Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Daycare with smelly sock odor?
I am going in to do a daycare with what the lady called a "smelly sock odor". They had another company try to clean it and it smells the same. I have my cimex, freedom, detonator, gh, eg, and hke. Any tips or suggestions? Thanks
[-] The following 1 user Likes Bone Dry Carpet's post:
  • Mardie VanBree
Reply }}
Thanks given by:
4 oz GH 10 oz Detonator per gal. Clean as normal not to wet with microfiber then use dry glads or microfiber to remove more then sweep the whole job over with EG and 10 oz detonator. Air mover and over night drying . Could be overkill BUT being a new job it is good to hit a grand slam home run.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Mardie VanBree's post:
  • Bone Dry Carpet
Reply }}
Thanks given by:
(10-24-2014, 07:42 AM)Bone Dry Carpet Wrote: I am going in to do a daycare with what the lady called a "smelly sock odor". They had another company try to clean it and it smells the same. I have my cimex, freedom, detonator, gh, eg, and hke. Any tips or suggestions? Thanks

That smelly sock smell is caused by bacteria.... not good for a daycare center. You need to use Microban Clean Carpet Sanitizer. Pre-spray and dwell, then remove soil with Glad Pads. Clean Carpet Sanitizer is not an encap product, but can be used as a "bonnet cleaner", meaning you need to remove soil with absorbent pads.
[-] The following 2 users Like Paul Demers's post:
  • Bone Dry Carpet, curtis
Reply }}
Thanks given by:
CGD or is their a pad under the carpet?

might the odor be from another source?? walls, ductwork, ceiling tile... that's why i dislike odor problems...they aren't always in the carpet Dodgy
Currently retired from HWE; VLM only. Commercial Only...well except for the occasional resi job every few weeks.

Carpet Cleaning Rochester NY
Carpet Cleaner Rochester NY

The tools I use or have on the van ... in order from most used, to least used:  Dyson ; 19" Cimex ; Multi-Sprayer ; Orbot ; Oreck-Orbiter ; Hoover-Conquest ; Cyclo Polisher ; DryPod ; 20" Whittaker Trio.
Reply }}
Thanks given by:
Those are the types of jobs where I add 4 oz/gal of odorcide or hydrocide to my pre-spray. Hopefully Steve's Vacu-Cide will be out soon.

Not having that, Mardee's recipe might work if that's all you have. I might double the encap green and go 4-5 oz detonator instead though.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Grant D's post:
  • Bone Dry Carpet
Reply }}
Thanks given by:
(10-24-2014, 10:53 AM)Derek Wrote: CGD or is their a pad under the carpet?

might the odor be from another source?? walls, ductwork, ceiling tile... that's why i dislike odor problems...they aren't always in the carpet Dodgy
No pad. Found this as well...of course the maint. Man says it's not coming from there...[Image: 0472103dd33d81d47f9b9080f2d8c948.jpg][Image: 67d3bd71ca53cea2428adace47e2b9bd.jpg]
Reply }}
Thanks given by:
Don't use GH in a day care. Seriously that's not cool. That stuff is mega strong and not what I would want a bunch of kids rolling around on. I would go intensity green due to deodorizing needs. GH in a trashed rental sure but in a day care that is just horrible.
[-] The following 1 user Likes greenjoe's post:
  • saabtrash
Reply }}
Thanks given by:
I am with greenjoe, thinking encap green here, along with whatever else in the mix

con
26 yrs in Alberta Canada. 2 truck & full rug plant operation. Cleanco Compact 47 TMs with RXs. Currently a Rock, a CM, & 2 Freedom Trinity, 3 Stepson. GLS20, rotary, 2 brute 17 & 2 breeze 17. 200psi porty. Dehus & dryers. Master tech.
Reply }}
Thanks given by:
(10-25-2014, 11:58 AM)Con Schultz Wrote: I am with greenjoe, thinking encap green here, along with whatever else in the mix

con

What about John G's stuff. ?
Anti-microbial?
Maybe not labeled as such but the silver in it? Help with the smell since it is somewhat residual.
Maybe not appropriate for daycare?

Just thinking, don't know.
Reply }}
Thanks given by:
(10-24-2014, 08:16 AM)Mardie VanBree Wrote: 4 oz GH 10 oz Detonator per gal. Clean as normal not to wet with microfiber then use dry glads or microfiber to remove more then sweep the whole job over with EG and 10 oz detonator. Air mover and over night drying . Could be overkill BUT being a new job it is good to hit a grand slam home run.

ARE YOU SERIOUS? Overkill to say the least its in a daycare.
Reply }}
Thanks given by:
Hope you guys do know that encap solutions no matter GH or EG are inert when dry.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Mardie VanBree's post:
  • Steve Smith
Reply }}
Thanks given by:
Mardie, however the GH is film forming & now kids are rubbing all over it, the EG however breaks off with their rubbing & presumably will get vacuumed daily for its removal.

IMO
Con
26 yrs in Alberta Canada. 2 truck & full rug plant operation. Cleanco Compact 47 TMs with RXs. Currently a Rock, a CM, & 2 Freedom Trinity, 3 Stepson. GLS20, rotary, 2 brute 17 & 2 breeze 17. 200psi porty. Dehus & dryers. Master tech.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Con Schultz's post:
  • Mardie VanBree
Reply }}
Thanks given by:
(10-25-2014, 06:32 AM)greenjoe Wrote: Don't use GH in a day care. Seriously that's not cool. That stuff is mega strong and not what I would want a bunch of kids rolling around on. I would go intensity green due to deodorizing needs. GH in a trashed rental sure but in a day care that is just horrible.

So the kids going on the rental carpet are not as important as the kids going on the day care?

I think the real problem is that us carpet cleaners are the ones the customer looks too as the experts on what is safe and all of the products available to clean carpets will not make any claims as to how safe they are or are not.

So you play it safe and use a product according to what the label says. Your left with procyon----salt water certified safe yet will not make your carpets look too clean.

I have not had any problems with encap green and peroxide but I will not claim any cleaners are safe especially if the kids are licking the carpet or eating off it.

If the carpet is trashed you may have to spot with grease hawg and then clean with encap green
learning something new every minute Hands up Laughing
Carpet Cleaning Naples Florida
my youtube channel

Reply }}
Thanks given by:
(10-28-2014, 09:34 AM)Con Schultz Wrote: Mardie, however the GH is film forming & now kids are rubbing all over it, the EG however breaks off with their rubbing & presumably will get vacuumed daily for its removal.

IMO
Con

Con for the reason you explain about a film former I think I have that covered in my first post on this thread.
Reply }}
Thanks given by:
(10-24-2014, 07:42 AM)Bone Dry Carpet Wrote: I am going in to do a daycare with what the lady called a "smelly sock odor". They had another company try to clean it and it smells the same. I have my cimex, freedom, detonator, gh, eg, and hke. Any tips or suggestions? Thanks

So, have you done this yet? What did you go with, and did it take care of the smell.? We know it was for sure ok immediately foloowing the service. But what about long term, if that what they are after?

How often do they have it cleaned, and how is it maintained between?

So often we can make it better in the short term, but have no control over an enviroment after we are gone.

Who knows, maybe the smell is something that is not anything you can address with a one time clean.

Recently I have done a fitness center in a condo community. Same thing. It is well maintained and clean. But still smells somewhat like a locker room. Not bad but it is there.
I've done it twice. Almost a year in between cleans. Carpet is not bad at all., so that tell you they take care of it on a regular basis. Really cleaned hard the first time CRB'd first. Padded. Then, after scrubbed it again with a deodoizing encp. (bonnets).

Can imagine how bad a daycare could get.

sorry for the hijack. But I am curious and wanted to share why I am asking.
Reply }}
Thanks given by:
what's wrong with GH in a daycare? i'd feel better about a
FF'er than a crystallizer, which will "break" off the fibers and could? become airborn...alergies and such.
Currently retired from HWE; VLM only. Commercial Only...well except for the occasional resi job every few weeks.

The tools I use or have on the van ... in order from most used, to least used:  Dyson ; 19" Cimex ; Multi-Sprayer ; Orbot ; Oreck-Orbiter ; Hoover-Conquest ; Cyclo Polisher ; DryPod ; 20" Whittaker Trio.
Reply }}
Thanks given by:
Looking at the photos I see what looks like water spots on the ceiling
just wonder if they are. May be part of odor problem. Test carpet at base of wall with moisture meter.
OP crb HWE Orick orbital ophand buffer
[-] The following 1 user Likes Harold B's post:
  • Bone Dry Carpet
Reply }}
Thanks given by:
derek, might you be suggesting that Steves products are allergy causing solutions?

Had never thought of that before, but interesting concept. Hopefully Steve might share if there has been any testing on encap residues from his formulas, or if anyone has any client experiences to share along this line?

Con
[-] The following 1 user Likes Con Schultz's post:
  • Derek
Reply }}
Thanks given by:
(10-29-2014, 07:52 PM)Con Schultz Wrote: derek, might you be suggesting that Steves products are allergy causing solutions?

nah, i was more making the point that if some1 thinks a high pH FF'er (GH) is bad for kids, well then why is a crystallizer (EG) better exactly?

still waiting for that explanation from whoever poo-poo'ed it.

Reply }}
Thanks given by:
My presumption & experience watching how easy the crystallizers shatter, is that within a week of use & 3 vacuumings that 90% plus of the crystallizers would be going & not causing any airbornes at all. In the first week, I suspect there would be enough however??

Hoping Steve wades into these deep waters on this thread....

Con
Reply }}
Thanks given by: