Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
client not impressed apparently
a first time to us retired client couple schedules a quote and cleaning. They advise me they normally clean every 4 months with a local mid /low end TM steamer. (no prespray - just wand & go) But they are disappointed that it takes that long to dry & the spots come back. I inspect & suggest that OP cleaning as the way to go on this barely soiled 4-5 yr old nylon carpet in the 3BRs, the already replaced Living room with a ole berber which appears to be maybe 1 year old - 'because it was sooo worn out'. (Should have figured out the hint!)

After OP cleaning pads have next to no soil showing, carpet looks like brand new, however hubby is studying me as I am padding and is mentally questioning the validity of the system as he has never seen it before. (you know, it just doesnt go vrooom, vrooom!) But 'she's the boss' - just make her happy. Next day she calls to say she isnt completely happy.

No problem, happy to go back to see the concern and deal with it. She points out the traffic lane in front of a loveseat - that it just doesn't look right'. I couldnt see any such traffic lane. And the coffee spot - I cant see it but it must still be there somewhere - I couldnt see that either. (I am pretty sure that was the issue - that they werent still showing)

However, just to make sure she is happy I offer to reclean TM for her as that is what she is used to. I ask her if she wishes for wanda or the RX and explain the differences. She chooses wanda as she is familiar with that.

I call her the next day - & she is happy.

I cannot remember if I have had a call back using OP when no one was home in the past ?5 yrs? to see how it got done - most absolutely love their results. The only times I have ever been called back to my recollection - is when someone has been home to see it being done - some homeowners - like some cc'rs - just cant believe its true apparently.

So, yes it is still hard to convert some folk!

Con
Reply }}
Thanks given by:
Good post Con!

When someone is used to seeing it done a certain way, it can be difficult for them to accept another way. It is a mental thing, but something that has to be dealt with on occasion.Rolleyes
[Image: LogoSmall.jpg]
Products that make you a HERO in your customer's eyes!Rdance
Reply }}
Thanks given by:
I liked your post Con. There are so many people who really don't understand the process, but then others ask for the low moisture system. Funny world!
Nick
Reply }}
Thanks given by:
The opposite happened to me:

2 years ago I got a call from a Chem Dry customer who wanted me to clean. I was using a TM that year... her carpets needed flushing bad and had been tip bloomed galore. CD had cleaned it for years..

I did the 'steam clean' gig and she simply was not happy. Although the carpet looked good, smelled good and had slight restored the TB issue. Clearly, the issue was in her head...which is located right next to her wallet.

I refunded the money. Husband calls a week or so later and said he thought it looked great and wanted to send me the check.

I refused and marked em off of my list.

Some people hold the world to a higher standard than they hold them selves to. They make great customers for the other guy.
Reply }}
Thanks given by:
I would have accepted the check. Ok twist my arm...I will take the money.
Quality means doing it right when no one is looking...

Henry Ford
Reply }}
Thanks given by:
They didn't even give it a chance, they had predetermined it wasn't as good before you even finished.

Nice try Con, you did the right thing, some people are just too close minded to see the value.
You never rolled in the hay
Ya never thrown it in four wheel
Climb on up in here, girl
Let me show ya how country feels

"How Country Feels" Randy Houser

Reply }}
Thanks given by:
I've had that happen where they felt guilty for being such asses and wanted to send me a check because the carpets really looked great. I just can't refuse money but they definitely got a red flag.

This post gives me an idea for another...one that I am sure has been posted here before and I'm sure we've all dealt with.
Reply }}
Thanks given by:
Let me be clear:

NO one sends the check for any reason other than to save their guilty mind.

Let them feel the guilt. I dont need the money that bad.

I have a no questions asked warranty. Not happy...you get a refund and then encouraged to call another guy...if he does better send me the bill.

I dare you to use it.
Reply }}
Thanks given by:
Hmmmm...How do I disagree without being insulting? I'm just not that good at it...but I'll give it a try.

If YOU did a good job and you know you did...that money is yours...I don't care where it came from (short of being illegal).

Yes, I'm sure it makes them feel better but you're not in business to teach lessons by giving money back ever? Ok, maybe you are...but really you shouldn't be.

I won't discount the thought process....I get it...I even agree with it. But at the same time, don't lose money for the sake of punishing someone else for being an donkey...that donkey parts is going to happen no matter what.

Forgive them for screwing up and being human....even if it means they will be the same way next time....not next time with you...but in other aspects of their life.

I'm not here to play daddy to people...but at the same time, I don't want the headache of them changing their minds AGAIN later and complaining about something else....most people will never change...I just leave it at that.
Reply }}
Thanks given by:
I am not doing it to teach them..

I am not letting them buy the right to feel better about it.

I want referrals.... not bad mouthing.

"He did 'OK' work so we felt guilty and paid him"

over

"I was not happy so he cheerfully refunded the money. I should have paid him. He really did a good job"

Read more about sells.

The customer is satisfied...although he is no longer MY customer. He did not buy the right to bash me.
Reply }}
Thanks given by:
I'm having mixed feelings about what you just said. agreedawwwmanwowthanks
That about covers it. clap

The bashing part makes a ton of sense...but it seems like it would play out more like

"Well, we thought he did a crappy job at first and asked for our money back. But then the carpet turned out really well and we really felt like we should pay him. He refused to take the money, so I'm not sure what to think now."

I'm sure it would be different with everyone.

But your point is taken. Thanks
Reply }}
Thanks given by:
Thats why I don't switch up on old customers.
They are used to see you doing things a certain way and if you change the method they think they are getting less service.

Same with dealing with people who were referred to you that had used chemdry. They were brainwashed into thinking steam is bad! But they aren't happy with chemdry either. So to convert them I explain that carpet is fabric on the floor and in a way I'm doing laundry by rinsing and removing all the soil. The women usually get that concept and accept it. But if they fold their arms while you explain it they won't buy it and you lose!

In commercial I explain that there are 5 methods for which to choose from to clean carpet and it is up to me as the expert to decide which one fits the job at hand.
Reply }}
Thanks given by:
Did you say "hand job" to the client? I'd be careful with that statement Tommy Boy! Tongue

"You know you can get a good look at a T-bone steak by sticking your head up a bull's *** but I prefer to take my butcher's word on it." Big Grin
You never rolled in the hay
Ya never thrown it in four wheel
Climb on up in here, girl
Let me show ya how country feels

"How Country Feels" Randy Houser

Reply }}
Thanks given by:
I've had similar happen to me Con.
One time in particular I got a call from a small PM company to clean a nasty rental because the cleaner they use couldn't get to it in time. I OP cleaned this rat hole and it came out great. They called me after awhile and told me I was the best cleaner they ever used and want to give me all their bizz. I cleaned sevaral jobs for them and they LOVED the results , they keept telling me how amazing I was. So one day I get a call to clean their office and got some strange looks when I bring in my OP machine. That was about a year ago and I haven't heard from them sence.
Reply }}
Thanks given by:
(04-05-2011, 10:38 AM)Andy Mc Wrote: I've had similar happen to me Con.
One time in particular I got a call from a small PM company to clean a nasty rental because the cleaner they use couldn't get to it in time. I OP cleaned this rat hole and it came out great. They called me after awhile and told me I was the best cleaner they ever used and want to give me all their bizz. I cleaned sevaral jobs for them and they LOVED the results , they keept telling me how amazing I was. So one day I get a call to clean their office and got some strange looks when I bring in my OP machine. That was about a year ago and I haven't heard from them sence.

LOL I had the same thing happen about 20 years ago when I was using a rotary. This lady was displeased with every Steam Cleaner in town. She loved my work, but was never there to see it being done. She always had her housekeeper there when I came. Then one day she came home while I was cleaning and started watching me and asked me how that was suppose to clean. She never called me again after watching the process.
[Image: LogoSmall.jpg]
Products that make you a HERO in your customer's eyes!Rdance
Reply }}
Thanks given by:
sMoKE n' mIRRoRS i TElL yA!

Bang Head
Reply }}
Thanks given by:
Apparently the clients didn't see you measuring, Con

You did measure

Reply }}
Thanks given by:
Goes hand in hand with image....which is everything as you know.

HUGE reason for buying the orbot...it just LOOKS like it does more than it does.

Maybe I should run some dummy hoses out to the truck the next time they ask?? LOL
Reply }}
Thanks given by:
Quote:HUGE reason for buying the orbot...it just LOOKS like it does more than it does.

Open minded..... and honest.

hatsoff

I am certain you will do extra well in the business.

Really.
Reply }}
Thanks given by:
(04-05-2011, 03:10 PM)Brian R Wrote: Goes hand in hand with image....which is everything as you know.

HUGE reason for buying the orbot...it just LOOKS like it does more than it does.

Maybe I should run some dummy hoses out to the truck the next time they ask?? LOL

Ha! That's why I never take the tank off of my sprayborg. It's not that I actually use the tank (which I don't), it just makes it look more impressive!
Reply }}
Thanks given by: