The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Creating default object from empty value - Line: 11 - File: inc/plugins/tapatalk.php PHP 7.4.29 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/plugins/tapatalk.php 11 errorHandler->error
/inc/class_plugins.php 38 require_once
/inc/init.php 239 pluginSystem->load
/global.php 18 require_once
/showthread.php 28 require_once

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Random Thoughts about OP and HWE
using a wand would ruin your reputation?
Reply }}
Thanks given by:
doing any appt in 30 min incl set up & down would kill my reputation... assuming 1 man going out... yup! BTW, I hate the wand, I am without a doubt an 'RX just about everything when I am TM' man. Why any cleaner makes the wand more than 20% of their work week blows my mind. I believe it to be the device of very short careers.... Men like TOYS!

Con
Reply }}
Thanks given by:
2 bedroom apartment in 12 - 14 minutes?

C'mon now....
I'm just trying to hack my way to glory.

Get Encapsulation Pads & More!

1 X's Orbot, Windsor & Sanitare Vacs, Multisprayer, Oreck Orbitor, Stepson, BrushEncap (TM4) CRB  
Reply }}
Thanks given by:
(09-07-2013, 12:11 AM)Con Schultz Wrote: doing any appt in 30 min incl set up & down would kill my reputation... assuming 1 man going out... yup! BTW, I hate the wand, I am without a doubt an 'RX just about everything when I am TM' man. Why any cleaner makes the wand more than 20% of their work week blows my mind. I believe it to be the device of very short careers.... Men like TOYS!

Con

Don't agree with this at all.

I would rather use a glided wand all day. If I had no glide, then your comment would hold an oz of water....

Maybe you need to try a real wand with a glide?

Sent from my Galaxy Note II using Tapatalk
Carpet Cleaning Salinas, Monterey, Pebble Beach Ca
ProGreen Kleen & Floor Care
http://Progreenkleen.net
Reply }}
Thanks given by:
Well I think it's important to note that you said you don't do PM work, I see why , a guy would be hard pressed to get $200 for a 2 bed room apartment, so you get to keep your reputation at the cost of missing a big chunk of work. For some reason I'm able to keep my rep in place and still get the PM work , in and out in about 30 minutes, and can price competitively.
Reply }}
Thanks given by:
fantastic Andy, its just not for me. Havent done apts in more than a decade, restaurant or bar either....

as per glide wand, have 2... but I will say I had an RX fore 3 years before I ever held my first wand, so I am very very comfortable with my RX.

Con
Reply }}
Thanks given by:
How would a random residential customer even know if you do move outs or not?

How do move outs effect your reputation?

This doesn't make a lot of sense....

1 X's Orbot, Windsor & Sanitare Vacs, Multisprayer, Oreck Orbitor, Stepson, BrushEncap (TM4) CRB  
Reply }}
Thanks given by:
random res pays me 31 - 33 /ft empty every day... ie 1000 ft bungalow main floor of L, H 2BR empty is often $200... just like any apartment... whether TM or OP, same fees.

So today I worked - because I was in vegas a few days this week, doing some catch up... I did a 3BR with 'my glided wand' - wasnt excited about the traffic lane walkways & redid all of the open areas again with the RX - for an aha moment... "aha that is much better"

I'll be the first to admit - I likely am a terrible tech with the wand. I dont like wand, dont want to pick up wand, the most awful tool in the truck is a wand. period.

No wand that I have seen flushes what 3-4-5, maybe even 6 times wet, compared to 40 - 80 wet in traffic lanes and the clean result is significantly different - and consistent regardless of the tech of the day. (pre agitation of course makes a world of difference too when wanding) I also realize that few of the commentators have had 20 yrs & more using an RX most of every day. If you like your wands - go for it. My RX is glided as well. I have been around the block a few too many times to realize that my way is not the only way to get things done.

This is all in my opinion of course, and honestly have no interest in debating with anyone that I am right or I am wrong... I know my RX out cleans MY wanding each & every time out period.... and my clients pay me all day long for my performance with my RX, but whatever floats your boats guys.

I know many of the readers here have a hard time 'charging a larger fee' for their cleaning, they say 'it cant be done in MY town'. So be it, but I often wonder - could you & would you charge more for RX (etc) level of clean? Nd yes - it takes at least 4 months of RX every day before one really can make that tool sing! I am sure it is the same with a wand - which I have never cleaned more than 3 houses per year with a wand.

Con
Reply }}
Thanks given by:
(09-07-2013, 08:11 PM)Con Schultz Wrote: random res pays me 31 - 33 /ft empty every day... ie 1000 ft bungalow main floor of L, H 2BR empty is often $200... just like any apartment... whether TM or OP, same fees.

So today I worked - because I was in vegas a few days this week, doing some catch up... I did a 3BR with 'my glided wand' - wasnt excited about the traffic lane walkways & redid all of the open areas again with the RX - for an aha moment... "aha that is much better"

I'll be the first to admit - I likely am a terrible tech with the wand. I dont like wand, dont want to pick up wand, the most awful tool in the truck is a wand. period.

No wand that I have seen flushes what 3-4-5, maybe even 6 times wet, compared to 40 - 80 wet in traffic lanes and the clean result is significantly different - and consistent regardless of the tech of the day. (pre agitation of course makes a world of difference too when wanding) I also realize that few of the commentators have had 20 yrs & more using an RX most of every day. If you like your wands - go for it. My RX is glided as well. I have been around the block a few too many times to realize that my way is not the only way to get things done.

This is all in my opinion of course, and honestly have no interest in debating with anyone that I am right or I am wrong... I know my RX out cleans MY wanding each & every time out period.... and my clients pay me all day long for my performance with my RX, but whatever floats your boats guys.

I know many of the readers here have a hard time 'charging a larger fee' for their cleaning, they say 'it cant be done in MY town'. So be it, but I often wonder - could you & would you charge more for RX (etc) level of clean? Nd yes - it takes at least 4 months of RX every day before one really can make that tool sing! I am sure it is the same with a wand - which I have never cleaned more than 3 houses per year with a wand.

Con

Whatever.....

You should write a book on how to charge so much and be sooooo successful. I would buy a copy in a heartbeat.

Reply }}
Thanks given by:
Lefty the I find the trick to getting higher prices is recognition as a cleaner that produces superior results and service. It takes time to establish a reputation but once it kicks in the price has very little to do with getting a better buck than the next guy. I think peoples expectations have been preconditioned based on past experiences. This is the hard part to get around when making a first time sale to someone that is a stranger and knows nothing about you. You should remember that most potential customers have heard all the promises made to them in the past only to be disappointed. So they will justly be very skeptical.
The city I live in is steam cleaner central and the hard part for me is that they all compete on price (which in turn makes them into hacks) probably because they are all using the same method and have nothing more to offer than the next guy so that makes price their point of competition.
Reply }}
Thanks given by:
Getting a high price has purely to do with salesman ship NOT quality. Some of the highest price cleaners in my area are complete hacks, yet they get double what I charge and run multi trucks.
Reply }}
Thanks given by:
Con , do you ever clean with OP and think to your self this would come out better with the RX? I find it interesting that the wand is not up to par with your standards , yet rubbing a carpet with a towel is expectable,

I can not equal quality with a pad that I can with a wand, less were talking commercial.

Yet I have not run the trinity so maybe that's different
Reply }}
Thanks given by:
Agree with Andy here.

I have been doing a lot of experimenting lately... it is amazing what happens when you run a wand right thru the middle of a freshly OP'd room.

I also have never ran a Trinity either.

Reply }}
Thanks given by:
IMO, the guys that are getting truly premium pricing are mostly referral based cleaners with a long, deep list of established customers.

I think the market (region) you service has a lot to do with this as well.

Reply }}
Thanks given by:
You may have a point dude.

what do you say Con? are you getting a lot of new customers at these prices or is it primary repeats and referrals for you?
Reply }}
Thanks given by:
so starting at the top of my last response....

Lefty, often tempted to write (hardly anytime for it in the past 6 - 8 years. but I do write all my articles in my newsletters for my biz - whch mostly are old stuff now - but the info is also timeless).

Also tempted to attempt instructing SFS.

I guess where I learned this stuff - is going to classes after classes. I have calculated I am over 80K now in attending classes (incl travel food & lodging to be there)

Andy post 1 - DEAD ON - so much of your price depends on how much you think you are worth - then your communication ability to prove hat you are worth thaaat much - before you ever get to prove that it really was worth that much, then have a money back guarantee of course! I did toastmasters for 13 years, IICRC CCT 17 times...etc etc etc... It really builds you up to be a better presenter. PRACTICE & HONE YOUR SALES SCRIPT SKILLS!! Tell stories that the client can understand. Example, if I am trying to relate how worn out their carpet is, I convert it to a car. Your car is a car designed to go (220,000?) miles and you are about 160,000 now. Your carpet is not new & getting closer to the end, but it doesnt mean that you cant take it on a 6 hr journey to (the next tourist city close to your town)...

Andy 2, indeed, at least 1X per month. Sometimes I stop, consult with client & then set up TM, other times I also pad after HWE (no extra charge for either situation as the client has already agreed for a cost for completed work - not about more steps to get there). My trinities clean better than my TM just about all the time in com work. But I am rarely ashamed or thinking I am short changing clients by cleaning OP with the Trinities... The trinity is a clear step up in end result quality compared to my Brute & breeze models.

Lefty 2, curious after running that wand through - have you ever gone back 2 days later to see the difference of where you ran that wand where you thought there was a big difference before the encap dried & post vac after dry - then go look at the difference! It is not often as much as you think. (I have done that test 2x now). Anyone can make a carpet look brighter with the stroke of the wand - but then it dries flat & dull, whereas OP dries brighter & shinier than TM.

Dude & Andy, for sure it is easier when your first time client is already preconditioned by an existing client that 'he is terribly expensive - but his work is amazing!' 92 - 94% of our cleaning is repeat & referral for many years, the lowest number we have ever had since we started tracking was 88%. However we still get about 80% of our 'out of the blue' clients - when we do onsite quotes. We likely (not tracked) close 25% of 'generic' phone calls - most are turned away because we are 3 weeks behind & they were thinking they need it completed in the next 2 days etc. When we are this far behind we dont take many 'out of the blue' new clients regardless. I think we have turned away 100K in work since Jan 1 this year to date.

hopefully this helps
Con
Reply }}
Thanks given by:
It does help Con, your business is at a completely different level then mine, that $100,000 worth of work you turned away is the kind of work I do to survive, (the I need it done tomorrow call) and lots of price shoppers. The goal is to get to where you are at, but this is what I got to do right now to keep the thing going.

No argument from me on using the Trinity on commercial, I prefer to vlm commercial as well, However I do hold to my opinion that a good TM cleaning is by far better OP on residential work.
Thanks for the response.
Reply }}
Thanks given by:
Opinions are great, but microscope and atp testing are better.
http://nostickyresidue.com/forum/images/...tongue.gif
John "PadMan" Geurkink
Trinity Renewal Systems
The Grandfather of OP
Encap Carpet Cleaning Machines
I was OP when OP wasn't cool
Reply }}
Thanks given by:
$100k a year in turned down work?

This is $2,000.00 a week on average. Turning down this much work seems quite frankly, unbelievable.

Why turn it down? Too busy?

You can't outfit a second van with those kinds of expectations?

Just curious.

Reply }}
Thanks given by:
Already have #2 & have for 8 years, We'll see if we grow again soon, but very concerned about how many more years I can do 10 - 12 hour days for. Does one start working less at 50 so you make it to 68, or do you go mad til 55 - 57 & go more full time retirement...

Debating on my wisdom of either side of this one... for now, it is work very very hard... and we are 2.5 - 3 weeks out right now. I think we have about 3 days worth of appts to fill in Sept.

I have often said over the years that it is easier to work 12 hours stress free than work 6 loaded with stress (aka multiple employees). Which model / which master do you wish to serve??

Another factor in this whole thing is that we are pretty good at marketing & sales. weak links would be equip repair & lack of desire to grow / change my hat to 'manager' form the (mostly) 'tech /salesman' I am now. I will apply 15 K worth of urine treatment alone this year, 85% of that will be done after 8 pm in the eves... I am a night owl & don start early for sure.

My advise to each - take whatever makes you successful & keep going at it. Take your weakest link & hire it or learn to get it done. Its no one else dream but yours - go get it!

Con - with good problems to deal with - but still a problem! (26 years now of cc)
Reply }}
Thanks given by: