The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Creating default object from empty value - Line: 11 - File: inc/plugins/tapatalk.php PHP 7.4.25 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/plugins/tapatalk.php 11 errorHandler->error
/inc/class_plugins.php 38 require_once
/inc/init.php 239 pluginSystem->load
/global.php 18 require_once
/showthread.php 28 require_once

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Cat Allergies
I am going to be cleaning for a client who is moving into new home. Previous owner had cats and client is allergic. I'll be cleaning OP with perox or Intensity GREEN, is there any additional treatment I can provide after cleaning to help with allergies? Will a thorough cleaning remove dander?
Reply }}
Thanks given by:
(05-10-2011, 07:39 AM)Rug Beater Wrote: I am going to be cleaning for a client who is moving into new home. Previous owner had cats and client is allergic. I'll be cleaning OP with perox or Intensity GREEN, is there any additional treatment I can provide after cleaning to help with allergies? Will a thorough cleaning remove dander?
My opinion would be yes. My son is highly allergic to cats and other various things. Before we put all hardwood floors down My wife vaccummed thouroughly and religously and we had 3 cats

Reply }}
Thanks given by:
Actually hard floors can be worse for allergies.

People THINK that by switching to hard floors that they don't have to sweep or clean those floors as much. But reality is that when those cats walk around all day long on that hard floor they are still shedding that hair etc. So when you do sweep you raise that dust storm and it gets in the air more. Then it is sucked into your air system and your symptoms get worse.

You have to be just as diligent in using a treated dust mop as you are in using a vacuum cleaner on carpet.

I see this all the time when people complain that they are going to hard floors to get away from the constant upkeep and to help their alergies.But the fact is they are poor cleaners and quickly they are overwhelmed by the same symptoms.

Also don't discount that all that cat dander/hair is now in the duct work and it will continue to blow out all the time. So reccomend duct cleaning as well. But good luck because cat hair is in every nook and cranny in a house and you could spend years trying to clean it out.

Reply }}
Thanks given by:
Vacuum, vacuum vacuum.

Then clean

Then Vacuum

Jimmy is right. It was a 70's thing that told people to rip out their carpets to help allergies and asthma....like everything, once they did the real studies...the view changes.

I tell every cat owner or tenants moving into a cats old house this simple phrase

"Cat hair is infinite"

Eliminating it would be like trying to scure our country's boarders....not gonna happen.
There will always a little left behind and a little getting through.

But, we always do our best to bring it to a livable condition.....and with each cleaning it will get better.

Also, instruct the new tennant about vacuuming 2 X's a week at least and with decent, cleaned out vacuum.

This has been a moment with Brian. Cool
Reply }}
Thanks given by:
The idea with hard surfaces to carpet is the fact that carpet catches most of the junk and holds it until you vacuumm.....but vacuuming is the key.
Hard surfaces just let everything float around in the air for you to breathe and be effected by.

Your carpet is the biggest air filter you have your home (but you already knew that) so it needs to be cleaned out periodically just like any good air filter will.

And yet another moment.....oh nevermind.
Tongue
Reply }}
Thanks given by:
(05-10-2011, 08:46 AM)Jimmy Wrote: Actually hard floors can be worse for allergies.

People THINK that by switching to hard floors that they don't have to sweep or clean those floors as much. But reality is that when those cats walk around all day long on that hard floor they are still shedding that hair etc. So when you do sweep you raise that dust storm and it gets in the air more. Then it is sucked into your air system and your symptoms get worse.

You have to be just as diligent in using a treated dust mop as you are in using a vacuum cleaner on carpet.

I see this all the time when people complain that they are going to hard floors to get away from the constant upkeep and to help their alergies.But the fact is they are poor cleaners and quickly they are overwhelmed by the same symptoms.

Also don't discount that all that cat dander/hair is now in the duct work and it will continue to blow out all the time. So reccomend duct cleaning as well. But good luck because cat hair is in every nook and cranny in a house and you could spend years trying to clean it out.
You are so right Carpeting acts like a filter and traps alot of that nasty stuff. My wife compalins about the cat an dog hair but she is still dilligent about keeping down the dust etc

Reply }}
Thanks given by:
You fartheads get you own thread.

Back to the point, MasterBlend's anti-allergin treatment MAY be of help. I'd call them about it and see.
Reply }}
Thanks given by:
And don't forget to vacuum again. Big Grin
Reply }}
Thanks given by:
(05-10-2011, 03:56 PM)Pigchip Wrote: You fartheads get you own thread.

Back to the point, MasterBlend's anti-allergin treatment MAY be of help. I'd call them about it and see.
Farthead is going to be my new word instead of doushe bag

Reply }}
Thanks given by:
(05-10-2011, 09:08 AM)Brian R Wrote: Your carpet is the biggest air filter you have your home (but you already knew that) so it needs to be cleaned out periodically just like any good air filter will.

I use that line all the time. You should see the slack jawed dumbfounded looks I get.

Reply }}
Thanks given by:
Just my own personal opinion but I would think that a person trying to clean for allergens would probably be be best served by HWE with masterblends anti Alergen treatment or Hypo-alergenic treatment. I think you will remove more allergens that way.
Reply }}
Thanks given by:
No manufacturer of OP juices to my knowledge has ever done studies to say their stuff works or not. So OP has no known for sure yes or no answers to my knowledge. I presume it would work close to HWE success, but then the water temp is not there to help lower bacteria counts, so what would help it then? Great Q beater!

After 23 years of cleaning, I know of no client we have ever done that needed more treatment that just GREAT routine cleaning & no extra treatments at all using TM & RX flushing. Vacuuming is presumed already well done. We use a lot of Abstraction juices as our primary HWE prespray for the unregistered & poorly documented medical benefit that cannot be written on the label. I have not researched antiallergen formulas to verify if their is something special - or not - about them. Persons using no heat porty's I think have more challenges relating to allergens IMO

Con
Reply }}
Thanks given by:
Con, speaking of bacteria counts. IMO, the peroxide in Peroxcellent, especially with a bit of dwell time, will lower the bacteria count much, much more than the temperature of the water from a truckmount applied at such a short time.

Peroxide article from e-How.com follows:

"What is Hydrogen Peroxide?
Hydrogen peroxide is a solution that has both personal and industrial uses. It is a natural disinfectant and bleach. One of its industrial uses is to bleach paper; for personal use, hydrogen peroxide is well-known as a teeth whitener and cleaner. It also kills germs and bacteria and is useful for cleaning insect bites and small cuts and scrapes. Hydrogen peroxide costs less than $1 and is readily available in drug stores.

Types of Hydrogen Peroxide
Hydrogen peroxide comes in various strengths. The product sold in drug stores is usually a mild 3-percent hydrogen peroxide (the remaining 97% is water). Other strengths range from 22 percent to 35 percent and are not considered safe for personal use. The higher strengths of hydrogen peroxide are sometimes sold in health food stores as a disinfectant. There is also a pure form of hydrogen peroxide than can be dangerous if used improperly.

How Hydrogen Peroxide Kills Bacteria
Hydrogen peroxide is always in a dark-brown bottle as light decreases its potency. Hydrogen peroxide is created from oxygen and hydrogen molecules. It is the oxygen responsible for the killing of germs. When hydrogen peroxide is applied to a surface, it reacts quickly and then breaks down into water hydrogen. At the same time, free oxygen radicals are released; these create oxidation, a chemical process in which oxygen combines with another substance to break down or change the function of the molecules. Through oxidation, the bacteria decomposes, rendering it harmless.

Research and Studies
In a 2003 issue of the "Journal of Food and Science," research indicated that hydrogen peroxide could decontaminate fruits and vegetables infected with E.coli. The Environmental Protection Agency has approved the use of hydrogen peroxide as a sanitizer. According to the EPA, "Hydrogen peroxide, well known as an ingredient in disinfectant products, is now also approved for controlling microbial pests on crops growing indoors and outdoors, and on certain crops after harvest. This active ingredient prevents and controls bacteria and fungi that cause serious plant diseases." Housing and Urban Development (HUD) states that hydrogen peroxide can be used to kill certain strains of mold, but that there is not enough research available to recommend it to eliminate mold in homes."

For everyone's information, when Peroxcellent is applied at 10oz per gallon, the amount of peroxide that actually reaches the carpet is a bit less than half the amount you apply to a wound when you use the 3% peroxide bought in a pharmacy. Still enough to kill most bacteria; especially when given a few minutes dwell time.dance
[Image: LogoSmall.jpg]
Products that make you a HERO in your customer's eyes!Rdance
Reply }}
Thanks given by:
Thanks for all the help. I initially felt like HWE might be the best solution but am no confident that a thorough pre-vac perox with dwell time and a good post vac will take care of the carpet. I'll also pass along the suggestion for duct cleaning.

Thanks guys
Reply }}
Thanks given by:
I think masterblends anti alergen contains peroxide.

Reply }}
Thanks given by:
(05-11-2011, 07:39 AM)Jimmy Wrote: I think masterblends anti alergen contains peroxide.

I don't think so Jimbo... It isn't mentioned on the MSDS and it has a pH of 10... Peroxide will deteriorate very rapidly at that pH.
Reply }}
Thanks given by:
Wait just a cotton pickin minute....less than 3% when it hits the carpet?

Why does it work so well to take out yellowing and odor at the level?

I know there is more to Peroxcellent then athe perox part.

I don't want you to give away your ancient Chinese secret huh? but inquiring minds want to know.

Either way...thanks for the info in your peroxide post. Awesome.

STEAMERS SUCK....no really they have powerful vacuums....But this is just another feather in my cap for the ongoing quest to prove that HWE is not the Cats Bootay as they think.

Reply }}
Thanks given by:
It has a bit of "Eye of Nute" in it, but please don't tell my competition!

Nevermind, you can tell them cuz they will never figure out just the right amount.dance
Reply }}
Thanks given by:
I wuz talking to Paul Brown yesterday (yes, he is still alive) and he mentioned to me that he adds hydrogenperoxide to all his presprays. Says he wants to kill the bacteria and not just clean the carpets.
Reply }}
Thanks given by:
I buy the 40 volume by the gallon for $8.50 ea.

I spike all my prespray with it too.

Seems you have had a MAn CrUsH on this Paul Brown for years Porky.

While his diatribes are long and winded and offering only common knowledge I figured out you're more impressed by how he writes the story.

And I suspect you enjoy reading romance novels too.

Reply }}
Thanks given by: