Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
2016 - How Did You Do?
The year is almost up. Did you meet your goals? 

What do you have planned for 2017?
I'm just trying to hack my way to glory.

Get Encapsulation Pads & More!

1 X's Orbot, Windsor & Sanitare Vacs, Multisprayer, Oreck Orbitor, Stepson, BrushEncap (TM4) CRB  
Reply }}
Thanks given by:
Well, your jumping the gun a bit as there's still 2 months to go and they can be very busy months...or not....who knows?   Years ago I could depend on Oct/Nov/Dec to be big months every year but for the last 5-6 I haven't seen that happen.

2013 has been my best year so far as an Independent with drop in revenue in 2014 and then more drop in 2015.  This year I'll beat 2015 and I might beat 2014.  I'll not beat 2013.  Maybe next year???? Huh
Reply }}
Thanks given by:
interesting, same for me Barry! 2013 was a record year for us financially. the past 2 years have seen drops by about 10k each year, for no real reason that i can see...perhaps the economy crash from 8 years ago is finally catching up to us.?.

i'm not sure yet about this year, as October was our best month and this month is nice and busy as well. i can't complain, even with an off year like last year, we are paid handsomely and live well....i know, real 1st-world problems, right? we can be pretty spoiled.
Currently retired from HWE; VLM only. Commercial Only...well except for the occasional resi job every few weeks.

Carpet Cleaning Rochester NY
Carpet Cleaner Rochester NY

The tools I use or have on the van ... in order from most used, to least used:  Dyson ; 19" Cimex ; Multi-Sprayer ; Orbot ; Oreck-Orbiter ; Hoover-Conquest ; Cyclo Polisher ; DryPod ; 20" Whittaker Trio.
Reply }}
Thanks given by:
(11-08-2016, 02:04 PM)Derek Wrote: interesting, same for me Barry! 2013 was a record year for us financially. the past 2 years have seen drops by about 10k each year, for no real reason that i can see...perhaps the economy crash from 8 years ago is finally catching up to us.?.

i'm not sure yet about this year, as October was our best month and this month is nice and busy as well. i can't complain, even with an off year like last year, we are paid handsomely and live well....i know, real 1st-world problems, right? we can be pretty spoiled.

I totally agree.  We are certainly spoiled as a nation.  And as an individual, in spite of all the election crap going on, my life when I wake up tomorrow will be the same (at least I assume I'm waking up tomorrow) ....and it's a really great life.  

10 years ago when I had my CD franchise, an office, 3 vans working, and all other shoot that goes along with that business model, if you would have said, "In 10 years you will be working as a one man band - actually doing all the carpet cleaning yourself - and you will be HAPPY" I'd have said no way, that's crazy talk right there!!!!!    But that's exactly what I am - I'm happy, relatively stress free and as you said Derek, handsomely paid.

Edit: I didn't type "shoot" but I guess this website wants me to not say some words, just like my mom does.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Barry-QDCC's post:
  • Derek
Reply }}
Thanks given by: Derek
Is the drop in per job averages, number of jobs worked or a combination of the two?

1 X's Orbot, Windsor & Sanitare Vacs, Multisprayer, Oreck Orbitor, Stepson, BrushEncap (TM4) CRB  
Reply }}
Thanks given by:
(11-08-2016, 01:06 AM)Barry-QDCC Wrote: Well, your jumping the gun a bit as there's still 2 months to go and they can be very busy months...or not....who knows?   Years ago I could depend on Oct/Nov/Dec to be big months every year but for the last 5-6 I haven't seen that happen.

2013 has been my best year so far as an Independent with drop in revenue in 2014 and then more drop in 2015.  This year I'll beat 2015 and I might beat 2014.  I'll not beat 2013.  Maybe next year???? Huh

I wrote 'almost'....geez.

Reply }}
Thanks given by:
(11-10-2016, 03:33 AM)thecleaningdude Wrote: Is the drop in per job averages, number of jobs worked or a combination of the two?

number of jobs worked for me.
Currently retired from HWE; VLM only. Commercial Only...well except for the occasional resi job every few weeks.

The tools I use or have on the van ... in order from most used, to least used:  Dyson ; 19" Cimex ; Multi-Sprayer ; Orbot ; Oreck-Orbiter ; Hoover-Conquest ; Cyclo Polisher ; DryPod ; 20" Whittaker Trio.
Reply }}
Thanks given by:
(11-10-2016, 03:33 AM)thecleaningdude Wrote: Is the drop in per job averages, number of jobs worked or a combination of the two?

2013 - 2014 - and 2016 so far have all had about the same job average - within $4 per job.

2015- the year that was the worst total revenue had a job average of nearly $25 MORE than the other 3 years.    The number of jobs dropped pretty significantly.  Why?  I had decided to RAISE my prices towards the last part of 2014.  My minimum went from $100 to $120 - for 3 rooms.  That accounted for the job average raise.

Most people say, " Hey great your making more money per job and working less!"  We all have also heard, "hey your busy you need to raise your prices!" Problem was that I really got the feeling I had priced myself out of the market here - yeah I know it was only $20 but that's the feeling I got.  I felt like I got a more than normal "okay thanks for the price quote, I'll talk to my husband and get back to you"calls.  And we all know what that response generally means.

so yeah, more money per job BUT way less jobs booked.

I'm not calling anyone a liar but I've read on other forums about companies that average $600+ per job, and all I can say is I hope they get down on their knees every night and say a prayer to the carpet cleaning gods for that blessing.  So it kinda blows my mind that raising my price $20 affects me that much.  I do live in an area that every once in a while some article comes out mentioning this area as being one of the hardest hit economy wise.  ehh,, I guess so.  

At the beginning of this year I rolled back my prices (at least my mimimum -raised alot of others such as upholstery, tile, per urine, took away a free hall offer) and those "I gotta check with someone before I book" calls have been reduced.

Thus far this year I've done 31 jobs more than all of 2015.  Total revenue is exactly the same today with 7 more weeks to go in the year.  But like I said job average is down $25.  Pick your poison I guess.  

I've really been concentrating on upgrading my website and other social media and starting more heavily of SEO work.  I'm looking to increase job count by about 25 % and I'll be really happy.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Barry-QDCC's post:
  • Derek
Reply }}
Thanks given by: Derek
(11-10-2016, 03:34 AM)thecleaningdude Wrote:
(11-08-2016, 01:06 AM)Barry-QDCC Wrote: Well, your jumping the gun a bit as there's still 2 months to go and they can be very busy months...or not....who knows?   Years ago I could depend on Oct/Nov/Dec to be big months every year but for the last 5-6 I haven't seen that happen.

Alright, alright!!!!   BUT YOU HAVEN'T EVEN ANSWERED YOUR OWN QUESTION YET!!
Reply }}
Thanks given by:
those averaging $600 are either mostly/all CGD like me or else they likely work in higher-end resi areas. good on you for lowering your price when you saw the need for it. no need to explain why to other ppl on the internet! Good Job

Reply }}
Thanks given by:
(11-10-2016, 04:46 PM)Barry-QDCC Wrote:
(11-10-2016, 03:34 AM)thecleaningdude Wrote:

Alright, alright!!!!   BUT YOU HAVEN'T EVEN ANSWERED YOUR OWN QUESTION YET!!

I'm not cleaning nearly as much these days by a long shot....but working harder than ever :p

Reply }}
Thanks given by: