Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Purple hull field peas!
I wuz just cleaning at a house where the lady was boiling some purple hull field peas, fresh picked from her garden, and baking some corn bread in the oven.

I am so hungry now that I can't think straight!

The witch never offered any!!!
Reply }}
Thanks given by:
You work?
Brent

Keep it Clean, Keep it Longer.
Reply }}
Thanks given by:
oOOOh wEEEE!

pOpA sANg bASS , mOMMa sANg tEnoR n' mE AND bABy jOINeD rIGHt IN tHAR!
Reply }}
Thanks given by:
(06-28-2011, 06:21 PM)Jimmy Wrote: oOOOh wEEEE!

pOpA sANg bASS , mOMMa sANg tEnoR n' mE AND bABy jOINeD rIGHt IN tHAR!

You musta got tired of watchin me.

I hardly ever have clue what you are trying to say, and it is less often it really matters.

go put the binoculars, gun and whiskey down before you get hurt.
Reply }}
Thanks given by:
My radar is on and you are being tracked as we speak.

I will get you
Reply }}
Thanks given by:
[Image: purplehull-peas.jpg]

Never heard of them, southern thing? Peas and Cornbread, Porkchop you'll eat just anything won't you?

Although Crackerbarrel has decent cornbread or maybe I'm just hungry waiting for my meal to arrive. ?
You never rolled in the hay
Ya never thrown it in four wheel
Climb on up in here, girl
Let me show ya how country feels

"How Country Feels" Randy Houser

Reply }}
Thanks given by:
Sometimes, during the harvesting season, my wife will make home made cornbread (hers is the absolute best in the world) and peas for lunch. She will also have some fresh picked tomatoes for me.

Some of the best eating you can get!
Reply }}
Thanks given by:
I love tomato's, peas are not bad but I prefer pea pods over just plain peas.

Just not sure of the peas and cornbread combination? Never heard of that.

Reply }}
Thanks given by:
My parents both grew up on farms.

Their families both were farmers. Mother- Eufala AL Dad-Clanton AL

Both families are now mostly dead but as a kid I'd go to each farm..over the years and I have yet to taste anything close to home cooked cornbread with ANY veggie grown from either side.

NOTHING compares to home grown veggies and the way each cooks his/her own cornbread.

Not sure I ever tasted a purple hulled field pea....but if it was grown in Alabama and the grower is cooking cornbread, res damned sure it is a freaking delight.

Alabama girls can cook a horse turd and you'd think it was steak.
Reply }}
Thanks given by:
Don't ever marry a girl from Pa...they'll cook you a steak & you'll think it was a horse turd....

The 1st Thanksgiving turkey we had, she cooked it for about 6 hours, and then took it out of the oven because the little button hadn't popped out. The outside was hard as a brick,the inside still frozen. She hadn't thawed the turkey, and hadn't taken the neck or giblet bag out, either. She didn't know that the bag was inside the bird

Reply }}
Thanks given by:
Quote:Alabama girls can cook a horse turd and you'd think it was steak.
Well that explains Porkchops breath, I always wondered about that. Tongue

Thanks Phil!

Reply }}
Thanks given by:
That is not it.

The water in S Al has turds in it. That is because it goes through Birmingham.
Reply }}
Thanks given by:
My Dad grew up during the depression. In early 1930, my grandfather got mad at U.S. Steel because they cut his wages. So, he quit. (Early in the depression, I might add.) My Dad tells the story that he was in the front yard of their house in B'Ham playing when his uncle came rolling up in a truck and told my grandmother to "cool the stove down" and pack up. Granddad said they were moving. Grandmother knew nothing about it until that afternoon.

They moved back to the farm, which was my great grandfathers place in Clanton. He had several hundred acres right on Hwy 31., which was the main highway running from Mobile, through Montgomery, to B'Ham and all points north. My grandfater farmed and raised cattle for the duration of the depression. After WW II, U.S. Steel hired him back at the wage he thought he was worth all along.

My Dad tells me that they had a well dug on their property that never ran dry, even during the drought of 34, and he never remembers ever knowing he was poor. He said one of his jobs as a kid was to keep the smoke house fire burning. He said he can remember seeing whole families, with everything they owned on their backs, walking north to B'Ham looking for work. He said that almost everyone who came by would come to their house for food, and that my great grandmother would always have biscuits, cornbread and some kind of meat ready to hand out. Dad said he thinks they must have had some kind of hobo mark on their mailbox.

I love hearing stories about that time.

Reply }}
Thanks given by:
Sounds like your family was good people.

What happened to you? Tongue

Reply }}
Thanks given by:
My Dad left Clanton to see the world. Saw Florida and a shovel and had seen enough.

My aunt still lives there but she is the youngest of three siblings...75, I think.

Dad is 84-5 or 6, the math gets hard with my shoes on. Unlce B was the oldest and is gone.

My Dads dad died when my dad was 7. TB killed him. Dad tells of watching his father plow with a fever in June wearing a trench coat and shivering. In the sun.

Grandma had a Garden and a cow. Yet she fed all three kids on what she grew or picked or shot. she turned down handouts. although she taught sunday school there in Clanton.

My Dad sucks at cooking but that is because he hates to follow directions. Smile

Momma cooks like her Step Momma taught her (her dad died when she was young too)

Mom had 7 or 8 siblings and all were good cooks. So she can whip up something...but it takes an hour. And whatever it is, you can smell it for miles.

My friends as a kid were always telling me how awesome ta cooking my Mom was. We had moved to the Canal Zone were kids knew nothing about the issues above. So their mommas use microwaves and stuff in cardboard boxes. Yeah, Momma is a way better cook than that crap. You should try her horse turds.
Reply }}
Thanks given by:
I'v had Purple Hull peas in my garden for the past few years, except this year... just too busy.

My wife's cornbread is BETTER than Marty's wife's! I guarontee it, cuz she is from Louisiana.

Jut like MartyPants, I love Purple Hull peas, good cornbread and homegrown maters. yummmmhappy
[Image: LogoSmall.jpg]
Products that make you a HERO in your customer's eyes!Rdance
Reply }}
Thanks given by:
You're so pussywhipped you would think your wife's turds were cornbread.

You certainly thought Shirley's were!

clap
Reply }}
Thanks given by:
Quote:You're so pussywhipped you would think your wife's turds were cornbread.

You certainly thought Shirley's were!
Yikes
Who is Shirley?

Reply }}
Thanks given by:
I just pulled a muscle.
Reply }}
Thanks given by:
Mary, X-wifes do not count.... except maybe their AlleyMoanie $$$. I will get you
[Image: LogoSmall.jpg]
Products that make you a HERO in your customer's eyes!Rdance
Reply }}
Thanks given by: