Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Starting new business - Most Cost Effective OP or Scrubber?
Hello,

I'm looking to start a residential encap business here in Austin TX in the next few weeks. 

Right now I'm deciding on the best machine to start with while dealing with budget constraints 

I would like to get a Challenger or Orbot but it really is outside of my price range unless I wait longer to start

Right now its looking like a 175 scrubber with Glad pads would be the best fit, or possibly an Oreck Orbiter off of Amazon

Do you have any recommendations on a residential OP machine for under $1,000?  Or would it be better to wait a month or two and buy a higher priced machine?

My plan is to prevac, prespray, use wet fiber plus pad to agitate, then Glad pad, then post vac/groom

Edit: I ended up going with this to start http://www.floorscrubbers.com/floor-scru...chine.html
Reply }}
Thanks given by:
Nice machine but that tank may hinder your ability to get under a desk etc
[-] The following 1 user Likes bigchuckie's post:
  • Nic Cornwell
Reply }}
Thanks given by: Nic Cornwell
Don't rush into anything. JMO! A 175 does work well without a tank attached. pre-spray with a hand held sprayer and you should be fine. It will take you a while to learn how to handle a 175 with furniture around so I would wait and get a orbot or crb first. They are very east to handle. Good luck with what ever you do.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Nick P's post:
  • Nic Cornwell
Reply }}
An Oreck Orbiter would be good for stairs and small areas.  You can get a carpet brush attachment for your 175 and it would be good for pre-scrubbing carpet before extraction with pad. Sometimes you need something stronger than fiber plus pad.
Palmetto Carpet & Tile Cleaners
Facebook

OP machines (Trinity Beast, Profit, Oreck Orbiter, Stepson);  Strong Dry CRB 15" 
[-] The following 1 user Likes SC Cleaner's post:
  • Nic Cornwell
Reply }}
Thanks everyone for the great feedback. 

Finally received my chems and equipment today and did my first run with the 175.  Will keep yall updated on how it goes
[-] The following 1 user Likes Nic Cornwell's post:
  • Derek
Reply }}
Thanks given by: Derek
Good job Nic. A 175 will work wonders with the right chems, brush and pads. Skip a tank for now and just prespray and let the chem dwell for now.

I can do just a good of a job with my 175 as I can with my OP, it just takes longer. Kind of like a porty vs TM debate.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Carpet Cleaning Salinas, Monterey, Pebble Beach Ca
ProGreen Kleen & Floor Care
http://Progreenkleen.net
Reply }}
Thanks given by:
hiyas Nic! glad to see you made it here. congrats on your new equipment padding  on-the-cheap, you might want to start off with a pump-up sprayer from your local hardware store...or off of Amazon something like this one:   http://www.amazon.com/Chapin-20002-2-Gal...up+sprayer

let us know how your 1st job goes Good Job
Currently retired from HWE; VLM only. Commercial Only...well except for the occasional resi job every few weeks.

Carpet Cleaning Rochester NY
Carpet Cleaner Rochester NY

The tools I use or have on the van ... in order from most used, to least used:  Dyson ; 19" Cimex ; Multi-Sprayer ; Orbot ; Oreck-Orbiter ; Hoover-Conquest ; Cyclo Polisher ; DryPod ; 20" Whittaker Trio.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Derek's post:
  • thecleaningdude
Reply }}
Thanks given by: thecleaningdude
Hi Nic,

It looks like you have everything needed to start cleaning. The next step is getting the work. The last time we spoke your plan is to go after residential and eventually commercial. However, I'd suggest going the other way and pursuing commercial first. In my opinion you'll have a much easier time securing commercial accounts. You'll also have the opportunity to add on services like janitorial while you build the floor cleaning business.

Just a thought!
I'm just trying to hack my way to glory.

Get Encapsulation Pads & More!

1 X's Orbot, Windsor & Sanitare Vacs, Multisprayer, Oreck Orbitor, Stepson, BrushEncap (TM4) CRB  
[-] The following 1 user Likes thecleaningdude's post:
  • Derek
Reply }}
Thanks given by: Derek
i couldn't agree more Damon. call anytime Nic if you have questions about getting commercial accounts.
Currently retired from HWE; VLM only. Commercial Only...well except for the occasional resi job every few weeks.

Carpet Cleaning Rochester NY
Carpet Cleaner Rochester NY

The tools I use or have on the van ... in order from most used, to least used:  Dyson ; 19" Cimex ; Multi-Sprayer ; Orbot ; Oreck-Orbiter ; Hoover-Conquest ; Cyclo Polisher ; DryPod ; 20" Whittaker Trio.
Reply }}
Thanks given by: