The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Creating default object from empty value - Line: 11 - File: inc/plugins/tapatalk.php PHP 7.4.23 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/plugins/tapatalk.php 11 errorHandler->error
/inc/class_plugins.php 38 require_once
/inc/init.php 239 pluginSystem->load
/global.php 18 require_once
/showthread.php 28 require_once

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Pricing
I'm trying to figure out where everyone else is on pricing.  The job I completed today was $270.  It was 5 rooms of carpet (small rooms and no stains), and I cleaned about 250 square feet of tile and grout (slate).  I sealed it with Cobbs Ultraseal.  I worked my butt off, and I know that I charged way too little for this type of job.  I was originally only going to clean the carpet, but they called a few days back and wanted a quote when I arrived for tile and grout as well.  I need to charge more, but apparently my prices were so high, that they only went with 250 sq. ft instead of all the tile and grout.  I'm fairly new to this, but I know that I have to make more than this for a 5 1/2 hour job.
Reply }}
Thanks given by:
(08-01-2016, 03:52 PM)kcoff Wrote: I'm trying to figure out where everyone else is on pricing.  The job I completed today was $270.  It was 5 rooms of carpet (small rooms and no stains), and I cleaned about 250 square feet of tile and grout (slate).  I sealed it with Cobbs Ultraseal.  I worked my butt off, and I know that I charged way too little for this type of job.  I was originally only going to clean the carpet, but they called a few days back and wanted a quote when I arrived for tile and grout as well.  I need to charge more, but apparently my prices were so high, that they only went with 250 sq. ft instead of all the tile and grout.  I'm fairly new to this, but I know that I have to make more than this for a 5 1/2 hour job.
It is hard to comment not knowing all of the details.  When I started someone in the low moisture business for many years suggested charging about 35.00 per room for bedrooms or normal sized rooms.  For 5 rooms that's $175.  Unless they were totally trashed they should not have taken you more than 2 hours.  OK margin, but not great.  I hate doing tile.  I charge .50 per sq/ft for cleaning, .70 if I'm going to clean and seal grout.  If that is too much for the customer, I'm happy to walk away from tile, especially if I have to seal.

The problem that I have, maybe like you, I want to do the absolute best carpet cleaning in town.  I tend to spend too much time per job trying to get it as clean as it can be.  I sure notice the HWE guys in my market don't mind doing splash and dash.  I have many complaints from their customers that now work with me.  

I heard one old timer say that he charges by first looking at the job.  After many years he knows how long it will take him to clean it and then he bids it @ $100/hr.  I have not perfected that yet.  I do agree that if a carpet cleaner is good at what he does and works efficiently,  $100/hr is fair for both the customer and for the cleaner.
[-] The following 2 users Like alanS's post:
  • kcoff, thecleaningdude
Reply }}
Thanks given by: kcoff , thecleaningdude
(08-02-2016, 08:46 PM)alanS Wrote:
(08-01-2016, 03:52 PM)kcoff Wrote: I'm trying to figure out where everyone else is on pricing.  The job I completed today was $270.  It was 5 rooms of carpet (small rooms and no stains), and I cleaned about 250 square feet of tile and grout (slate).  I sealed it with Cobbs Ultraseal.  I worked my butt off, and I know that I charged way too little for this type of job.  I was originally only going to clean the carpet, but they called a few days back and wanted a quote when I arrived for tile and grout as well.  I need to charge more, but apparently my prices were so high, that they only went with 250 sq. ft instead of all the tile and grout.  I'm fairly new to this, but I know that I have to make more than this for a 5 1/2 hour job.
It is hard to comment not knowing all of the details.  When I started someone in the low moisture business for many years suggested charging about 35.00 per room for bedrooms or normal sized rooms.  For 5 rooms that's $175.  Unless they were totally trashed they should not have taken you more than 2 hours.  OK margin, but not great.  I hate doing tile.  I charge .50 per sq/ft for cleaning, .70 if I'm going to clean and seal grout.  If that is too much for the customer, I'm happy to walk away from tile, especially if I have to seal.

The problem that I have, maybe like you, I want to do the absolute best carpet cleaning in town.  I tend to spend too much time per job trying to get it as clean as it can be.  I sure notice the HWE guys in my market don't mind doing splash and dash.  I have many complaints from their customers that now work with me.  

I heard one old timer say that he charges by first looking at the job.  After many years he knows how long it will take him to clean it and then he bids it @ $100/hr.  I have not perfected that yet.  I do agree that if a carpet cleaner is good at what he does and works efficiently,  $100/hr is fair for both the customer and for the cleaner.
Thanks for the comment.  I do tend to spend a lot more time on the carpet, but it still didn't take me more than two hours.  It is the tile and grout that takes forever.  I use a Nautilus, and between setting it up and putting it away, that seems to be more than an hour itself.  I really like how it works after the fact....just can't seem to get anyone to pay for what it's worth (carpet cleaning and tile and grout).
Reply }}
Thanks given by:
My Pricing: $35/room up to 200 sq ft - Standard Hallway $20 - Standard Staircase $40 - Call to Action 3 Rooms for $99 - I charge for pink spots - Urine/ Odor

Tile is a little tricky b/c of conditions, but:  Small Bathrooms by the area Small $35 Medium $50 Large could be by Sq ft.  Kitchens approx .50/sqft.  Clear Seal is .50/sq ft.  Color Seal Approx $1.00/sq ft.  

Equipment, Solution and lots of practice will increase your speed to the point where you will easily make $100/hr.

If you go to Pad Life (Facebook) and post this question, someone like Con will give a much more in depth answer.  Or you can do a search on this site and a lot will come up.  The best answer I've seen was by Con and Coby on what to charge.  They will challenge you on how to come up with the answer based on your personal and business goals and needs.

Hope this helps!  Keep at it, don't give up and you will be successful!
Palmetto Carpet & Tile Cleaners
Facebook

OP machines (Trinity Beast, Profit, Oreck Orbiter, Stepson);  Strong Dry CRB 15" 
[-] The following 2 users Like SC Cleaner's post:
  • kcoff, thecleaningdude
Reply }}
Thanks given by: kcoff , thecleaningdude
What's your tile process? Are you strictly VLM with it? 

They key, in my opinion, is to establish your hourly goal and set prices accordingly. In commercial you might find yourself being extremely competitive (and can even raise your prices/average), while in some situations you might have 'premium' pricing until your processes become more efficient.

Hope this makes sense.
I'm just trying to hack my way to glory.

Get Encapsulation Pads & More!

1 X's Orbot, Windsor & Sanitare Vacs, Multisprayer, Oreck Orbitor, Stepson, BrushEncap (TM4) CRB  
Reply }}
Thanks given by:
Don't feel too bad, when we got started I had a partner and it took two of us four hours to clean an empty two bedroom apartment for a whopping $71.  lol  It was one of our first handful of jobs.  That eventually came down to an hour or so alone.  You'll figure out ways to move along faster.  We all went through that.  I did for years.

As far as pricing, I agree, don't get too caught up in dollars/room or pennies/ft2.  Focus on dollars per hour, that's what counts. 

I'm always curious, too, what other people are charging but comparing who's is bigger isn't always a fair comparison.  Some areas support higher prices than others.  Some folks are pickier about who they court while some set a price to attract the masses.  Your $30/room or 45 cents ft2 might include services some wily competitors might refer to as something like "preconditioning" or "combo-clean" "available" at an additional cost.  It's not always apples-to-apples and what matters is if your pricing is working for you.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Wayne Miller's post:
  • kcoff
Reply }}
Thanks given by: kcoff
Well....  5 weeks later how's things going now?

What was your breakdown of the $270 between carpet and the tile cleaning?
Reply }}
Thanks given by: