolute fastest production possible with given equipment and chemistry needed.

That night couldn't have happened without my A-Team. 2 people Pushing the Grumpys, 1 Person bringing ready mixed chem bottles to us, and going ahead of us with 5 gallon battery sprayers spot treating the worst with a higher concentrated mix, so that there was no need to slow down. (Without this added step, it would have slowed some big areas down to a crawl, as a few big spots were not pre-treated and caused us to slow down considerably to apply more solution from the onboard spray, also causing the on-board spray to require a change more frequently.

We also had a 4th person to move any obstructions, move the cord/change plugs, as we were moving so quickly, we were getting out of range of the very few available wall plugs very fast!

It doesn't take very much to take your production from 3-4k/hr, to a snails pace of 1000/hr, when you're stopping to move chairs, refill your bottle, change plugs, change pads, etc etc etc.

You need to work like a Nascar Pit crew!!

Good chemistry was also an invaluable factor, for this night we wanted every variable controlled. We used de-chlorinated & softened water from the truckmounts 120gal holding tank. Before the job we triple checked the water quality and softness level.

Because we where going to be all over the place in different parts of one town, and in a whole different town for one, water quality vary's WILDLY. In one part, the water smells like a straight up gallon of BLEACH!
[-] The following 1 user Likes ashleymckendree's post:
  • cleantech
Reply }}
Thanks given by:
ashley, that was an awesome awesome post & many of us need to take note of some of your specifics there. I used parts of that post on this past friday... I pretreated heavier spot issues before getting there with the machines as well. I still have a 2 pass system on just about all my com work - 1 wet with the tan (3m type) pad, then MF on second unit going perpendicular to the first machine trails.

Awesome post Ashley!!

Con
26 yrs in Alberta Canada. 2 truck & full rug plant operation. Cleanco Compact 47 TMs with RXs. Currently a Rock, a CM, & 2 Freedom Trinity, 3 Stepson. GLS20, rotary, 2 brute 17 & 2 breeze 17. 200psi porty. Dehus & dryers. Master tech.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Con Schultz's post:
  • ashleymckendree
Reply }}
Thanks given by:
Great Post Ash..

As Mardee was saying a while back---Keep the machine moving at all times.

Think bigger

Henry Ford
[-] The following 2 users Like Rick Imby's post:
  • ashleymckendree, jaguar
Reply }}
Thanks given by:
(09-28-2014, 01:04 PM)REALCLEAN Wrote:
(09-28-2014, 12:24 PM)Blue Ridge Floor Care Wrote: I didn't see any real valid reason to doubt those production rates. 42,000 sq.ft. of carpet cleaned in roughly 8 hours, but with TWO machines. By my math, that's a hair over 2600 sq ft/hr per machine in open areas. What was surprising to me was that it was done at .26 per sq.ft. That's with a theatre making up more than a third of the total area, and another sizable account with all open area, that's serviced biweekly. Those accounts are few and far between. Hats off for landing them.

$.26 per sq.ft.? WOW!!! That's huge! I've got an annual account that's 75,000 sq.ft. that I'm stoked to be at $.10!

I've got another at 31,000 sq.ft. For. $.12.

Both are higher than the $.08 that we're competitions bids, I just sold myself. I guess I'm not worth that much after all. Lol!

Commercial pricing per sq ft differs greatly depending on your location. When I used to work with my pops back home in a mid sized metro area, he could routinely land fairly large commercial accounts with a $0.15 - $0.20 per sqft bid. That's simply unheard of where I am now in a major metro. For example, I mentioned a couple months ago on this board about a 100k sq ft bid that I was involved in. I did manage to make it to the final round (4 competing companies) because, well I'm a pretty good sales person; but when it came down to pricing, they told me that I was by far the highest bid. Oh yea, I was at $0.08 per sq ft. Its very common for janitorial firms, national vendors, etc. to bid $0.03 - $0.05 per sq ft in my area for large commercial... I see it all of the time.

Kudos to getting over $0.20 per sq foot if you can!padding I'll stick to small commercial and residential, where it's possible to differentiate yourself from another vendor because the large firms don't bid on those jobs.
[-] The following 1 user Likes CleaningGreen's post:
  • Con Schultz
Reply }}
Thanks given by: