The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Creating default object from empty value - Line: 11 - File: inc/plugins/tapatalk.php PHP 7.4.25 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/plugins/tapatalk.php 11 errorHandler->error
/inc/class_plugins.php 38 require_once
/inc/init.php 239 pluginSystem->load
/global.php 18 require_once
/showthread.php 28 require_once

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
By the Room or Square Foot?
Merty, you've been in this business long enought to know what to expect in a residential setting right? I'm to the point now that I can almost predict what I'm getting into before I see the home.

If you do the math on every home you did last year and figured out what the average price was per room....that would be a good start. Or at least the average price per house.
My average ticket in Sac last year was $225.00 because we did sqft pricing most of the time.

So if we did a whole house special of $199.00 1 story and $249.00 2 story...we would surely make out at the end of the year. Ok, we might lose a dollar per house...but really probably not because we would still charge more for "over sized" houses.

And now that I think about it. We could probably do less because that average includes tile jobs as well.

Reply }}
Thanks given by:
(04-04-2011, 09:47 AM)Pigchip Wrote: I have never been one who did a bunch of upselling once on the job, but I also see nothing wrong with it, if it fits your personality and the upselling you do is of true benefit to the customer. My focus has been primarily on residential cleaning for the past few years. Most of my business is commercial and I have been trying to get more residential. I just like residential more ... for several resons. However, pricing by the s.f. doesn't seem, to me anyway, to be as productive (sales wise and from a standpoint of managing job costs) as pricing by the room.

I just can't seem to get over how much I fail to "see" when pricing over the phone, as opposed to giving a tailored quote in person.

But how much energy and time do you waste "seeing" exactly what you are quoting?
Quality means doing it right when no one is looking...

Henry Ford
Reply }}
Thanks given by:
I assume you are talking to me, even though I know you understand what my name is. (Or are you trying to be another Mikey, now that you've attended your first MF?)

I understand average pricing. The problem I have is the fact that it always seems to lead to average cleaning.
Reply }}
Thanks given by:
I wouldn't call it wasted.

The fact that they physically let you put a foot in the door truly means they are a qualified prospect. From there it is up to you to make all you can out of it.

I'm not suggesting you hit'em in the face with "I can do this or that" , I mean no point in getting all "Imby" about it. Tongue

However if you see a need and you offer that service, I sure wouldn't be shy about mentioning it.

"I noticed the upholstery could use a little freshening up, would you like me to give you a quote on that or do you plan on continuing to live like a pig Mrs Sutley?"
Angel

dance
You never rolled in the hay
Ya never thrown it in four wheel
Climb on up in here, girl
Let me show ya how country feels

"How Country Feels" Randy Houser

Reply }}
Thanks given by:
(04-04-2011, 12:18 PM)Richardc Wrote: "I noticed the upholstery could use a little freshening up, would you like me to give you a quote on that or do you plan on continuing to live like a pig Mrs Sutley?"

Yikes
[Image: LogoSmall.jpg]
Products that make you a HERO in your customer's eyes!Rdance
Reply }}
Thanks given by:
"Mrs.Sutley, have you ever considered air duct cleaning to improve the indoor air quality of this pigsty?"
Any better? Angel

Reply }}
Thanks given by:
(04-04-2011, 01:47 PM)Richardc Wrote: "Mrs.Sutley, have you ever considered air duct cleaning to improve the indoor air quality of this pigsty?"
Any better? Angel
LOL
[Image: LogoSmall.jpg]
Products that make you a HERO in your customer's eyes!Rdance
Reply }}
Thanks given by:
So, am I to assume the only way to upsell is by being there for the quote?

I have been on many jobs that I quoted on the phone and got there and need to raise the rates...or lower them... and also upsold.

But I digress.

I am w/Marty...so-to-speak (before Richard turns that into a penis joke)... my world is simple...two trips is not simple.

If they are too stupid to understand room pricing, then they are too stupid to enjoy clean carpet.

and many are.
Reply }}
Thanks given by:
(04-04-2011, 12:08 PM)Pigchip Wrote: I assume you are talking to me, even though I know you understand what my name is. (Or are you trying to be another Mikey, now that you've attended your first MF?)

I understand average pricing. The problem I have is the fact that it always seems to lead to average cleaning.

Who me? Din't mean to hit a nerve...just messin with ya.
Mikefest was cool. Wish you were there...would have been fun.

Average is in the hands of the cleaner no matter what the price....even if someone doesn't end up paying for pet urine etc...I still go the extra mile to get the carpet clean.
Reply }}
Thanks given by:
Yikes

dance

Reply }}
Thanks given by:
Brent,
I'm thinking about doing away with the whole house special. I work harder and make less money than most carpet cleaners because of it. Sorry I ever talked Grant into it, I know he has had some stress with it as well.
If you want more information on how this has not worked for me give me a call.

Reply }}
Thanks given by:
You can always have more than one whole house special.
But I know what you mean.

Reply }}
Thanks given by:
(04-04-2011, 12:08 PM)Pigchip Wrote: I assume you are talking to me, even though I know you understand what my name is. (Or are you trying to be another Mikey, now that you've attended your first MF?)

It was Brian R that went to Mike Fest, not me. But back on the subject Martin---Do I sound like the principal that was about to beat you like the bad piglet you are?----

I don't understand why average pricing over the phone changes your outcome?

Maybe I'm a little brain dead today...

Henry Ford
Reply }}
Thanks given by:
(04-04-2011, 09:17 PM)Andy Mc Wrote: Brent,
I'm thinking about doing away with the whole house special. I work harder and make less money than most carpet cleaners because of it. Sorry I ever talked Grant into it, I know he has had some stress with it as well.
If you want more information on how this has not worked for me give me a call.

What are you charging in your whole house deals? What kind of time are you spending on most of them if I might ask.
What Limits?

I have heard of a guy named Big Mikey, I think he is in Indy, that is all about Whole house pricing all the time. $200 I seem to recall and they have several two person teams with porty's taking on houses.

Henry Ford
Reply }}
Thanks given by:
I met Big Mike at Mikey'sFest.

Cool guy...perfect name for him as he is about 5'2"

He does whole house pricing and the price doesn't change almost no matter what.

I believe it was closer to $139.00 single and $189.00 2 story
Pet urine and heavy soil all included...no sqft limits at all.
He was the one that got me thinking about win big on the small ones and lose little on the big ones.

He runs 2 man crews with porties and keeps his overhead low.
I didn't ask how many houses the one crew does in a day but I would think it would have to be 5 or 6 to make a profit.

He was on the Round table with me and a few other industry guys.
Reply }}
Thanks given by:
It's interesting to note that those who's business model is coupon cheap pricing or cheap whole-house pricing are usually not those doing the work themselves...they have crews or subcontractors that do the work.

Reply }}
Thanks given by:
(04-05-2011, 03:07 PM)mikecharles Wrote: It's interesting to note that those who's business model is coupon cheap pricing or cheap whole-house pricing are usually not those doing the work themselves...they have crews or subcontractors that do the work.

I would guess because you have to do a certain amount of jobs to make any money.
Reply }}
Thanks given by:
I charge $40 a room and $4 per stair. $20 for hallways. I do not care how big or small the room is. I find that everything comes out in the wash. I have not yet lost money on a carpet job with this method.

For instance saturday. Had 3 jobs. probably cleaned 4000 sf of carpet. All three houses were empty. $620 day spent less then $50 in gas. $15 in chems. My daily operating cost is about $30 a day (Truck, insurance, bond, liability.....)

I also have a incredibly large service area as I live on the far outskirts of town. and it is 30 miles one way to about 75% of my jobs. So it is much easier and less expensive to tell people a set price as opposed to 2 trips for every job.

Ston and tile jobs are 2 trip jobs as there are way to many variables and possible problems. But carpet is really not to different.

Allthough I am thinking about going to a 3 tier (silver, gold, platinum system)
[/align]
Reply }}
Thanks given by:
I like that idea a lot.

Joel...help me get my head around something:

do you consider a LR/DR combo as one room?

Or does your 'room only apply to BR's.

I may jump all over this.
Reply }}
Thanks given by:
(04-05-2011, 03:08 PM)Brian R Wrote:
(04-05-2011, 03:07 PM)mikecharles Wrote: It's interesting to note that those who's business model is coupon cheap pricing or cheap whole-house pricing are usually not those doing the work themselves...they have crews or subcontractors that do the work.

I would guess because you have to do a certain amount of jobs to make any money.

The point was that if you're the owner, it's always easier to get someone to work cheaper than you would do the job yourself.

Reply }}
Thanks given by: