The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Creating default object from empty value - Line: 11 - File: inc/plugins/tapatalk.php PHP 7.4.29 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/plugins/tapatalk.php 11 errorHandler->error
/inc/class_plugins.php 38 require_once
/inc/init.php 239 pluginSystem->load
/global.php 18 require_once
/showthread.php 28 require_once

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Random Thoughts about OP and HWE
I should also add - I live in a town of 90K, with a population of 160K in a 1 hour radius, my marketing works for us here... I have no idea how you market yourself in a city of 2 million - that completely baffles me. Same with operating 1 truck cc in 2 million... no idea how you do that & travel that far , that long for that referral to a family member clear across the city etc... I feel very fortunate to be in my city with my city economics being reasonably good with few killer crunches in the 38 years I have lived here.

PDQ has done us wonders, learning the PDQ system even more. My wife is utterly awesome in our office and I am sure that has a lot to do with our success too. I believe the Big Guy above has also specifically blessed us in many ways too!

Con
Reply }}
Thanks given by:
Con, I just read your comment "Already have #2 & have for 8 years, We'll see if we grow again soon, but very concerned about how many more years I can do 10 - 12 hour days for. Does one start working less at 50 so you make it to 68, or do you go mad til 55 - 57 & go more full time retirement...

Debating on my wisdom of either side of this one... for now, it is work very very hard... and we are 2.5 - 3 weeks out right now. I think we have about 3 days worth of appts to fill in Sept.

I have often said over the years that it is easier to work 12 hours stress free than work 6 loaded with stress (aka multiple employees). Which model / which master do you wish to serve??"

It appears to me that your self-image is that of a very well paid, technically excellent, hard-working tech who owns the business. From what I've read of your posts this image is fine with you. Now put on your "imagination hat" and think of yourself as a business owner who rMANAGES a business with a staff of well paid, technically excellent, hard-working techs who are very well trained at the technical aspects of your craft and skilled at sales and customer relations. This is a different job description but with it in place you could have that 100k in sales that you've lost. The price to do it would be becoming a better manager and the transfer of skills to others. Yes, you might add mental stress to your life but you would be reducing the future physical stress that you are concerned about in the aging process. Those 12 stress-free hours will have lots of stress if / when you have some physical problems. I don't know that one is better then the other, just different (until you get back issues and don't ask how I know about that).

Tech who owns a business or businessperson who manages the business and the techs? I'm certainly not trying to tell you how to run your business or your life but offering alternatives you could consider.

Larry Galler
The Small Business Greatness Coach
Subscribe to receive my free weekly newspaper column and newsletter every Sunday by email at http://www.oneyeartogreatness.com
Reply }}
Thanks given by:
Con,

I'm really impressed with the business that you have built.

I think it might be time to start taking care of the biggest asset responsible for your success "Your Body". If you continue to work 12 hour days you may not be around long enough to enjoy the fruits of your labor.

It might be time to let go of the carpet technician hat and give that aging body a rest and focus more on other aspects of the biz. I'm not saying that you need to stop cleaning carpets but you don't have to be the main guy.
Reply }}
Thanks given by:
that certainly is a question on my mind now... at 48 yrs young....

Con
Reply }}
Thanks given by:
My Dad is 67 years old and can still bench 300 pounds, So you got at least another 20 years of good health Con , just eat your Wheaties and keep the stress away and you'll be cleaning carpets tell your 70,

We need to put a stop to this silly idea that the ideal is to whimp out and let a goofy tech take over. If I wanted to be a fat lazy man that told others what to do all day, I would have kept my 9 to 5 job.

If you think cleaning carpet is hard then you have led a soft life, try being a construction labor that has to haul 50 pounds worth of materiel up 5 flights of stairs all day, or swinging a 15 pound sledge hammer for 10 hours a day driving rail road spikes in the 110 degree summer heat. that's the stuff for young men, carpet cleaning is an old mans job.
Reply }}
Thanks given by:
Wow you were a young buck when you started Con you have at least 5 more years to bust out 12 hour days.

I have no desire to be cleaning carpet at 60 years of age. The only disappoint I have after completing 6 years in this business is that I'm still wearing the carpet cleaning technician hat.
Reply }}
Thanks given by:
if i'm still here, i hope i'm able to clean @ 70....i'll surely need the $.

my past profession of masonry i wouldn't have lasted past 60 if i was lucky. this stuff is so easy i'd think 80 is doable, as long as you can walk and are mobile.

wear out or rust out... i don't do 12/6 though, not even close! i bet the $ is good. i'm satisfied with 8/5, maybe someday i will reach that point lol.
Currently retired from HWE; VLM only. Commercial Only...well except for the occasional resi job every few weeks.

Carpet Cleaning Rochester NY
Carpet Cleaner Rochester NY

The tools I use or have on the van ... in order from most used, to least used:  Dyson ; 19" Cimex ; Multi-Sprayer ; Orbot ; Oreck-Orbiter ; Hoover-Conquest ; Cyclo Polisher ; DryPod ; 20" Whittaker Trio.
Reply }}
Thanks given by:
(09-11-2013, 12:36 AM)Derek Wrote: if i'm still here, i hope i'm able to clean @ 70....i'll surely need the $.

my past profession of masonry i wouldn't have lasted past 60 if i was lucky. this stuff is so easy i'd think 80 is doable, as long as you can walk and are mobile.

wear out or rust out... i don't do 12/6 though, not even close! i bet the $ is good. i'm satisfied with 8/5, maybe someday i will reach that point lol.

Wow Derek, I did masonry too, block layer in San Diego, wouldn't have lived to 60...lol
John "PadMan" Geurkink
Trinity Renewal Systems
The Grandfather of OP
Encap Carpet Cleaning Machines
I was OP when OP wasn't cool
Reply }}
Thanks given by:
John,

Did you ever live in the valley (SFV)?

(09-11-2013, 07:39 AM)John Geurkink Wrote:
(09-11-2013, 12:36 AM)Derek Wrote: if i'm still here, i hope i'm able to clean @ 70....i'll surely need the $.

Wow Derek, I did masonry too, block layer in San Diego, wouldn't have lived to 60...lol
I'm just trying to hack my way to glory.

Get Encapsulation Pads & More!

1 X's Orbot, Windsor & Sanitare Vacs, Multisprayer, Oreck Orbitor, Stepson, BrushEncap (TM4) CRB  
Reply }}
Thanks given by:
(09-11-2013, 07:39 AM)John Geurkink Wrote: Wow Derek, I did masonry too, block layer in San Diego, wouldn't have lived to 60...lol

i do remember that about you John Big Grin very cool. i laid mostly brick with a little stone and far less block. besides a few basements, the only time i laid block was in brick chimneys (for the guts and around the flue.) i lasted only 5 years and finally realized i didn't wanna work outside 12 months a year for the rest of my life Violin
Currently retired from HWE; VLM only. Commercial Only...well except for the occasional resi job every few weeks.

Carpet Cleaning Rochester NY
Carpet Cleaner Rochester NY

The tools I use or have on the van ... in order from most used, to least used:  Dyson ; 19" Cimex ; Multi-Sprayer ; Orbot ; Oreck-Orbiter ; Hoover-Conquest ; Cyclo Polisher ; DryPod ; 20" Whittaker Trio.
Reply }}
Thanks given by:
I'll add another comment about differences of Trinity specifically OP & HWE via TM & RX....

Given a 8 hour shift of solid cleaning... running the RX is a ton easier on my body... just finished 10 hours or running trinity CM with the 26 lb extra weight... I'm exhausted!!

Con
Reply }}
Thanks given by:
(09-16-2013, 11:41 PM)Con Schultz Wrote: I'll add another comment about differences of Trinity specifically OP & HWE via TM & RX....

Given a 8 hour shift of solid cleaning... running the RX is a ton easier on my body... just finished 10 hours or running trinity CM with the 26 lb extra weight... I'm exhausted!!

Con

Con what is it about the op that is more tyring than the rx ?
Reply }}
Thanks given by:
pushing the CM with a MF is like trying to push a lawn mower with 3" wheels over rougher terrain... When using the tan fibre pad it is easily twice as easy. The RX with glides glides along like running a rotary on a floor strip job (it is the hoses that is the work in the TM cleaning)

Con
Reply }}
Thanks given by: