The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Creating default object from empty value - Line: 11 - File: inc/plugins/tapatalk.php PHP 7.4.29 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/plugins/tapatalk.php 11 errorHandler->error
/inc/class_plugins.php 38 require_once
/inc/init.php 239 pluginSystem->load
/global.php 18 require_once
/showthread.php 28 require_once

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
You're Invited to "Lunch with Larry!" Tomorrow May 11 @ 1pm Eastern
I am conducting a series of free business-building "Lunch with Larry" telephone seminars on a bi-weekly basis.

Tomorrow's "Lunch" topic:

What do Japan's Tsunami, General Motors, and the Boy Scouts have in common?

Contingency Planning

Hopefully a tsunami, earthquake, fire, tornado, or flood will never threaten you or your business but you have many other threats - a key employee leaves suddenly, your largest customer defects to a competitor, a key piece of equipment breaks causing a shutdown of production.

In the past two weeks, tornadoes in Alabama and floods along the Mississippi River have devastated many businesses, some will never reopen, others will be open for business soon. Which would you prefer?

You can either be a victim and despair as you struggle to survive or you can reach for your contingency plan and recover relatively quickly.

The key to recovery isn't luck. It's planning for contingencies. Get on the phone tomorrow, Wednesday, May 11 @ 1pm Eastern for the next FREE "Lunch with Larry" telephone seminar to discuss the steps you need to get on paper... now! It might save your business from devastation.

Connection Info:

Dial 218-632-0928 Passcode 7524#

…AND DON’T SLURP YOUR SOUP!

Reply }}
Thanks given by:
We're all just a bunch of one-horse dickheads here. Lose the van today, buy another one tomorrow.
Reply }}
Thanks given by:
Lunch with Larry better include a FREE KFC buffet or you won't find me there.

Reply }}
Thanks given by:
We have emergency preparedness kits for Management missing in action (MMIA)
for 1 day
for 1/2 week
for 1 week
for 2 week
for 1 month

open the box & pull out the file & do what it says to do. Various time frames have different people involved for different actions. All sealed envelopes with hidden data files / information & authorization letters for the various roles. These files are reviewed annually to ensure the persons responsible for helping out are still competent & able to carry out their part of the plan.

I have never been able to complete the plan should both my wife & I die in approximately the same time frame. That one has been by far the hardest.

Con
Reply }}
Thanks given by:
(05-11-2011, 01:33 AM)Con Schultz Wrote: We have emergency preparedness kits for Management missing in action (MMIA)
for 1 day
for 1/2 week
for 1 week
for 2 week
for 1 month

open the box & pull out the file & do what it says to do. Various time frames have different people involved for different actions. All sealed envelopes with hidden data files / information & authorization letters for the various roles. These files are reviewed annually to ensure the persons responsible for helping out are still competent & able to carry out their part of the plan.

I have never been able to complete the plan should both my wife & I die in approximately the same time frame. That one has been by far the hardest.

Con

Great plans Con, but Phil will now eat you alive... I can hear his wheels turning all the way up here in Tin-Us-See. Why does he always pick on you anywho?
[Image: LogoSmall.jpg]
Products that make you a HERO in your customer's eyes!Rdance
Reply }}
Thanks given by:
I pick on the people I like.

Reply }}
Thanks given by:
Con, thanks for your great answer. This is a very important topic, one that few small business owners consider until far too late.

About 50% of small businesses that lose their business records and / or backups never reopen after a fire, flood, etc. because they don't know who owes them money, they don't have accurate employee records, etc.

Think about how much time, energy, and $ you have invested in your business and how easy it is to lose it all when a couple hours of planning can get them back in business fast.

Larry Galler
Small Business Greatness Coach
http://www.oneyeartogreatness.com
Reply }}
Thanks given by:
My wife points out that my plans as I indicated are still a work in progress & not complete as yet. (this is a very difficult task to do to think about the scenarios that 'may happen') My arrogance came shining through in my post & I apologize to those who think all my ducks are in a row. Most of the duckies behave well but not quite all lined up as yet.

Sorry to have misled you all

Con
Reply }}
Thanks given by:
Con no apology needed, you're still further ahead than most of us.

We have removable hard drive backups of the server data that we switch out daily and put in a mini fire proof safe. But a fire would still be catastrophic for all the other reasons including business interuption.

We do have an Emergency Contact Numbers list with the companies we use on it. It includes local Police, Fire, Sheriff, Ambulance, Hospital, Electric Company, Gas company, Telephone, Computer Tech work, Electrician, Glass contractor, HVAC Contractor, Insurance Agent, Locksmith, Plumber, Security system.

As far as personel, missing one person would be like a cylinder miss firing, the car keeps going just not as efficently as it did. Our accountant can do payroll if needed, he does when I'm on vacation.

We probably need to put a little more thought into EPP.
You never rolled in the hay
Ya never thrown it in four wheel
Climb on up in here, girl
Let me show ya how country feels

"How Country Feels" Randy Houser

Reply }}
Thanks given by:
Richard, it sounds like you are well ahead of the game also. Congratulations!

The primary issue is that a business owner can't think through all the possible emergencies or disasters or risks out there, but the better prepared you are for some of them, the better prepared you will be for the rest.

Imagine this scenario - the door is opened by the homeowner to admit your tech who is immediately attacked by a pit bull or other dangerous dog. The tech is badly injured. The business owner is on a wilderness canoe trip outside cell phone range. What should the remaining staff do to insure the employee is properly cared for, the customer is properly cared for, and the business has the least amount of liability (hopefully zero) and still be able to service their other customers who are expecting them later that day?

If the company has thought through the scenario then standard operating procedures would be documented (or at least outlined). They would be similar if the tech were involved in a serious traffic accident or many other possible situations. The more you go through a "what if" thought process and outline procedures, the easier it will become for your companies to survive emergencies and disasters.

It looks like Richard and Con are pretty well prepared (and this is always a "work in progress"). How about the rest of you?

Larry Galler
Small Business Greatness Coach
http://www.oneyeartogreatness.com
Reply }}
Thanks given by:
Swell.

Now I have this to worry about too.

Screw it. I am closing.
Reply }}
Thanks given by:
Closing, well that counts as a plan doesn't it? Tongue

Phil I've been thinking I could help you out with the sharpening business. I can get the scissors (from the hot chic's) and take them to you out to the truck while you sharpen them and then I return them (to the hot chic's). It will speed up the process and I'd work cheap! Big Grin
You never rolled in the hay
Ya never thrown it in four wheel
Climb on up in here, girl
Let me show ya how country feels

"How Country Feels" Randy Houser

Reply }}
Thanks given by:
Let me think about it.
Reply }}
Thanks given by:
No.
Reply }}