The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Creating default object from empty value - Line: 11 - File: inc/plugins/tapatalk.php PHP 7.4.25 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/plugins/tapatalk.php 11 errorHandler->error
/inc/class_plugins.php 38 require_once
/inc/init.php 239 pluginSystem->load
/global.php 18 require_once
/showthread.php 28 require_once

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What percent of your jobs do you Upsell?
Upsell can have a bad connotation if you are upselling valuless extras that should be included with the job you are being paid for.

Do you believe in Carpet Protector and do you sell it?

Do you try to get extra rooms to clean if they booked just 3 rooms?

Do you try to get them to have you clean upholstery?

Tile and Grout upsells?

Do you charge them extra to clean their door mats and area rugs--Oh while you are here could you?

Do you try to get them to let you clean their garage floor---That Question is for Corky...

In my life as a salesman I only sold items I felt would help the customer. It makes it really easy to upsell if you believe in protector.

Go back through your invoices for the last two months and look at how many you actually upsold.....
Quality means doing it right when no one is looking...

Henry Ford
Reply }}
Thanks given by:
what exactly is defined as an upsell?

If their carpet needs protector - it needs it, it is not an upsell to me. if the fabric needs cleaning, it needs cleaning.

Upsell to me sure sounds like selling something they dont need.

I choose to be their professional coach for cleaning and advise them as I would my mother in that situation. None of which I would call 'upselling'

that said - about 65% of my work receives protection and about 80% of our work is repeat clients. Honesty & integrity are primary basics to biz - IMO

Con
Reply }}
Thanks given by:
Very few to none.

We really need to work with our tech's in that area.

We work hard with them to be good cleaners, technically proficent and to look and act in a professional manor when in the clients home or business that we do next to nothing with them when it comes to add on sales.

I'd want to make sure they are not pushy but if they saw an need for a service we provide, to at least mention it.
You never rolled in the hay
Ya never thrown it in four wheel
Climb on up in here, girl
Let me show ya how country feels

"How Country Feels" Randy Houser

Reply }}
Thanks given by:
Click here for the Definition of upselling.

Would you like some fries with that burger?

Would you like us to apply protector to your carpet after we clean it?

Would you like us to clean your sofa while we are here?

Would you like us to clean any other rooms?

Would you like for me to call my friend Phil in from Florida???

Phil will entertain you while I clean and then he will spit-shine your carpet with his special buffing machine when I am finished. That will only be $xx,xxx.00 for his services plus the airfare for him and his special buffing machine.

For a few dollars more we can even fly in the one and only PigMan carpet cleaner. You might be not quite be able to understand his sutherin broge, but it will be a once in a lifetime experience that I promise you will never forget Ms Jones!

We aim to please! We can also have "kOKo the klown" come all the way from NeeBRASSkee and apply his magic d'limonene juice to your spots and stains.... If you have any young daughters you might want them to leave while KokO is here though.
[Image: LogoSmall.jpg]
Products that make you a HERO in your customer's eyes!Rdance
Reply }}
Thanks given by:
People down here have no trouble understanding me! I will get you

I don't do a lot of upselling. I know I should, and there have been times in the past where I have focused on upselling. All I have to do is just ask and people usually say yes, but my prices are fairly high for this area and by the time I upsell protector their prices are astronomical. I worry that after I leave the sticker shock will get to them. Anyway ... I am probably just overthinking the idea ... now that I think about it ... I wonder if it is possible for me to overthink an idea ... dance

This morning I actually DID upsell on my first job. I cleaned an entrance foyer, a living room/dining room combo and a hall. She also wanted her loveseat cleaned. I have been cleaning for this lady for years and years and lately her home environment has changed considerably. She is sick with some type of neurological disease and is on a walker. She is no longer able to vacuum well before I arrive, and she has a new dog in the house. It's one of those Alaskan Huskys ... huge... and sheds like a muther. Also lays about on the carpet and gets dirt everywhere. Also, her husband has started being dirtier than I have ever seen him be before. All of a sudden, he thinks he can come in from work and not take his shoes off. He works in some kind of garage/machine shop environment and has grease all over him. He sits on the loveseat in his work clothes.

All of this additional soiling is new for her ... started over the past couple of years. So, I am now recommending a solvent protector on her loveseat and teflon on her carpets. This additional service, AND the extra work I am having to put in to clean her upholstery and carpets has raised the price she pays me up by about $100 over what she used to pay me. She needs it, and I have no problem selling it to her, but she will get tired of paying this extra money after about a year, or so, and will branch out and try another cleaner.

She'll probably come back ... but I am almost certain this stretches her budget to the breaking point.
Reply }}
Thanks given by:
An upsell is just doing more services than you booked.

"just want 3 rooms"
You get there and she loves your personality so much she has the whole house done.
Upsell

Yer done with the cleaning and she's amazed so she wants the protectoer.

Upsell

It only has a negative ring to it because the guys who hear it and think your screwing someone are skeered to do it....so knocking it is much easier.

Offer what you have to offer...if they bite, great. If they don't...just do the job you are there to do.

I'll have to go back and see what Steve's link is. thanks

EDIT: I looked at STeve's link....Man I get sick of being right all the time. Tongue
Reply }}
Thanks given by:
(04-13-2011, 11:34 AM)Steve Smith Wrote: Click here for the Definition of upselling.

Would you like some fries with that burger?

Would you like us to apply protector to your carpet after we clean it?

Would you like us to clean your sofa while we are here?

Would you like us to clean any other rooms?

Would you like for me to call my friend Phil in from Florida???

Phil will entertain you while I clean and then he will spit-shine your carpet with his special buffing machine when I am finished. That will only be $xx,xxx.00 for his services plus the airfare for him and his special buffing machine.

For a few dollars more we can even fly in the one and only PigMan carpet cleaner. You might be not quite be able to understand his sutherin broge, but it will be a once in a lifetime experience that I promise you will never forget Ms Jones!

We aim to please! We can also have "kOKo the klown" come all the way from NeeBRASSkee and apply his magic d'limonene juice to your spots and stains.... If you have any young daughters you might want them to leave while KokO is here though.

LOL Down Laughing
Reply }}
Thanks given by:
Marty must have a killer agent.

Quote:For a few dollars more we can even fly in the one and only PigMan carpet cleaner.

That hurts.
Reply }}
Thanks given by:
Upsell Zero %....

When we schedule, we ask if they want any other services that we offer.

Our clients know what we do, and they call us when they are ready for us to do it. They know what they want, when they want it, & cleaning upsells are not an impulse buy for them.

From time to time, they do decide to add an area, sofa, etc. at the time of arrival, and ask us if we have time.

But it was their idea, not from any suggestion from us to supersize their fries & coke

Your experience & customers may differ....
Reply }}
Thanks given by:
and I see wikpedia endorses my comments as well... as other comments too. 2 sides to this coin. client TRUST is not something I am going to mess with -they already pay us a fortune to do our usual awesome cleaning in the first place. Our profit line is built into every cleaning job - whether the client buys protector or not. i have sold more 'other things' because of being honest & suggesting that "this (whatever) item they were thinking does not need cleaning as yet - however these other areas that you were not planning for today are already overdue - you may be making unwise decisions by putting that part off any longer and this is why...".

good thread!

Con
Reply }}
Thanks given by:
You are doing your custmers a disservice by NOT asking

"is there anything else I can do for you while I'm here?"

You can discount the service some (saving them money) because you're already there.

And they may not even know you provide a certain service.

I like the menu idea...I'll have to make one up and laminate it.

I've got sooo much to do. LOL

I'll probably get around to it when PigsFly

Hands up Laughing
Reply }}
Thanks given by:
indeed Brian, waaay easier to be the BB cc preacher than it is to do every good suggestion there is to do.

Con
Reply }}
Thanks given by:
A couple of you guys seem to think upsell is dirty word.

For good businesses, it is just helping the customer remember the other services you offer.

If Steve's daughter happens to mention they just got in another batch of Cottons from Turkey is that bad?

You are totally immersed in the services you offer, the customer with a contact once or twice a year is probably not as knowledgeable as you think.

My definition of an upsell is doing any job that was not ordered prior to your arrival.

Rick
Quality means doing it right when no one is looking...

Henry Ford
Reply }}
Thanks given by:
Probably would be a good idea for me on most of my jobs.
[/align]
But On many of my days. I dont have time to do extra services. If a customer asks me to do an extra room I will always say yes even if it messes up my schedule but I wont go out of my way to mess up my schedule.

If I see something that needs to be done I may mention that we also do upholstery or Tile cleaning. But other then that not so much.
Reply }}
Thanks given by:
(04-14-2011, 09:42 AM)Con Schultz Wrote: indeed Brian, waaay easier to be the BB cc preacher than it is to do every good suggestion there is to do.

Con

I hear ya...If I actually DID everything that I've thought of or reguritated...I'd either be very rich or very poor. Beer
Reply }}
Thanks given by:
I too am with Joel

We schedule so tight - there is not much time for extras while we are there. We can fit in maybe an extra 1/2 hour, but we'd never fit in more than 1 hour unless it was the last day of the job & the wives werent at home with hot meals ready & waiting. My typical day is about 11 hours scheduled, hence why it is always after 10:30 pm local time before I check in on the BB's, and I check in 8:30 - 9:30 AM before I go for my day.

Con
Reply }}
Thanks given by:
(04-15-2011, 01:40 AM)Con Schultz Wrote: I too am with Joel

We schedule so tight - there is not much time for extras while we are there. We can fit in maybe an extra 1/2 hour, but we'd never fit in more than 1 hour unless it was the last day of the job & the wives werent at home with hot meals ready & waiting. My typical day is about 11 hours scheduled, hence why it is always after 10:30 pm local time before I check in on the BB's, and I check in 8:30 - 9:30 AM before I go for my day.

Con

I don't get this. I schedule my day (always have) to give time for those upsells. The money you make off the upsells in a home is going to earn you a higher profit than that 1 or 2 extra jobs you are doing (all money being the same).

If the demand for your service is high and tight, maybe it's time to "ad" another truck?

Again, if a customer wants something extra done while you're there...I think it's a positive moment of truth to be able to do it.

As long as it doesn't screw you up for the next appt. But I've never given on time appts anyway. To many variables in CCing.
Reply }}
Thanks given by:
Hi Brian,

I guess when I am averaging $130 - 150/hr drive up to drive away... and I can do that about 150 days a year all day long... what more do I want? I dont think I am hurting except when it comes to tax time LOL

I am not a seeker of 'make or take all the money I can while I have the opportunity whilst the client wallet is open' mentality.

On the other hand - I am happy, I am content, I never missed a meal or a mortgage payment. Doubtful to retire before 55... LOL

Con
Reply }}
Thanks given by:
Con, is it also safe to assume you know to the penny what your day's total should be in advance?

That is very valuable.

The upsell thing is a good idea when one has time. But when a man is scheduling to the extent Con is, upsells might take away from an already hefty gross.

Clear to me.
Reply }}
Thanks given by:
Phil, absolutely!

SFS grinds this into you.

Con
Reply }}
Thanks given by: