The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Creating default object from empty value - Line: 11 - File: inc/plugins/tapatalk.php PHP 7.4.25 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/plugins/tapatalk.php 11 errorHandler->error
/inc/class_plugins.php 38 require_once
/inc/init.php 239 pluginSystem->load
/global.php 18 require_once
/showthread.php 28 require_once

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Silk Rugs
I was asked today about cleaning 3 small man made silk rugs for a customer.

What process is best for this fiber and prespray?
Also what are the do's and don'ts?

Thanks
Brad
Reply }}
Thanks given by:
Beat --shake--bounce on rubber mats--a good vac with beater bar
( look on my web site page for rug cleaning)

Test encap green on back of rug fibers with white cloth to test for bleeding than test on small spot on front. You will need to buy dye loc and have it on hand for future rugs either way. Look on google for companys that sell any dye loc product.

If the dyes are not sensitive and you are going to attempt to clean rug......
Pit washing is always best for silk but not for viscose
You can surface clean these small rugs but have to go over them alot and use alot of moisture if they are silk and then dry with pads and fans.
If they are viscose you can only use a small amount of moisture and them pad dry because the fibers rip when wet

Do fiber test on single fiber to see if fiber breaks easy when wet.
Viscose or Rayon which is shinny like silk but will rip after wet
Real silk is stronger than viscose and will not break AS easy as viscose

If you have a viscose rug--clean by hand with rags or a SMALL op sander machine not a heavy rotary machine----they will tear off fibers

Silk can be cleaned with a 10 inch oreck a stepson---a trinity machine which will not hurt fibers.....not sure about a 175....maybe a cimex or orbot
glad pads are the best for silk

The biggest problem is drying viscose or silk and making fiber stand up as it is drying.
You have to set up fans and groom the rug with a carding brush----the best I have seen is from chemmaxx.com They sell a metal brush that you can screw a broom handle into and stand while grooming. Grooming is done while it is drying not the next day or fibers will have to be re-wet.

Sound like dangerous and tedious work? It is ,so don't do it -----or Charge $3-$6 per ft. Silk or viscose same work.

If they are inexpensive rugs and you can afford to replace them I think it is the best school to learn how clean rugs like that. My old bossman had us clean viscose or silk with dry clean solvents after a vac + shake and then give back to customer. Encap with grooming gets much better results.

Keep learning as much as you can before you clean them----procleaners network on wed nights is the place to ask questions and learn without the $1500 rug course. Lisa Wagner now has an online course which is worth looking into.
BeerBeerBeer
learning something new every minute Hands up Laughing
Carpet Cleaning Naples Florida
my youtube channel

Reply }}
Thanks given by:
(08-25-2013, 07:29 AM)joel hoppe Wrote: Beat --shake--bounce on rubber mats--a good vac with beater bar
( look on my web site page for rug cleaning)

Test encap green on back of rug fibers with white cloth to test for bleeding than test on small spot on front. You will need to buy dye loc and have it on hand for future rugs either way. Look on google for companys that sell any dye loc product.

If the dyes are not sensitive and you are going to attempt to clean rug......
Pit washing is always best for silk but not for viscose
You can surface clean these small rugs but have to go over them alot and use alot of moisture if they are silk and then dry with pads and fans.
If they are viscose you can only use a small amount of moisture and them pad dry because the fibers rip when wet

Do fiber test on single fiber to see if fiber breaks easy when wet.
Viscose or Rayon which is shinny like silk but will rip after wet
Real silk is stronger than viscose and will not break AS easy as viscose

If you have a viscose rug--clean by hand with rags or a SMALL op sander machine not a heavy rotary machine----they will tear off fibers

Silk can be cleaned with a 10 inch oreck a stepson---a trinity machine which will not hurt fibers.....not sure about a 175....maybe a cimex or orbot
glad pads are the best for silk

The biggest problem is drying viscose or silk and making fiber stand up as it is drying.
You have to set up fans and groom the rug with a carding brush----the best I have seen is from chemmaxx.com They sell a metal brush that you can screw a broom handle into and stand while grooming. Grooming is done while it is drying not the next day or fibers will have to be re-wet.

Sound like dangerous and tedious work? It is ,so don't do it -----or Charge $3-$6 per ft. Silk or viscose same work.

If they are inexpensive rugs and you can afford to replace them I think it is the best school to learn how clean rugs like that. My old bossman had us clean viscose or silk with dry clean solvents after a vac + shake and then give back to customer. Encap with grooming gets much better results.

Keep learning as much as you can before you clean them----procleaners network on wed nights is the place to ask questions and learn without the $1500 rug course. Lisa Wagner now has an online course which is worth looking into.
BeerBeerBeer

Thank You
Reply }}
Thanks given by: