The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Creating default object from empty value - Line: 11 - File: inc/plugins/tapatalk.php PHP 7.4.29 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/plugins/tapatalk.php 11 errorHandler->error
/inc/class_plugins.php 38 require_once
/inc/init.php 239 pluginSystem->load
/global.php 18 require_once
/showthread.php 28 require_once

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Saltillo Tile Cleaning
Anyone clean this type of tile with an Orbot or other OP machine? Procedure? Chems?
Reply }}
Thanks given by:
(04-20-2011, 08:46 PM)Marc Imbesi Wrote: Anyone clean this type of tile with an Orbot or other OP machine? Procedure? Chems?

I'm not a T&G guy, but isn't Saltillo basically a ceramic type tile?

If so, to do a super job on the grout you might want to invest in a tile and grout brush & weight system for the Orbot. Sorry, I can't be more help.I'm sorry

BTW, Intensity RED works great on tile and grout. I used it here on my own kitchen floor. I think Marty has used Peroxcellent for T&G cleaning.
[Image: LogoSmall.jpg]
Products that make you a HERO in your customer's eyes!Rdance
Reply }}
Thanks given by:
Saltillo Tile can be problems for the guys using TM's I'm not sure if you have the same issues using an OP machine.

I have no personal experience but I've read lots of posts where someone is complaining about efflorescence, damage from pressure or problems with sealers when cleaning Saltillo.

I'd keep doing research before jumping in to quickly. Use the search on some of the other boards and see what you can find or who is doing them and then talk with them.
You never rolled in the hay
Ya never thrown it in four wheel
Climb on up in here, girl
Let me show ya how country feels

"How Country Feels" Randy Houser

Reply }}
Thanks given by:
Steve,

Already purchased and used the Orbot with tile brush and weights on porcelain using a box store cleaner. I wasnt impressed with Anamoly years ago (2008ish) and my Challenger. Is RED your first recommendation for tile and grout, these days?

Saltillo is nothing like ceramic or porcelain. There is a finish or sealer put on the floor after installation that needs to be stripped and reapplied. This job is for a new friends home and I have permission to Guinea pig (sorry Marty) the cleaning. Rich, I have heard the same about TM operators having probs and want to shine in this area, b/c metro Phoenix is loaded with this CRAP!

I'll post some info Ive found later. On my way to meet with the HOA prez of a 10,000 home 55+ subdivision....
Reply }}
Thanks given by:
Hey goober! Post a freakin picture so we'll know what you're talking about!!!
Reply }}
Thanks given by:
Intensity RED or Peroxcellent would be my choice for T&G. But I am not a T&G guy... I have not did much of it at all.
Reply }}
Thanks given by:
What are you trying to do with the saltillo? Just a clean, or a scrub and recoat, or a fullt strip and recoat?

Saltillo is a pain in the keister. You would be better off using a 175 then an op machine. It will do the same thing without getting crap all over your $2k op machine.
Reply }}
Thanks given by:
This floor needs a strip and a recoat...I do have an old Challenger I could sacrifice for this job. Everything I am reading says to roll on stripper, let dwell and wipe off. Would the Challenger and a clean dry pad accomplish this?

Got some great info on this company's website, thus looking to use their products. http://www.aldonchem.com/mt-mexican-tile-seal-clean.htm
Reply }}
Thanks given by:
Ok here goes.

A) for a full strip and seal make sure you are charging at least $2 a square foot for a full strip and seal. And that would be if you are doing it for a friend that you like and you have a truckmount to make the strip go faster.

b) 70+ % of the time saltillo has a poly fortified sealant on it. It is a mother to strip. There is no easy way to do it and quite often it has to be scrubbed off. Test a few different strippers to find out which one works best. Like I said this will be a mother to get it all off. And maybe you will be lucky that they do not have a poly on there. test test test. Do not test in the out of the way areas either. you have to test in 3 or 4 different areas because it is entirely possible that in the middle of the room is one coat and on the sides is 20 coates.

c) If it has poly on it a nyla grit brush is in your future.

d) once you are done stripping you need to wait 2 -3 days beforeapplying the Aldon Sealer. you need to do this to make sure the saltillo tiles are completly dry. (saltillo is just a clay tile with a glaze on top) For best results use a sprayer for the sealer. Also need to make sure that the spray hose is a nylon hose. Aldon sealers will eat right through a plastic hose. and you will spray crap everywhere.

After spraying the 1st coat you have to wait at least 4 hours before spraying subsequent coats. Saltillo is very pourous and you will go through sealer like crazy. 150-200 sf per gallon for the 1st two coats and then 300 - 400 sf per gallon after that. Last job I did I went through 4 gallons of Aldon at $49 a gallon on a 300 sf job. for 3 coates.

E) warn your client that the house will stink for a week at best. It is an awesome sealer but it stinks alot.

let me know if I forgot anything.
Reply }}
Thanks given by:
I am impressed with your knowledge Joel on this one!

Con
Reply }}
Thanks given by:
Thanks Joel... it is cool to know we have your expertise on this board.Coolthanks
Reply }}
Thanks given by:
Excellent post Joel!

Reply }}
Thanks given by:
Not to take away from Joel, or anything, but I could have told the same thing if a PICTURE had been put in this thread.

You see, down here in Bama, we aren't smart enough to know what a STALLETTO, or whatever, tile is, but we can remember cleaning a floor just like the picture once.

After watching this DAT for a few days (weeks?), I think I know what floor we are talking about. I did one a few years ago and it was a complete PITA and I laugh at someone who wants to do one with just a vibrating machine.

LOL
Reply }}
Thanks given by:
(04-22-2011, 08:23 AM)Pigchip Wrote: Not to take away from Joel, or anything, but I could have told the same thing if a PICTURE had been put in this thread.

You see, down here in Bama, we aren't smart enough to know what a STALLETTO, or whatever, tile is, but we can remember cleaning a floor just like the picture once.

After watching this DAT for a few days (weeks?), I think I know what floor we are talking about. I did one a few years ago and it was a complete PITA and I laugh at someone who wants to do one with just a vibrating machine.

LOL

Marty thought this Click Here was was what you were talking about Mark. He still don't undersand where an OP machine would be useful.
Reply }}
Thanks given by:
Joel,

Thank you, so much, for sharing and going into detail. I've been reading a lot on this project and someone's first hand experience is invaluable. I am going to the client's home on Monday to test the existing finish and measure. I'm planning on just doing the kitchen (aprrox 300sqft) from start to finish over the course of a week. Then I'm looking at another 2 sections of this flooring to complete the job. I will post pictures as I more along.

Oh....and thank you Marty for your contribution. You see, where Marty lacks knowledge he subs in laughter, and I've been LOL @ him throughout this thread!
Reply }}
Thanks given by:
Marty is very intellegent, he just does and excellent job of hiding it! Tongue

dance

Reply }}
Thanks given by:
So I guess we really aren't talking about wimin's shoes?

Reply }}
Thanks given by:
Couple of other things I forgot to mention.

a porty that is set up for tile cleaning and a spinner Would also work well for the strip or even a 15 gallon wet dry vac. It is very import that you try and minimize your liquids as much as possible. You do not want the tiles to be soaked or you will have a longer wait for them to be thoroughly dry. That is important prior to sealing.

After you apply how ever many coats of Aldon that you are going to apply you have to wait 5 or 6 days before you put any other topcoat on it. This will make sure that it is fully cured. And you will have less chance that your top coat will be rejected.

Reply }}
Thanks given by: