Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Locating the urine!
So I am doing a job tomorrow for a customer that picked up a stray dog. She has a handful of urine spots upstairs that smell, but she says you can not see where they are located.

I need to be able to locate the urine spots. I have studied a little bit on using black lights , but have not tried it. Where can I get a black light without ordering one off the internet (doing the job tomorrow). How dark do I need to get the area b/f black light works? What is the charge for a service like this?

Thanks in advance for the helpBig Grin
Reply }}
Thanks given by:
I have had at least 10 different models of blacklights. I would only be considering the Cobb blacklight from Cobb supply for $239. It works OK during the day (the only one that ever has) & phenominal in early eveing type conditions. Where it still doesnt do it is in sunny windows. Cheaper models exist, but then you get more & more evening & after dark appts.

I would try to put off the appointment until it arrives.

Con
Reply }}
Thanks given by:
If you're in a crunch, start checking out your local pet supply shops. I bought a small one at a pet shop a while back, but it has to be DARK to use it. I think I payed about $15 for it, but you get what you pay for. I also bought some yellow lensed safety glasses from Home Depot to use with it. I think you can see the urine spots easier using the glasses.

I would take Con's advise and order a good one. If you ordered today, you could probably have it by the end of the week.

As for what to charge....I think some here charge $100 or something to do the black light inspection, and then if the customer books the job with you, then that $100 goes towards the cleaning. You'd probably want to use a product like Pee Radicator I charge $30 per RTU gallon.

Hope that helps.
Brent

Keep it Clean, Keep it Longer.
Reply }}
Thanks given by:
Hey Steve - I've got some kind of technical glitch when I try to view posts on my thread. I can see that people have posted but I can't view until I post a new reply?Undecided
Reply }}
Thanks given by:
That helps tremendously - thanks guys.
Reply }}
Thanks given by:
I purchased Cobb's UV Light upon the recommendation of others. One of the best pieces of advice I have received over the internet. Here are some pics:

I picked up these glasses from HomeDepot for $10/pair...I got 3 pairs...1 for me and 2 for clients. Protects the eyes, shows urine even better during daylight and adds a level of professionalism. Helpful when they cant see 20 spots and you want to charge for them....Big Grin
[Image: DSC03609Small.jpg]

This pic was taken with the UV glasses over the camera lens...this is exactly what your eyes would see when wearing them...
[Image: withglasses4.jpg]

I use white sidewalk chalk to mark the areas to treat. It cleans right up after waterclawing...
[Image: chalked3.jpg]

This is the extent of this one job....and it was all verified by the client.....
[Image: chalked4.jpg]
Reply }}
Thanks given by:
How do you charge for that work Marc?

I hate urine mostly because I don't feel like we are effective enough.

We should probably buy the light and get on the piss bandwagon. Undecided
You never rolled in the hay
Ya never thrown it in four wheel
Climb on up in here, girl
Let me show ya how country feels

"How Country Feels" Randy Houser

Reply }}
Thanks given by:
(09-13-2011, 02:21 PM)Richardc Wrote: How do you charge for that work Marc?

I hate urine mostly because I don't feel like we are effective enough.

We should probably buy the light and get on the piss bandwagon. Undecided

Wow! I can't believe you're not! There's a lot of money in it. It's a very emotional purchase. When people have pet odors, it actually affects their quality of life.

And cleaners that clean it right I believe are few and far between. Most just squirt some deodorizer and collect the check.

Reply }}
Thanks given by:
Yea that's us. Reluctantly doing urine work since we have no real solution to the problem. I ordered the light. Now what else do I need?

Do you charge for inspections?

Reply }}
Thanks given by:
(09-13-2011, 09:14 PM)Richardc Wrote: Yea that's us. Reluctantly doing urine work since we have no real solution to the problem. I ordered the light. Now what else do I need?

Do you charge for inspections?

sure do. I'm not going to inspect and show a customer where the piss is for free so they can try and do the job themselves, or have Fred from down the street do it.

If the can see that you're professional about it, they'll pay to have the job done right. You just spent $250 on a flashlight, you gotta' get your money back out of it.
Brent

Keep it Clean, Keep it Longer.
Reply }}
Thanks given by:
Hi Richard

Yes we do a fair chunk of urine issues, we have a cob light in each truck as well as in shop for area rugs. We charge a 'temp fee' of $35 for the inspection, applied toward the job. Seldom dont get the job. We calculate how many gal of RTU @ $30/gal applied as well. sometimes it is surface application & soemtimes 2 -3 days ahead saturating underlay , then returning for cleaning.... and people pay the price all the time. We use Pee Be gone & cat off most of the time - with real good success.

Con
Reply }}
Thanks given by:
Con,

Is Pee Be Gone similar to Pee Radicator?
Reply }}
Thanks given by:
Great pictures Marcthanks
Reply }}
Thanks given by:
Most urine jobs I do the customer refuses to believe there is urine in the carpet. LOL

THEN they think it will clean right up with a regular cleaning. Yikes

Some people just like to live in their own urine saturated world. Sad

Maybe I should get a light.

Where's the nearest black light poster shop....The mall I bet. Tongue
Reply }}
Thanks given by:
SC, yes a direct cousin

Con
Reply }}
Thanks given by:
Thanks guys I'm sure I'll have more questions as we venture into the urine. awwwman

Reply }}
Thanks given by:
Richard, it would be my opinion that you get at least 1 tech that really wants to get into the urine thing as your main dude. I wish I could say that urine is always easy & always successful... The more of it you understand - the easier it will be. I also believe that one needs more fibre knowledge about how each one responds differently to urine & remediation work.

Con
Reply }}
Thanks given by:
Thanks Con, that's a great suggestion. I have a nephew that would be a good choice for this and then once he knows it thorougly he can train the others.

Reply }}
Thanks given by: