Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Nightmare Estimate
I just did an estimate on a 3 1/2 year old house that has a beige nylon carpet that has never been clean. There is not one room in the house that doesn't have multiple soiled and protein stains in it. The carpet is approximately 2500 square feet and it's the worse I have seen so far. This is an excellent job for Peroxcellent and it will take me about 4 hours to complete. I quoted the customer $520.00 for the whole job. I know this is very cheap but with the hungry competition in my area, if I want to stay busy sometimes I must discount the work. The lady is going to confirm if she wants it done by tomorrow, so I will be posting before and after pictures for sure if I win the bid.

I am almost tempted to take on this job just to test my skills and equipment. How many of you have had something similar to this?
Danny Guerra
All Green Floor & Carpet Care
Carpet Cleaning Palmdale Ca
www.allgreencare.com
https://www.youtube.com/user/allgreencare

“Optimists are those who go after Moby dick in a row boat with a bucket of tarter sauce.” Zig Ziglar

Reply }}
Thanks given by:
It is all I do.

Not sure how I got here... but here is where I got.

Peroxcellent and red at 2-4 oz per gallon will knock it out.
Reply }}
Thanks given by:
Doesn't seem like much of a nightmare to me. Just set your client's expectations and knock it out! Once you've exceeded their expectations, they can become your best mouthpiece. Just don't forget to take your camera, a jug of Powerade, and plenty of glads!
Reply }}
Thanks given by:
Man...Marty would have to do 50 rooms to get that price.
Big Grin

Confidence is first....sounds like you have that.

I like a challenge meeself.

Go getem
Reply }}
Thanks given by:
Danny

get your confidence up! :>)

you have the tools
you have the skills
you can do this - & do it very well.

let dwell times be your friend! (& CRB)

Con

too old to 'look forward' to these types of challenges. But glad I have a bazillion toys to deal with whatever comes my way.
Reply }}
Thanks given by:
4.5 hours of work and $500? What's wrong with that?

Hey man, this isn't ICS. No need to fake concern over a price like that.

Far as I can tell, the only delusional thinking that goes on around here involves methods, not pricing.
Reply }}
Thanks given by:
If that's one man that's $130.00 an hour with no TM......you better wear a mask at that rate. Tongue
You never rolled in the hay
Ya never thrown it in four wheel
Climb on up in here, girl
Let me show ya how country feels

"How Country Feels" Randy Houser

Reply }}
Thanks given by:
(05-12-2011, 08:02 AM)Pigchip Wrote: 4.5 hours of work and $500? What's wrong with that?

Hey man, this isn't ICS. No need to fake concern over a price like that.

Far as I can tell, the only delusional thinking that goes on around here involves methods, not pricing.

Had me re-thinking my pricing model because I rarely charge in the $500s for a residential job and I have a client base that includes very high end properties. I've also never spent more that 4 hrs on a residential (carpet only) job either...
Reply }}
Thanks given by:
Yeah, I've been right around the $300.00 range lately.

LA is a higher priced area for sure but still.

My average isn't $300.00 over all but my higher end work is right at about that.

If you're getting $500.00, you're doing well. Esp at those time frames.

My goal as a TMer was $1000.00 per day on my one truck with my 65 year old dad "helping". I could pull that off.

Not sure if I could keep up with that now....I need to charge more. lol
Reply }}
Thanks given by:
So Danny, did you get the job?

Larry Galler
Small Business Greatness Coach
http://www.oneyeartogreatness.com
Reply }}
Thanks given by:
(05-14-2011, 02:17 PM)Larry Galler Wrote: So Danny, did you get the job?

Larry Galler
Small Business Greatness Coach
http://www.oneyeartogreatness.com

I did get the job and it is scheduled for next Saturday. I also want to let everyone know that eventhough I live in Los Angeles county, my average job is around $200.00. The reason I am charging this customer a little more is because of the size and condition of the carpet.

Danny Guerra
www.allgreencare.com

“Optimists are those who go after Moby dick in a row boat with a bucket of tarter sauce.” Zig Ziglar

Reply }}
Thanks given by:
(05-11-2011, 05:32 PM)dnny777 Wrote: I just did an estimate on a 3 1/2 year old house that has a beige nylon carpet that has never been clean. There is not one room in the house that doesn't have multiple soiled and protein stains in it. The carpet is approximately 2500 square feet and it's the worse I have seen so far. This is an excellent job for Peroxcellent and it will take me about 4 hours to complete. I quoted the customer $520.00 for the whole job. I know this is very cheap but with the hungry competition in my area, if I want to stay busy sometimes I must discount the work. The lady is going to confirm if she wants it done by tomorrow, so I will be posting before and after pictures for sure if I win the bid.

I am almost tempted to take on this job just to test my skills and equipment. How many of you have had something similar to this?
Back when I was a newbie (ha ha last year) My real estate contact gave me a house to do over 5k in carpeting and totally trashed.
Took me over 10 hours to do I charged him 577.00 Yes it took me over a whole work day but the experience was worth every penny that I may have lost.

Reply }}
Thanks given by:
(05-15-2011, 05:58 PM)bigchuckie Wrote:
(05-11-2011, 05:32 PM)dnny777 Wrote: I just did an estimate on a 3 1/2 year old house that has a beige nylon carpet that has never been clean. There is not one room in the house that doesn't have multiple soiled and protein stains in it. The carpet is approximately 2500 square feet and it's the worse I have seen so far. This is an excellent job for Peroxcellent and it will take me about 4 hours to complete. I quoted the customer $520.00 for the whole job. I know this is very cheap but with the hungry competition in my area, if I want to stay busy sometimes I must discount the work. The lady is going to confirm if she wants it done by tomorrow, so I will be posting before and after pictures for sure if I win the bid.

Back when I was a newbie (ha ha last year) My real estate contact gave me a house to do over 5k in carpeting and totally trashed.
Took me over 10 hours to do I charged him 577.00 Yes it took me over a whole work day but the experience was worth every penny that I may have lost.

Chuckie,
If you are happy making $57 per hour than that is great. I value my time and I do have a $75 per hour minimum. I did inform my customer that he had 3 1/2 years of never cleaning their carpet. Average the $520 that I am charging and it averages to less than $150 per year, if he would of clean his carpet on a yearly schedule, $150 is not bad for 2500 sq. ft.
Danny Guerra
www.allgreencare.com

Reply }}
Thanks given by:
If I averaged 57 bucks and hour, 8 hours a day, 5 days a week 50 weeks a year, I'd be damned happy.

Although I often make three times that in any given hour.

so my minimum is mainly in my head.....too.

Reply }}
Thanks given by:
(05-15-2011, 09:57 PM)C Spot Stop Wrote: If I averaged 57 bucks and hour, 8 hours a day, 5 days a week 50 weeks a year, I'd be damned happy.

Down time kills the hourly average. That's why so many people only give the average per hour actually cleaning.

I prefer to look at it by daily/weekly amounts. Someone on another board mentioned they did apartments in a college town for an average of $68, folks were down on it. Then he mentioned he did 4200 apartments last year. Nobody made a comment after that.

But, yeah, let me make $100,000 a year and I'm happy.
Reply }}
Thanks given by:
(05-15-2011, 10:37 PM)grimel Wrote:
(05-15-2011, 09:57 PM)C Spot Stop Wrote: If I averaged 57 bucks and hour, 8 hours a day, 5 days a week 50 weeks a year, I'd be damned happy.

Down time kills the hourly average. That's why so many people only give the average per hour actually cleaning.

I prefer to look at it by daily/weekly amounts. Someone on another board mentioned they did apartments in a college town for an average of $68, folks were down on it. Then he mentioned he did 4200 apartments last year. Nobody made a comment after that.

But, yeah, let me make $100,000 a year and I'm happy.

Are you kidding me, that's over $300 K a year!!! Note to the wise, some board members tend to over exagerate the truth, don't believe everything you read. Yikes
Danny Guerra
www.allgreencare.com

Reply }}
Thanks given by:
(05-15-2011, 10:50 PM)dnny777 Wrote: Are you kidding me, that's over $300 K a year!!! Note to the wise, some board members tend to over exagerate the truth, don't believe everything you read. Yikes

Some people have more than one or two crews. I bid on the local college between semester cleans this year. Was just a bit high. 100,000 sq ft in 10 days (the rooms had to repaired and cleaned BEFORE the carpet was started in that 10 day period). Had zero intentions of trying it by myself. With a major college and a couple minor colleges in a town, 4200 wouldn't be out of line if that was your business model. If I really wanted to push apartments, 2000 wouldn't be overly hard to land. Can't imagine wanting to clean 2000 in one year as I get ready for my 3rd rental house in 8 days.
Reply }}
Thanks given by:
We had a salesman for several months and he hit apartments hard.

Landed a few yadda yadda... but then, as the story goes, they all paid very late, bitched about the price even though everyone had agreed to it, and then changed managers and the entire process started over.

My over-sized hat is off to anyone going after apartments.

I do not know if it my particular area or if apartments are that way....but they sort of suck for me.

Yet, I still do the apartments a local helicopter school owns for their students. A whopping total of 20-22 something like that.

Reply }}
Thanks given by:
When you first start out you go after apartments and restaurants.

Took an average of 1 hour to do one apartment with 6 trips for set ups and take downs.

Wore me out and my machine.

Now I think I know better?

Reply }}
Thanks given by:
Unless you have crews to do the apts, I would say no...I would almost say no anyway.

Apt, restaurants etc should be fill in work for the hole in the schedule...but it doesn't always work like that.

I like residential because the hourly is always more....and it's good to have a higher hourly and work less hours in by book.

The only apts I do in the Dallas area are for the occupants. They pay regular price. Prop mngrs are to savvy and will low ball everytime....and I mean "ball" their eyes out if they don't get it their way. Rolleyes

Reply }}
Thanks given by: