The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Creating default object from empty value - Line: 11 - File: inc/plugins/tapatalk.php PHP 7.4.22 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/plugins/tapatalk.php 11 errorHandler->error
/inc/class_plugins.php 38 require_once
/inc/init.php 239 pluginSystem->load
/global.php 18 require_once
/showthread.php 28 require_once

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Carpets are "clean with just a few spots".
Hey guys,
First post here. I'm glad I found this forum! I started cleaning in November last year and am currently using a 175 and Vacaway/Procyon chems. I still have a full time job but am trying to eventually clean full time.  
I picked up a one room job yesterday and was told that the room was pretty clean but they had a few spots they wanted removed. Needless to say I was surprised when I arrived. Turns out their vacuum cleaner broke several months ago and it hasn't been vacuumed since. I spent a good 20 minutes vacuuming with my Kirby and got a ton up. This was my first time using the microfiber pads with scrub strips and I'm impressed. I would normally go over it with a red VCT pad then cotton bonnets but I went straight to MF and feel like the results were better. I went back the next day to drop off an old vacuum and the carpets looked even better dry. 
Anyone get told that carpets "aren't that bad" then show up to a trashed house?
Eric

[-] The following 1 user Likes Zions Carpet Cleaning's post:
  • Derek
Reply }}
Thanks given by: Derek
nice work! i've never tried MF with scrub strips 1st. i always use Glads 1st and then sometimes follow with a post-dry pad MF scrub strip. am i doing it backwards?
Currently retired from HWE; VLM only. Commercial Only...well except for the occasional resi job every few weeks.

Carpet Cleaning Rochester NY
Carpet Cleaner Rochester NY

The tools I use or have on the van ... in order from most used, to least used:  Dyson ; 19" Cimex ; Multi-Sprayer ; Orbot ; Oreck-Orbiter ; Hoover-Conquest ; Cyclo Polisher ; DryPod ; 20" Whittaker Trio.
Reply }}
Thanks given by:
(07-15-2016, 09:02 PM)Derek Wrote: nice work! i've never tried MF with scrub strips 1st. i always use Glads 1st and then sometimes follow with a post-dry pad MF scrub strip. am i doing it backwards?

Maybe I'm doing it backwards haha. Normally I use a white or red vct pad to agitate and then go over it with a Bonnet Pro problend. I usually struggle with traffic lanes but I really liked the results with just the MF pads. They absorbed a ton of dirt.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Zions Carpet Cleaning's post:
  • Derek
Reply }}
(07-15-2016, 05:52 PM)Zions Carpet Cleaning Wrote: Hey guys,
First post here. I'm glad I found this forum! I started cleaning in November last year and am currently using a 175 and Vacaway/Procyon chems. I still have a full time job but am trying to eventually clean full time.  
I picked up a one room job yesterday and was told that the room was pretty clean but they had a few spots they wanted removed. Needless to say I was surprised when I arrived. Turns out their vacuum cleaner broke several months ago and it hasn't been vacuumed since. I spent a good 20 minutes vacuuming with my Kirby and got a ton up. This was my first time using the microfiber pads with scrub strips and I'm impressed. I would normally go over it with a red VCT pad then cotton bonnets but I went straight to MF and feel like the results were better. I went back the next day to drop off an old vacuum and the carpets looked even better dry. 
Eric

If you do not look at job first then expect the carpet to be worse than you are told. After many years of seeing what you have experienced I charge a $100 min even it is a one room job.
Using a pad with scrub strips  first works best. Fiber pads work too but then you are throwing out that pad after one use. The gray scrub strip pads may not show you the dirt they absorb but the foam inside the pad allows you to keep absorbing dirt much longer then a thin cotton/microfiber pad. I have done jobs with gray pads only when no glad pads were available a few years ago and the jobs came out great and I had no customers calling back because the carpets did not look good after they dried.
learning something new every minute Hands up Laughing
Carpet Cleaning Naples Florida
my youtube channel

Reply }}
Thanks given by:
Same as Joel here. $100 minimum. No exceptions.

I always use fiber pads if the job is very dirty, then go to MF pads with scrub strips, then finish with Glads. I always finish with Glads on every job.

If it's fairly clean, I'll start with MF pads, then use glads on the problem areas.

If it's super clean I'll just use a glads.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Carpet Cleaning Salinas, Monterey, Pebble Beach Ca
ProGreen Kleen & Floor Care
http://Progreenkleen.net
[-] The following 1 user Likes Lefty724's post:
  • Barry-QDCC
Reply }}
Thanks given by: Barry-QDCC
so wet MF's then wet Glads? or are the Glads barely damp?? how do you keep from over-wetting the carpet? my system of finishing with a dry MF sped up my dry times.
Currently retired from HWE; VLM only. Commercial Only...well except for the occasional resi job every few weeks.

The tools I use or have on the van ... in order from most used, to least used:  Dyson ; 19" Cimex ; Multi-Sprayer ; Orbot ; Oreck-Orbiter ; Hoover-Conquest ; Cyclo Polisher ; DryPod ; 20" Whittaker Trio.
Reply }}
Thanks given by:
I have had success with the spray system on the trinity machine and just put the gray microfiber down ---spray and go.  I use glads to absorb after gray or I just use dry gray if I dont have a nice white new looking glad pad with me.   01 nozzles for resi and maybe 02 for commercial.

Spray go  dry done.  No over wetting occurs unless you stay in one spot or soak carpet with a pump up sprayer and soak carpet before you start machine.

look through my videos of carpet cleaning like the newest one on pet stains
learning something new every minute Hands up Laughing
Carpet Cleaning Naples Florida
my youtube channel

Reply }}
Thanks given by:
Welcome to the forum! I'm happy to be involved here too.
[-] The following 2 users Like Logan Brown's post:
  • Derek, Zions Carpet Cleaning
Reply }}
Thanks given by: Derek , Zions Carpet Cleaning
unfortunately my Orbot needs dwell time for maximum results  Sad    if i had one of John's machines i guess i could get by without it. thanks though Joel.

Reply }}
Thanks given by:
I'm trying a host of different things.  I'd like to figure out how to get the absolute best clean with the fewest passes.

If carpet is really bad with lots of spots I start with green astro pad.  I have Trinity OP with on-board spray.  I use astro to work in Hot Knife or Grease Hawg and give it 10+minutes of dwell.  Then glad pads, then finish with Bonnet Pro all cotton pads.  The cotton does a great job absorbing moisture and extra dirt the glads seem to leave.  Very good results but minimum of three (usually more) passes.

If carpet is "just" bad - not really bad, I start with grey micro-fiber pad, go to glad, then finish with all cotton pad.

I can't seem to get consistent results with anything less than this 3 pad system.

Joel is 100% right.  If customer describes condition of carpet to you and you don't see it....IT WILL ALWAYS BE WORSE THAN YOU WERE TOLD.
[-] The following 1 user Likes alanS's post:
  • Derek
Reply }}
wow Alan, that's a lot of different passes Yikes  the results must be great with that many. i assume your Trin gives better results, quicker than my Orbot. i allow dwell but never work it in. more passes/steps = better results every time. i'm sure you charge accordingly. Good Job

Reply }}
Thanks given by:
Hey Eric, I noticed you said you used a Kirby to vacuum.  If you do not edge when you vacuum, you might want to consider adding that to your system.  It took me a couple of years to understand the importance, but now  I do it on EVERY job!  Glad you are getting good results.

Hey Alan, most carpets you should be able to do with 2 passes. Only the worst should take 3.  Tip:  Use a  pump up or other sprayer to pre-spray bad spots.  This should help in removing with only two passes.  

FYI my system:

1. Edge
2. Pre Vacuum
3. Pre spray (rocket sprayer)
4. CRB (Strong Dry) 85% soil removal and great at lifting pile
5. Trinity
6. Post vacuum

The guys responding to you on this post are True VLM Vets!!
Palmetto Carpet & Tile Cleaners
Facebook

OP machines (Trinity Beast, Profit, Oreck Orbiter, Stepson);  Strong Dry CRB 15" 
[-] The following 1 user Likes SC Cleaner's post:
  • Zions Carpet Cleaning
Reply }}
Thanks given by: Zions Carpet Cleaning
Just keep at it. You'll get the results you want in time as long as you're persistent.
Reply }}
Thanks given by:
Well, since we are keeping the thread going I think we can share experiences and learn from each other.

I absolutely agree with SC Cleaner about edges.  Finding the details that your competition skips sets you apart.  Make sure you let your customers know why you are different.  In my area I'm competing with no less that 12 HWE carpet cleaners.  Most do not pre-vacuum, even the ones that claim to be IICRC certified.  I point that out to my customers. 

When I pre-vac I make sure I get the edges.

I started out pre-spraying, dwell, then OP, but I have had better results when I work the solution into the carpet, then dwell, then extract.  

I tried the Malish brush/bonnet driver combo.  Something like this would be my dream if it could hold a cotton pad.  Unfortunately it would only hold a synthetic pad (for encap only).  And that did not leave the carpet clean enough. I did like the idea of a brush to work the solution into the carpet.  Would have saved me a step if it could have held a quality cotton pad.

The next thing I'm going to experiment with is using hot water rather than room temp.  It would seem that hot water would provide a better clean.  The test would be Grease Hawg w/hot water vs Grease Hawg, room temp water, boosted with peroxide.  Which cleans better?
Reply }}
Thanks given by:
I always bring the Kirby hose along with me and edge on every job. These guys didn't have a vacuum for months and and used a broom to sweep the carpet so the edges were nasty. I've had several customers notice and comment on the amount of time spent vacuuming and appreciate the effort. 
I can't wait until I can afford a CRB and Trinity but for now I'm plugging away with my 175. I do plan on getting a dirt napper for it sooner than later though. I usually only do about one job a week for now so money for new toys is scarce.
Reply }}
Thanks given by:
yea pre-scrubbing in your pre-spray gives huge improvement over just dwell time for sure. all part of that old cleaning pie Good Job

Reply }}
Thanks given by:
(07-15-2016, 05:52 PM)Zions Carpet Cleaning Wrote: Hey guys,
Eric

Personally speaking, I always assume the worst. Also, when a prospect says 'its not that bad', it's actually worse. When they say 'its really bad', it usually isn't  Wink

Regarding process, using a vacuum and 175, I would certainly incorporate a fiber pad to agitate as you are now. Also work towards getting a CRB at some point as it will come in very handy with your process. 

Something that dirty would be better suited for cotton and microfiber, imo (agitate with fiber, cotton pass and then a final microfiber pass).
I'm just trying to hack my way to glory.

Get Encapsulation Pads & More!

1 X's Orbot, Windsor & Sanitare Vacs, Multisprayer, Oreck Orbitor, Stepson, BrushEncap (TM4) CRB  
Reply }}
Thanks given by: