Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What is the NUMBER ONE secret to sucessful marketing?
Many years ago I got some marketing information from a company called "Nuway Systems". I don't think they are around anymore but they did have some great info and advice.

Here is some info from them that helped me over the years. I hope some of you will find use of it too.

The NUMBER ONE SECRET to successful marketing…. The one thing that when done right will overcome a plethora of other marketing goofs—The #1 Secret is…NOT—

1. Coming up with a Unique Selling Proposition for your product or service. A Unique Selling Proposition tells the world why they should buy from you and not your competition. Your USP sets the tone for the type of company you want to build and the kind of client you want to attract. (See the newsletter archive for an in depth discussion on USPs.) Your USP is vital to your marketing strategy and success—but it’s not the #1 Secret…

2. Matching your USP to your target market is not the #1 Secret either. Yes, tweaking your USP so it appeals to the exact market you want to attract is vital. After all, a well-written USP will stop your target market in their tracks and get them to ask, "How do you do that?" And once you get your market curious about your product or service you are well on your way to a sale. It’s a given, matching the wording of your USP to your market is vital to your marketing success—but it’s not the #1 Secret…

3. Targeting the right market may seem like a likely candidate for the #1 Secret—but, once again, this isn’t it. Of course you’ve got to target the right market. You’d be doomed if you tried to sell carpet cleaning to apartment tenants, pet odor services to goldfish owners, or upscale upholstery cleaning services to folks who keep their finest furniture on the front porch. While selecting the right market is vital to your marketing success—it’s still not the #1 Secret…

4. Fabulously written and designed advertising must be the #1 Secret, right? Wrong! It’s no secret that great copy based on the right USP, a benefit-driven offer, a motivating call to action, and an attractive design all add up to a compelling marketing piece that when delivered to the right market at the right time is sure to sell. However, the best marketing in the world won’t get great results unless you use the #1 Secret. In fact, your marketing pieces can fall short of perfect in all other areas and still succeed if you put the #1 Secret to work for you.

Okay, if creating a fabulous marketing piece, matching the right message, to the right market, at the right time, and using the right vehicle to deliver that message is not the #1 Secret—then what is it?

The Number One Secret is that you don’t always have to match the perfect message to the perfect market at the right time and with the right vehicle! You don’t have to hit a home run every time you step up to the marketing plate. The Number One Secret to successful marketing is to CONSISTENTLY MARKET! Market, Market, and then Market Some More!

Are you guilty of any of the following…?

You’re busy, so marketing gets knocked to the back burner until one day, guess what? You’re wondering why you are no longer busy. Hmm, must be time to do some marketing, right? …

You spend a lot of time in a place called Someday Isle. You know the place, it’s where you hear things like, "Someday I’ll send out client reminder cards," or "Someday I’ll start sending out newsletters," or "Someday I’ll start marketing to that affluent neighborhood across town." Do you have a Someday I’ll list?

You give up too early. You send one post card, one flyer, one newsletter, one whatever, and when your phone doesn’t ring non stop with business you give up. Successful marketers analyze why something didn’t work and then try again, and again, and again…

How do you become consistent?

To become consistent you have got to get off the marketing roller coaster. You can’t market heavy, get busy, not market at all, slow down, and then try to pick up where you left off. Roller-coaster marketing keeps you mired in the muck among your competitors. Your message never becomes clear to the market you are trying to reach and sell.

Consistency comes from planning and commitment. Plan your marketing campaigns for a year in advance, and then commit to working your plan. Simple? Yes! Easy? NO! While it takes effort to build your business with consistent marketing the rewards are worthwhile.

As promised at the beginning of this article, you can overcome a plethora of marketing goofs if you put the Number One Secret to work for you—CONSISTENCY! You don’t have to be the best copywriter, a top-notch graphic designer, or a Madison Avenue advertising genius; you just need to be consistent in your efforts to get your message in front of your clients and prospects.

Reply }}
Thanks given by:
The shotgun approach, if done consistently, and over long periods of time works. My father-in-law taught me that years ago. Unfortunately, he didn't give me the money necessary to actually DO it.
Reply }}
Thanks given by:
Hey Steve, very interesting thread. Sometime one forgets what to
do. Thank you.
Reply }}
Thanks given by:
Always smile and give out a card.

Somedays my face hurts because it's not my nature to smile and be friendly.

Big Grin
Reply }}
Thanks given by:
Big Grin 
20 business cards a day --- the minimum goal is to talk with 20 people a day and introduce you and your service. That's 20 NEW people a day. Do your best to never lose contact with anyone. Make notes, who they are, their family is made up how many kids, what did they bring up that they like to talk about, vacation plans etc. Got their address? Send them a postcard once in a while from somewhere you have gone.

It worked in insurance --- it worked in MLM --- it works in this business as well. [Image: livepreview2.jpg]
Reply }}
Thanks given by:
(10-20-2010, 12:13 PM)VLMCCA Wrote: 20 business cards a day --- the minimum goal is to talk with 20 people a day and introduce you and your service. That's 20 NEW people a day. Do your best to never lose contact with anyone. Make notes, who they are, their family is made up how many kids, what did they bring up that they like to talk about, vacation plans etc. Got their address? Send them a postcard once in a while from somewhere you have gone.

It worked in insurance --- it worked in MLM --- it works in this business as well. [Image: livepreview2.jpg]

Great advice Mike... if most would only FOLLOW it they would never be slow! clap
Reply }}
Thanks given by:
My answer would simply be

"Build relationships & serve"

(That would be 24/7 in whatever part of your day you are in. Be that at a restaurant with wife or taking your kid to soccer - BE the person that they can trust. It only takes a couple screwups on that to earn the moniker of "not trustworthy". Earn their trust and most other issues all run away. But your total being & heart have to be trustworthy from inside to the outside.

It starts with a changed heart IMO

Con
Reply }}
Thanks given by:
Heys guys I have to say it again very nice thread! Now we (I) have
to follow it. I'm the one who says i don't have the time. LOL it's
just an excuse.crying
Reply }}
Thanks given by:
Know your market...and market to that.

Sending your message to ears that won't hear and eyes that won't see are the wallets that won't open.Cool
Reply }}
Thanks given by:
I can only use pictures to advertise to my market.
Reply }}
Thanks given by:
Pictures work great sMarty, just so long as yous ain't in umm.
Tongue
You never rolled in the hay
Ya never thrown it in four wheel
Climb on up in here, girl
Let me show ya how country feels

"How Country Feels" Randy Houser

Reply }}
Thanks given by:
(11-08-2010, 08:20 PM)Richardc Wrote: Pictures work great sMarty, just so long as yous ain't in umm.
Tongue

Nahhh....he can be that "other" company in his marketing.
Reply }}
Thanks given by:
[Image: Marty.jpg]

Reply }}
Thanks given by:
(10-20-2010, 12:13 PM)VLMCCA Wrote: 20 business cards a day --- the minimum goal is to talk with 20 people a day and introduce you and your service. That's 20 NEW people a day. Do your best to never lose contact with anyone. Make notes, who they are, their family is made up how many kids, what did they bring up that they like to talk about, vacation plans etc. Got their address? Send them a postcard once in a while from somewhere you have gone.

Thanks Mike,I'll start passing out 20 a day. 100 a week. 400 a month. Have the employees to help pass them out.

carpet cleaning honolulu
Reply }}
Thanks given by:
"A man who stops advertising to save money is like a man who stops a clock to save time" -Henry Ford
Reply }}
Thanks given by:
That's a good one!

Reply }}
Thanks given by:
(11-13-2010, 10:30 AM)Richardc Wrote: That's a good one!

Why thank you sir Richard. Big Grin
Reply }}
Thanks given by:
Shouldn't Henry be thanking him instead of you? Tongue
Reply }}
Thanks given by:
(11-13-2010, 01:15 PM)Pigchip Wrote: Shouldn't Henry be thanking him instead of you? Tongue

I'm just helping Henry get the word out.

Don't you have some slop to slop?
Reply }}
Thanks given by:
(10-18-2010, 08:45 AM)Pigchip Wrote: The shotgun approach, if done consistently, and over long periods of time works. My father-in-law taught me that years ago. Unfortunately, he didn't give me the money necessary to actually DO it.

Pigwit....

We just wish they had used the Shotgun on you, not the shotgun approach.

If I hurt your feelings ---tough...
Reply }}
Thanks given by: