The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Creating default object from empty value - Line: 11 - File: inc/plugins/tapatalk.php PHP 7.4.29 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/plugins/tapatalk.php 11 errorHandler->error
/inc/class_plugins.php 38 require_once
/inc/init.php 239 pluginSystem->load
/global.php 18 require_once
/showthread.php 28 require_once

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Competition
Ok got a phone call from a plant that makes cranes. They have been using Coit to clean. So they want to replace it. And upper management doesn't want to. So basically they want me and two other cleaners to do a demo on a long hallway 1/3 each. To prove to upper management that they need new carpet. So it's a good mix of general dirt and soil and grease and oil coming from the factory floor. I need some suggestions. I was thinking a pre spray of like HK or Anomoly. Scrub with a Cimex. And then follow Cimex with the Orbot. I have Encap Green, Int Red, and Spot and boost. I need to know what you guys think. Because if I can save it. I will get to maintain not only it but another sister location. Both have lots of carpet.

Thanks

BTW they are paying for the demos.
Reply }}
Thanks given by:
(08-29-2013, 08:11 AM)BGCD Wrote: Ok got a phone call from a plant that makes cranes. They have been using Coit to clean. So they want to replace it. And upper management doesn't want to. So basically they want me and two other cleaners to do a demo on a long hallway 1/3 each. To prove to upper management that they need new carpet. So it's a good mix of general dirt and soil and grease and oil coming from the factory floor. I need some suggestions. I was thinking a pre spray of like HK or Anomoly. Scrub with a Cimex. And then follow Cimex with the Orbot. I have Encap Green, Int Red, and Spot and boost. I need to know what you guys think. Because if I can save it. I will get to maintain not only it but another sister location. Both have lots of carpet.

Thanks

BTW they are paying for the demos.

Their is a product called OIL LIFT and it does not work like a typical degreaser. For instance when I used it on oily concrete I just used a garden hose and washed all the oil away like as if the oil was water soluble. I also used it to clean the stink ,which is bacteria out of my washing machine and it worked great. It is safe for fibres also. Washed some old cotton towels with it an they smelt so fresh kinda like they were hung to dry on the clothes line.
Reply }}
Thanks given by:
Cimex scrub with fiber max pads, use what ever prepay you want, proboby Intensity Red or hot knife , BUT add 2 oz of spet n boost,

Follow with OP and Cotton pads if you have them.

It will out clean the competish
Reply }}
Thanks given by:
I agree.

(08-29-2013, 10:14 PM)Andy Mc Wrote: Cimex scrub with fiber max pads, use what ever prepay you want, proboby Intensity Red or hot knife , BUT add 2 oz of spet n boost,

Follow with OP and Cotton pads if you have them.

It will out clean the competish
I'm just trying to hack my way to glory.

Get Encapsulation Pads & More!

1 X's Orbot, Windsor & Sanitare Vacs, Multisprayer, Oreck Orbitor, Stepson, BrushEncap (TM4) CRB  
Reply }}
Thanks given by:
I have two long halls to clean sooooo I call six CCers and have them do 1/3 of the hallway each "demo" Presto! I got them both cleaned for FREE. When I did a Demo, it was 4' x 4' in the middle of the room or hallway. Sticks out like a sore thumb. No free cleanings from me.
Reply }}
Thanks given by:
Thanks for the replies. Rambo we will be getting paid to do the cleaning. I just want to knock it out of the park. And get two large accounts. I have some Zorbs with my Orbot. I would say the other two will be HWE or portable.
Reply }}
Thanks given by:
My two cents: I agree with Andy and Damon. Cimex pre-scrub should be great with products as mentioned. My only thought is don't get so gung-ho that you end up overwetting (Andy said cotton and I agree.. partially because it seems to help dry quicker and you don't want wicking on a demo...let the competition do that... :-)).
Coby Gibson
formerly: www.45Clean.com
CobyGibson@me.com

Reply }}
Thanks given by:
Coby that's what I am hoping happens. If this works out I get a plant full of carpet. And another two story office building. With at least 30k sq in it. I appreciate all the help.
Reply }}
Thanks given by:
Greg I have offered to do demos in the past and what I have done is to tell the person in charge that he should get several other cleaners in to do the same demo so that he can see the difference. I also mention to the person in charge that it would be a good idea to let the other cleaners know that their will be other companies doing the same demo. (One of the reasons I encourage this is so the other guys will do a real good job and go nuts and soak it down real goodDemon Wink)LOL

Good Luck
Reply }}
Thanks given by:
(08-31-2013, 08:57 AM)Mardie VanBree Wrote: Greg I have offered to do demos in the past and what I have done is to tell the person in charge that he should get several other cleaners in to do the same demo so that he can see the difference.

me to but i do so knowing full well that nobody else in my area (that i've ever heard of) offer a free CGD demo clap
Currently retired from HWE; VLM only. Commercial Only...well except for the occasional resi job every few weeks.

Carpet Cleaning Rochester NY
Carpet Cleaner Rochester NY

The tools I use or have on the van ... in order from most used, to least used:  Dyson ; 19" Cimex ; Multi-Sprayer ; Orbot ; Oreck-Orbiter ; Hoover-Conquest ; Cyclo Polisher ; DryPod ; 20" Whittaker Trio.
Reply }}
Thanks given by:
Ok so I went and did the demo today. Coit is currently the cleaning company that maintains the facility. So they did a demo, Stanley, New Life a local independent and myself. I actually got to see what they did which was cool. I pre sprayed a little Int. Red. Used the Cimex. Got the Orbot and used a SuperZorb on 1/2 of what I cleaned with the Cimex to see if their would be any difference. He was loving it. Then it got fun. He asked me to cut into an area that Coit had done. So I did and he immediately could see it was better. Finished not so fast. Went back to the elevator. Different carpet and it was a mess. I asked him if I could do another area. He said that would be great. This ended up even better than the other area. I had noticed another cleaner had done an area in that room. It did not look good. I didn't ask him who did it. So we take the equipment to the van. And he said we have a gymnasium at our church. How much would it be to clean that. LOL. I said I will have to look at it first. I took that as a fairly good sign. No really he said it wasn't even close. He took good pictures of everyone's work. And will take another of mine once it dries. And then submit everything to upper management. I actually feel now I can price this a little higher due to the others not looking nearly as good.
Reply }}
Thanks given by:
Excellent news. I hope the good news continues - please keep us all informed.

When you said that "I can price this a little higher due to the others not looking nearly as good" you raised the issue of pricing strategy and that should be thought through very carefully because of the different areas that you mentioned. Will they all be cleaned at the same time or will some be skipped or alternated causing you different costs? Will some require more equipment or chemical costs or staffing costs? Can you give some bonus areas bundled into the cleanings to insure you get the work?

Worth thinking about strategically. There are many ways to increase prices without being more expensive / too expensive which might cause you to lose the business even though your cleaning is better.

Do you know how much Coit is charging them?

Larry Galler
The Small Business Greatness Coach
Subscribe to receive my weekly newspaper column by email every Sunday at http://oneyeartogreatness.com
Reply }}
Thanks given by:
Larry I don't know. But I intend to try and find out if possible. I told them on the first cleaning if I have to use the Cimex and then follow with the Orbot. The cost will be more. But after that if we only have to use the Cimex the cost would then go down.
Reply }}
Thanks given by:
(09-07-2013, 12:30 PM)BGCD Wrote: Larry I don't know. But I intend to try and find out if possible. I told them on the first cleaning if I have to use the Cimex and then follow with the Orbot. The cost will be more. But after that if we only have to use the Cimex the cost would then go down.

The nice thing about doing a demo with other cleaners being their you know they sent their best men and best equipment and then when you smokem or completely anialate them with equipment that is a fraction of the cost of their equipment it feels so good. I am on a 2 day job right now and that's how I got it. I do sometimes feel sorry for them TM ONLY guys, they have so much invested but they just don't get it.awwwman They have been sold on something and they just want to believe the hype. Problem is the hype does not cut it when the client speaks.

BGCD I have used the term (I do not compete on price I compete on results) many times and that is what the client wants to hear.
Reply }}
Thanks given by:
Personally, I would not tell the prospect that it will cost more or less based on the process needed.

Just submit the bid with your price along with an explanation of services and talk about process within that description.

I think the written proposal plays a huge role in getting commercial work. Some just submit a price with the most basic of info. Providing the prospect a detailed proposal in writing goes a long way.

Just my opinion.

1 X's Orbot, Windsor & Sanitare Vacs, Multisprayer, Oreck Orbitor, Stepson, BrushEncap (TM4) CRB  
Reply }}
Thanks given by:
Damon,

I agree. The more detail that shows that you were actually attentive and listening to the customer's 'areas of concern' goes miles and miles above and beyond a price on a piece of paper.

You can also eliminate the potential problem areas by addressing them in a super positive way right up front... Example: "I noticed by the front reception desk that there was an abraded traffic lane that I may have to work on again a couple of days after it drys... and.... and ... and ... and" of course all that checking/follow up will especially be done this first time and it is all included in the price I'm providing...

You also have a time where you can say "regardless of whether or not I get this quote, here are some items I would like to mention that will greatly extend the life/cleanliness/appearance of your carpet... 1. extend/replace walk off matting, 2 focus on vacuum frequency: especially in entryway #X where I noticed.... 3. etc etc....

whatever SPECIFICALLY is a benefit to them due to the type of carpet, layout of building, where office furniture is placed... not generality's.... specific to them like "under Mary's desk I noticed that she has an xyz chair mat... that particular mat should be....
Coby Gibson
formerly: www.45Clean.com
CobyGibson@me.com

Reply }}
Thanks given by:
Coby's post is probably the best post on sales & marketing I've read since I Steve invited me to be a part of this forum and perhaps since I've been coaching owners of small businesses.

Read it. Read it again. Memorize it. It isn't only for selling in this particular situation but, modified to it the circumstances, should be used in every sales presentation you give.

It's rare that I'm speechless so I'll just shut up now.

Larry Galler
The Small Business Greatness Coach
Subscribe to receive my weekly newspaper column every Sunday by email at http://oneyeartogreatness.com
Reply }}
Thanks given by:
I book a good % of the commercial jobs I bid on. This is not bragging but rather something I have honed.

My prices are probably mid scale .14 - .18 depending on square footage, condition, etc.

I think the reason for this is that I spend a lot of time at the location preparing the bid. Measure everything out, ask lots of questions, make small talk (when applicable), etc.

Prices are never quoted on site. I come home, tally up all the measurements and prepare the estimate. Included is a cover letter, copy of GL, workman's comp and business licence. And of course, the bid. It's usually sent later that night or the next day.

Some prefer to walk in, guestimate the size and give a price right away. If that works for you, great. For me this style has never worked. In my opinion you've got to put time into it.

One thing I've never done is a demo. I know some of you do and it's something I should do more of.

Reply }}
Thanks given by:
I found a good way to get commercial work is to ask them if they have any Problem Areas that have been bugging them and that you would like to give them a sample of what makes you different than all the other cc you have delt with in the past.

It is a good idea to scope out the condition of the carpet before you speak to anyone about it. That way you can point out things to them that they may not realize.
Reply }}
Thanks given by:
Agree 100% Damon. I submit a written proposal on every commercial job. No duplicate forms filled out and submitted at the time. I measure every job. I use a laser measuring device and my tablet to record the measurements. I talk about alll of the trouble areas and go over the expectations that they have and what mine are for their carpet. we talk about what past practice has been for the cleaning schedule and what it possibly should be based on the environment they have. I explain what I beleive to be the benefits of my system and what seperates us from others that use it.

I give them a copy of my brochure and my card and give them a firm time of when they can expect an emailed copy of the bid.

I realize that many do these things every day. For me being part time, it is even more important to convey professionalism and the ability to compete with the biggest of company's. I do this thru my personalized quotes, professional brochure and the confidence that there is no task we cannot take on.

Brochure

(09-07-2013, 11:41 PM)thecleaningdude Wrote: Personally, I would not tell the prospect that it will cost more or less based on the process needed.

Just submit the bid with your price along with an explanation of services and talk about process within that description.

I think the written proposal plays a huge role in getting commercial work. Some just submit a price with the most basic of info. Providing the prospect a detailed proposal in writing goes a long way.

Just my opinion.
Reply }}
Thanks given by: