Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Sour Smell?
This place is dead so I'm not even sure this is worth posting.  I'm sad it is dead here because this was one of the main places I got valuable information about VLM carpet cleaning, and that was after almost 19 years of doing VLM the Chem-Dry way. It's truly a loss of an asset of a valuable knowledge base.  In any case here goes.....

Cleaned a home 2 days ago. Nothing remarkable about it.  Not particularly dirty.  A few spots. No animal problems.  I prevac-ed, sprayed with EG @6 oz - H2O2@4 oz. (My standard mixture rate)   Agitated, padded and groomed.  Seemingly no problems.

The owner called me last night and left a VM.  After calling her twice I finally caught her tonight.  Her complaint was that a "sour smell" developed after I left and remained although carpet was dry in just a hour or two.  She said several visitors noticed it too.  She also complained that it looked not completely clean like is did when they've had it cleaned in the past by other companies.  Then she mentioned that they actually had another carpet cleaner come in today and re-clean.  No problems after today's cleaning.

Of course first thing I said after saying sorry there was a problem was I wish I would have had a chance to come in and look, smell and try to fix the problem.  I went thru the litany of questions and have no idea what the problem was.  I ended up telling her I'd refund half the money I charged although as I typed this I'm a bit pissed at myself for not first making her understand I don't refund anything if I don't get a chance to look at the problem at least.   But I didn't so that is on me.

Like I told her, I honestly can not even remember the last time I've had anyone call and complain.  I realize, yes, some unhappy customers never call but I'm pretty confident in my cleaning abilities.  25 -5 star YELP reviews agree with that assessment.

Anyone got any ideas what could have caused the sour smell?
Reply }}
Thanks given by:
(04-07-2017, 08:18 PM)Barry-QDCC Wrote: This place is dead so I'm not even sure this is worth posting.  I'm sad it is dead here because this was one of the main places I got valuable information about VLM carpet cleaning, and that was after almost 19 years of doing VLM the Chem-Dry way. It's truly a loss of an asset of a valuable knowledge base.  In any case here goes.....

Cleaned a home 2 days ago. Nothing remarkable about it.  Not particularly dirty.  A few spots. No animal problems.  I prevac-ed, sprayed with EG @6 oz - H2O2@4 oz. (My standard mixture rate)   Agitated, padded and groomed.  Seemingly no problems.

The owner called me last night and left a VM.  After calling her twice I finally caught her tonight.  Her complaint was that a "sour smell" developed after I left and remained although carpet was dry in just a hour or two.  She said several visitors noticed it too.  She also complained that it looked not completely clean like is did when they've had it cleaned in the past by other companies.  Then she mentioned that they actually had another carpet cleaner come in today and re-clean.  No problems after today's cleaning.

Of course first thing I said after saying sorry there was a problem was I wish I would have had a chance to come in and look, smell and try to fix the problem.  I went thru the litany of questions and have no idea what the problem was.  I ended up telling her I'd refund half the money I charged although as I typed this I'm a bit pissed at myself for not first making her understand I don't refund anything if I don't get a chance to look at the problem at least.   But I didn't so that is on me.

Like I told her, I honestly can not even remember the last time I've had anyone call and complain.  I realize, yes, some unhappy customers never call but I'm pretty confident in my cleaning abilities.  25 -5 star YELP reviews agree with that assessment.

Anyone got any ideas what could have caused the sour smell?

Why wouldn't the customer wait for you to make a return visit prior to having the carpets re-cleaned? Sour smell? 

Sorry, something doesn't sound right. She may have been angling to get a discount after the fact. 

Congrats on 25 reviews!
I'm just trying to hack my way to glory.

Get Encapsulation Pads & More!

1 X's Orbot, Windsor & Sanitare Vacs, Multisprayer, Oreck Orbitor, Stepson, BrushEncap (TM4) CRB  
Reply }}
Thanks given by: Barry-QDCC
Yeah, I totally screwed the pooch with the way I handled it. Oh well, I sent her the check and I'm moving on - with resolve to not be so agreeable next time in that same situation.

And BTW - got my 26th 5 star review yesterday!! Big Grin
Reply }}
Thanks given by: thecleaningdude
Gotta agree with Clean Dude, something smells here & I doubt it was your process.

Believe it or not, but there are many people out there just waiting to take advantage of others.

I cannot believe that if a client was not happy about a service, in this day & age, that they would not complain bitterly & tell you to get back & rectify the problem.

As you say, chalk it up to experience & move on.

You have not made a mistake, but learned a lesson that you won't forget.

Take care.

Angel
Reply }}
Thanks given by: Barry-QDCC , thecleaningdude
I would have tried to handle it different.

We learn the most from our failures.  --- We learn the most from our failures.  I would have done everything possible to get over to see her after her call and before the other cleaner----if that is really true---made it over.

I also would have refunded the whole thing----but done it in person after I inspected it.  I want to know if she was just trying to get her money back.  I don't think she had another cleaner come by.
Quality means doing it right when no one is looking...

Henry Ford
Reply }}
Thanks given by: