The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Creating default object from empty value - Line: 11 - File: inc/plugins/tapatalk.php PHP 7.4.25 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/plugins/tapatalk.php 11 errorHandler->error
/inc/class_plugins.php 38 require_once
/inc/init.php 239 pluginSystem->load
/global.php 18 require_once
/showthread.php 28 require_once

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
By the Room or Square Foot?
(04-05-2011, 03:43 PM)mikecharles Wrote:
(04-05-2011, 03:08 PM)Brian R Wrote:
(04-05-2011, 03:07 PM)mikecharles Wrote: It's interesting to note that those who's business model is coupon cheap pricing or cheap whole-house pricing are usually not those doing the work themselves...they have crews or subcontractors that do the work.

I would guess because you have to do a certain amount of jobs to make any money.

The point was that if you're the owner, it's always easier to get someone to work cheaper than you would do the job yourself.

Yes....but that's just life. The person doing the job has less "headaches" for lack of a better term...and probably less ambition as well.
Reply }}
Thanks given by:
(04-05-2011, 03:23 PM)C Spot Stop Wrote: I like that idea a lot.

Joel...help me get my head around something:

do you consider a LR/DR combo as one room?

Or does your 'room only apply to BR's.

I may jump all over this.

It depends on the size or if there is a semi partition. If there is anything seperating it then yes it is always two rooms. If they are both really large then yes they are two rooms.

It is more of a judgment call.

To be honest 9 out of 10 times the customer will say that the dining room and living room are two different rooms even if I would have probably let it be just 1.

Reply }}
Thanks given by:
Thanks Joel.

I am gonna sort this all the way out.

Reply }}
Thanks given by:
Glad to see we are back on topic! $40 per room is an excellent price for customers who are just shopping around. I had a call today and after I explain the benefits of my method she said thank you very much. I asked her are you looking for the cheapest company or the best value for your dollar? She said both and I replied, I seriously doubt that you will find a company that will give you both.

Customers who value good work will see a great value in a $40 per room job and those who don't can call the local bait & switch scam guys at $5.99 per room. LOL
Danny Guerra
All Green Floor & Carpet Care
Carpet Cleaning Palmdale Ca
www.allgreencare.com
https://www.youtube.com/user/allgreencare

“Optimists are those who go after Moby dick in a row boat with a bucket of tarter sauce.” Zig Ziglar

Reply }}
Thanks given by:
I thought I wold just add to the comments to make this this longest thread ever on this BB? What is the record to date?

Con
Reply }}
Thanks given by:
(04-05-2011, 08:41 PM)C Spot Stop Wrote: Thanks Joel.

I am gonna sort this all the way out.

In my opinion it all comes out pretty fair. For probably 7 out of 10 ocupied residential jobs. I am probably cleaning 2-300 sf in a big house. In the kids rooms it is probably closer to 60 or 70 square feet. sometimes it seems like I am only cleaning abut 30. so if the living room dining room combo is 500 sf it is really just making up for the tiny bedrooms. So it is a give and take. With in all reality me taking more then I am giving.

And on the same sized empties. it is not uncommon for the kids rooms to be 10 x 12 or 12x12 so once again. well under 200 sf. so again if the big room is 300 sf each I am still balancing out.

Reply }}
Thanks given by:
So, normally I charge 30 cents/ft. I'm thinking of going to $39/room, up to 150ft2. And using my master bedroom as an example, it's about 10'x14', so 140 ft2. $39. But with a queen size bed, and 2 dressers, it's down to about 100 ft2, so I'd be charging 39 cents/ft. But if it was an empty room, I'd only be getting about 26 cents/ft. However, I rarely do empty houses/rooms. And I'm thinking of saying that "you can move as much furniture as you like, and we'll clean the rest. We don't mind sliding a couch out, cleaning under it, and sliding it back though." (I'm getting sick of doing ft2 quotes only to show up 2 days later and the room is empty. And they're expecting the same price you quoted)

And I was also thinking of charging my 30 cent/ft for empty homes/apartments. Also, keeping in mind that I have no competition within 45 mins of me. And they'll only come out here every 3 months when they schedule work for a week around here.

Any thoughts? criticisms?
Brent

Keep it Clean, Keep it Longer.
Reply }}
Thanks given by:
Brent, if I recall you are in Smalltown, Manitoba. People in small towns are in the business of relationships, people that dont want to know thy neighbor - move to big big cities!

IMO, build relationships for all you can, for there is the repeat & referral gold. I suspect that you would be wise to consider a 12 min drive as free drive incl free quotes, & outside that circle its either do a free quote when you are already in the area or use the new pricing structure for phone quotes etc.

You really need SFS! Jump across the border & take the train to Roselle Jondon - the train is reasonably cheap to take.

Con
Reply }}
Thanks given by:
Yeah, lets make this the longest post. It had to be a price question? It does seem to attrack everyones attention though! Undecided

Danny Guerra
All Green Floor & Carpet Care
Carpet Cleaning Palmdale Ca
www.allgreencare.com
https://www.youtube.com/user/allgreencare

“Optimists are those who go after Moby dick in a row boat with a bucket of tarter sauce.” Zig Ziglar

Reply }}
Thanks given by:
(04-05-2011, 03:53 PM)Brian R Wrote:
(04-05-2011, 03:07 PM)mikecharles Wrote: It's interesting to note that those who's business model is coupon cheap pricing or cheap whole-house pricing are usually not those doing the work themselves...they have crews or subcontractors that do the work.

I would guess because you have to do a certain amount of jobs to make any money.

The point was that if you're the owner, it's always easier to get someone to work cheaper than you would do the job yourself.

Yes....but that's just life. The person doing the job has less "headaches" for lack of a better term...and probably less ambition as well.

If you ever want to make more than a Professional employee, you will have to have employees or subs.

There are only so many hours you can work and earn what you earn, but if you can make a little money off a lot of other people's labor you can possibly earn significantly more.

If you can set up the system well, so it runs itself --I think I am talking about Chavez?---then you can have significant freedom also.

It is easier and probably more fun most of the time to be a 2 man company with the O/o on the truck with a helper.

Just my thoughts. Brian missed being out with the customers and putting the cash in his pocket---

Quality means doing it right when no one is looking...

Henry Ford
Reply }}
Thanks given by:
(04-06-2011, 03:56 PM)Rick Imby Wrote:
(04-05-2011, 03:53 PM)Brian R Wrote:

If you ever want to make more than a Professional employee, you will have to have employees or subs.

There are only so many hours you can work and earn what you earn, but if you can make a little money off a lot of other people's labor you can possibly earn significantly more.

If you can set up the system well, so it runs itself --I think I am talking about Chavez?---then you can have significant freedom also.

It is easier and probably more fun most of the time to be a 2 man company with the O/o on the truck with a helper.

Just my thoughts. Brian missed being out with the customers and putting the cash in his pocket---

The whole reason I jumped off the truck (besides getting a little injured first) was because I suddenly realized that doing 20 jobs in a day and making 50% was more than doing 4 jobs a day and making 100%.

The whole reason I'm cleaning a little now is because I need the exercises. Big Grin
And this whole Orbot thing is fun.

My other stuff runs by itself for the most part...with a little help from me every few days or when needed.
Systems are very important to get set up in a company or you'll micromanage everything.

Like sprayers. Yikes
Reply }}
Thanks given by:
Quote:besides getting a little injured first
Brian, ya know a broken finger nail doesn't count as an injury, don't you? Tongue
You never rolled in the hay
Ya never thrown it in four wheel
Climb on up in here, girl
Let me show ya how country feels

"How Country Feels" Randy Houser

Reply }}
Thanks given by:
I charge by the sq ft for homes, but I do have a set price for apartments and condos based on how many bedrooms.

I typically give a 'general range' price quote over the phone, but tell them that when I come out, I'll give them the exact pricing after its measured. I've only been in business for a year, but I've never had a client to say no after I do an estimate resulting in a wasted trip. I have people balk at the final cost all the time though (I have premium pricing)... If I can tell if they are about to cancel the appointment based on price, I just find alternate ways for me to stay. I'll look for the cleanest room and tell them that they can deduct $40 from the estimate by me not cleaning that particular room to get the price down. If they agree, I still usually end up cleaning that room because once they see how clean I'm getting their other rooms, they just say 'what the hell' and I just go clean the room and get my full price. Another technique I use if it's a decent sized job ($300 or more residential job), I'll offer free protector in their main rooms if they accept my price quote. Protector doesn't cost much, but it means a lot to your customers. The moral of the story is, I never walk away empty handed from an estimate.
Reply }}
Thanks given by:
(04-06-2011, 04:46 PM)Richardc Wrote:
Quote:besides getting a little injured first
Brian, ya know a broken finger nail doesn't count as an injury, don't you? Tongue

If I can get sympathy for it...it's an injury. Blush
Reply }}
Thanks given by:
(04-06-2011, 04:51 PM)CleaningGreen Wrote: I charge by the sq ft for homes, but I do have a set price for apartments and condos based on how many bedrooms.

I typically give a 'general range' price quote over the phone, but tell them that when I come out, I'll give them the exact pricing after its measured. I've only been in business for a year, but I've never had a client to say no after I do an estimate resulting in a wasted trip. I have people balk at the final cost all the time though (I have premium pricing)... If I can tell if they are about to cancel the appointment based on price, I just find alternate ways for me to stay. I'll look for the cleanest room and tell them that they can deduct $40 from the estimate by me not cleaning that particular room to get the price down. If they agree, I still usually end up cleaning that room because once they see how clean I'm getting their other rooms, they just say 'what the hell' and I just go clean the room and get my full price. Another technique I use if it's a decent sized job ($300 or more residential job), I'll offer free protector in their main rooms if they accept my price quote. Protector doesn't cost much, but it means a lot to your customers. The moral of the story is, I never walk away empty handed from an estimate.

That is great only a year into it and you are a premium priced cleaner. Good Job in believing in yourself. Good job also not going at it saying I can do a better job than most guys for less.....

I am curious, what did you do before Carpets?
Quality means doing it right when no one is looking...

Henry Ford
Reply }}
Thanks given by:
(04-06-2011, 09:05 PM)Rick Imby Wrote:
(04-06-2011, 04:51 PM)CleaningGreen Wrote: I charge by the sq ft for homes, but I do have a set price for apartments and condos based on how many bedrooms.

That is great only a year into it and you are a premium priced cleaner. Good Job in believing in yourself. Good job also not going at it saying I can do a better job than most guys for less.....

I am curious, what did you do before Carpets?

I was a corporate sales management stiff in the healthcare industry, but I grew up around carpet cleaning because my father owns a carpet cleaning business back home.
Reply }}
Thanks given by: